Your Mopar Kids

-

Robj

Reaction score
I'm sure proud of mine and I know everyone else is too. My son and I played around with my 74 Satellite for quite awhile bonding through our work. He drove it to football practice once and destroyed the front suspension hitting a curb. Guess who got to do all the work? Luckily we have a donor car. He also build the engine currently in it about two years ago.

View attachment a sat sus.jpg

View attachment a lower control.jpg

View attachment a cross.jpg

I knew the car would eventually be his so I let him decide colors and such. The K member had to be replaced too. I've since gifted the car to him when he graduated from college and he's been doing a ton of work on it. My brother in law is a body man so they've been doing some modifications.

View attachment a paint.jpg

Being a '74, the front and rear bumpers had those awful plastic filler strips that were toast. They narrowed the front and rear bumpers and shortened the mounts to suck them in to the body. They also made pockets in the fenders and quarters for the bumper ends. The rear valance was cut and flared for exhaust tips and the hood scoops were made functional. The inner side has a sheet metal box made to fit the scoops.

View attachment a ear bumper.jpg

View attachment a ex.jpg

View attachment a valance.jpg

View attachment a sat 1.jpg

View attachment a scoop.jpg

The first and last photos are seven years apart. That 2004 shirt he's wearing was a leftover freebie they were giving out at school one day. This photo is of him as a senior in 2007. He's grown up a lot and I'm really proud of him. When he's home he'll still tinker with me on the Dart while they have down time on the Satellite. The last photo of the two of us was a year ago before they began the body work.

View attachment a sat.jpg

Post photos of your Mopar kids.

How great to be working on Mopars with your kids, I am a bit jealous! Have three daughters, who like my "Moparcars," but their interest ended as soon as dance, soccer or golf , recital, game or match beckoned!

Love working with my kids on the Mopar..note to self...take more pictures of the kids when they are in the garage.. It is the best..

the way I figure it is that they are expensive so you got to get your monies worth :)

after flipping the car..

HPIM7036aa-L.jpg

Rob,

On an aside, we as parents have got to get the kids interested in this hobby or they will all be driving hondas..

I went back to school this year and that is all they talk about..yeash..that and jacked up Chebby trucks.. Whats a mopar ?

Ian.

Hey Ian, I know what you mean. Our big annual car show here has the usual show and shines all week long prior to the big event. On one of the days, each of the three big high schools has a show and shine all day on their quad. It's really fun to see the kids coming out and looking at cars they've never seen before. It also gives us a chance to talk to the students who do have cars on display. It's a neat event.

Rob

It also cuts down on the "dad" cars when they know how everything works..but they still call us for the serious stuff..one morning at 2 am..well never mind..

This is how I got into old cars. As a kid my old man did body work/paint. To this day the smells of paint and filler bring me back to my childhood. He bought a wrecked 76 Warlock when I was about 3rd grade. He spent days heating and shrinking the hood and patching together the rear fender. threw some paint on it and used it as a daily driver. hit a deer 3 yrs later and redid the entire front clip again. then when I was of driving age that became my first car. a year later he decided to do a frame off rebuild of it. I would come home from school and work on what ever he had for me to do that day if I wasn't working. from sandblasting to sanding.

My girls are still too young to have much interest at 4 and 14months. the older one likes to help. hopefully they take an interest as they get a bit older.

36907_1431415658540_3733110_n.jpg

36907_1431415538537_3604741_n.jpg

1185095_10201086407415477_1913609128_n.jpg

Love working with my kids on the Mopar..note to self...take more pictures of the kids when they are in the garage.. It is the best..

the way I figure it is that they are expensive so you got to get your monies worth :)

after flipping the car..

HPIM7036aa-L.jpg
Nice Ian!Do as much with them as you can(with pics)They will never forget times working with Dad.Good luck completing your project when warm weather returns.:-D

My daughter Lily.

Hoping to get her into Jr. Dragster some day.

Attachments

• 1091008_10201763852327443_449489809_o.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 1097708_10201763852687452_703315333_o.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 539781_10202259472197630_364838524_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 138
This is how I got into old cars. As a kid my old man did body work/paint. To this day the smells of paint and filler bring me back to my childhood. He bought a wrecked 76 Warlock when I was about 3rd grade. He spent days heating and shrinking the hood and patching together the rear fender. threw some paint on it and used it as a daily driver. hit a deer 3 yrs later and redid the entire front clip again. then when I was of driving age that became my first car. a year later he decided to do a frame off rebuild of it. I would come home from school and work on what ever he had for me to do that day if I wasn't working. from sandblasting to sanding.

My girls are still too young to have much interest at 4 and 14months. the older one likes to help. hopefully they take an interest as they get a bit older.

Good story. My father was not a car guy. At all.

Perhaps plastic wrenches for birthdays ? :)

A little poster for you

Attachments

• motivator9a68d7d5af7cf72d9ed4e452d90f835a66eb7d9e.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 137
Thanks Petty....

Is it spring yet ???

I almost regret not buying a salamander heater and leaving the car in the garage but you get wicket headaches with them..

ian.

My girls never took much interest in working on the cars. My Grandson, now that's a whole different story, he loves them.

He loves this stubby ratchet so I hooked him up and he removed both of the bolts that hold the arm rest on my front seat all on his own.

View attachment C-seat.jpg

We were tearing down the 360 getting ready to build. He saw me tapping on something with a hammer and went to the tool box and got his own, he even grabbed the soft blow hammer.

View attachment ME and C.JPG

Spinning wrenches in the garage with the girls...For me this is what is all about. Warms my heart just looking at the pictures again and replaying the days/nights in my head. :D

Gotta take more of these "in-action" shots!

It's not a Mopar but it was his first set of wheels. We used to watch him in the backyard washing it or pretending to be working on it or changing tires. He has always loved cars ever since. He's the best son. When he's home and knows my back is acting up, he'll always offer to get on the creeper and go underneath if that's what needs to be done. The times I insist on doing it it myself, he's always standing there to hand me tools and then grab the old man's hand to get him up off the creeper and standing upright again.

Funny how he used to always come to me with questions and requests for help getting that stubborn bolt out or should something be done this way or that and now it's slowly coming full circle. I value his opinion and get his help on a lot of things now.

Never thought about it before but he did choose yellow for the Satellite....I wonder...have to ask the next time we talk. This photo was taken twenty-three years ago.

I'm really enjoying reading the stories here. It does the heart good to see kids and parents enjoying their time together in the garage even when they're just tikes. My son and I bonded in fluids under cars.

View attachment erik yellow car.jpg

Too cool. yes, note to self. take more pictures.

Great thread.

Gives them another reason not to do silly stuff when they are teenagers..

Grassy

Too cool. yes, note to self. take more pictures.

Gives them another reason not to do silly stuff when they are teenagers..

Grassy

Funny how after he tore up that suspension in the Satellite after I had already rebuilt the front end eight months earlier he realized the consequences of screwing around. Plus the guilt he felt when I drove up and saw that car sitting on two flat tires and right side bent rims.

He understands the work and money (yes, he paid for all the new parts from his job at the pizza joint) that goes into it. He cares a lot more for his and our cars now. It was a real growth experience for him and he spent many evenings and weekends working on that car and realized even more how much he enjoyed it. His buddies would invite him out and instead he chose to work on the car. It was about then that everyone started referring to as Erik's car. I would correct them but inside knowing I would give it to him before too long. When he's in town now he asks me what the Dart needs done to it and then gets us both out in the garage. While he and my bro-in-law work on the Satellite's body he tells me he misses "tinkering" on the mechanical parts so off we go to the garage and perform whatever is on my Dart's list. I pinch myself!

-
Back