Your opinion on this combo

-

Chrippa

Reaction score
I have just taken the enginge and trans out of the car for a major look-trough and upgrade.

Im going to change to a roller cam from hughes engines, eagle H-beam rods and possibly new pistons.
The trans will get a new 3800 stall converter from Dynamic and an overhaul with new clutches and so on.

I would like some input on my new combination so here goes:

340 block, bored 0.030. 4 bolt mains.
MP 4" cast stroker crank , Eagle H-beam rods.

Im planning to use Diamond pistons with -9.3 cc together with a cometic 0.040 headgasket. That would give about 11.3:1 comp.

Mopar Commando std port heads with porting done by Hughes engines and converted into open chamber( already done ) with ca 65cc with 2.02, 1.60 MP valves.
Flowchart : http://www.skandinavianmopar.com/Hughesflow.pdf

Matchported with the intake.
Intake is Mopars M1 single plane.
Carb will be a Mighty Demon 800 cfm.
Hedders are TTI step hedders.

Cam will be a Hughes engines solid roller cam with 254 / 260 @.50 lift ( dont remeber exact lift but around 580-590" )
Will be used with compcams 1.5 roller rockers.

The cars weight with me in it is about 3450lbs. The rear end ratio is 3:91. The car will be both street and strip, strip use as often as it gets.

How will 11:1 work on the street? Here in Sweden we run 99 octane and i usually add octane booster, i calculated that compared to the US octane number this would be 94octane with US measures. ( RON+MON / 2 )
Dont know if this is to much!?
The car rolls about 1k miles every season on the road and then sees as much strip action as it can ( about ten days a season ).

So what do you think about this setup? Is the cam to big or something else? thank you!

Chrippa

sounds pretty good to me!!!!...except i would have RYAN JOHNSON form SHADYDELL SPEED SHOP do your heads and intake!!!

http://shadydellspeedshop.com/ ryan is one of the BEST mopar smallblock engine builders/head porters around!!!!....ahd hes cheaper then hughes!!!

my .02

Sorry i should have written what i have and what is planned to be changed regarding the engine!

The heads are already ported and converted to open chamber by the previous owner ( why they were converted i dont know i think he dindnt want more compression than 9.5:1 :? )

But the pistons , rods , 4 bolt mains , camshaft and the mighty demon is planned.
Sorry for the confusion :)

looks good to me! dont think that compresion will be to much it will just make it sound real nice and make some real good power and the cam will probably bleed of enough cylinderpreasure to make it work good!

I think the cam will bleed of enuff compression to run it on the street. The combo looks good. Though I'd opt. for more gear.

I think he will be fine with 3.91s if hes not running more then a 28" tire.

AdamR said:
I think he will be fine with 3.91s if hes not running more then a 28" tire.
Hummmmmmmm, probably so. I think I'd do a max of 28 with 4.30's. LOL
seriosly-a lea a lea........I think your right and he should be fine.
Just my opinion of more gear would be good.

Remember, he's running a 4" stroke, he'll have plenty of torque and its going to eat up all that duration.

I've heard good things about the commando heads. I think you'll be bustin' a few asses with that setup.

Chrippa, sounds like a tire 'fryer' to me. I think you will like what you have. I am sure you will make some changes along the way, we all do it. What color is that. I DO like it. Info please. Good luck and as always...follow up and performance numbers please. Terry.

Not to rain on the parade but what is he going to do with the extra 40cfm above the 590 valve lift? At least go to 1.6 rockers to try and use some of it.
Sure wish I had an extra 40 cfm to play with on my combo.
I would talk to Jim at Racer Brown about your combo and especially the head flow numbers. I believe he can make you a cam that will make better use of the airflow you have. M2CsW.
It sure will be a fun car to drive either way.

First off all sorry for the late reply, got alot going on right now ;)
And a big thanks too all of you for laying your opinion, it really helps me deciding which way to go and it seems i may be aiming in the right direction. :D

braveseal said:
do yourself a favor.....DON"T use eagle rods,
buy some Crowers,they're well worth the $1000.00!!

good luck to ya!

Any reason not to go with eagle rods? Not sounding negative , just curious :)
A thousand a set is way over my budget and the eagles are half the price and still expensive in my eyes! I havent heard alot of bad things about them.

Im spending about 2½ years budget on the rebuild but i want to do it right the first time , and more power brings steadier stuff like better rods and pistons. Dont want anything breaking cus i held back at it the first time if you know what i mean :)

Chrippa, sounds like a tire 'fryer' to me. I think you will like what you have. I am sure you will make some changes along the way, we all do it. What color is that. I DO like it. Info please. Good luck and as always...follow up and performance numbers please. Terry.

Thx for the kind words :)
But im sorry to say i dont have a color code for the paint. :(
There will absolutely be a follow up, im going to try to find the time to go and dyno the engine when its out of the car when the build is done so i have what the engine hp is and not the rwhp. Both is good though but im certain i can take a little more time on a bech dyno then on the rollers.

Not to rain on the parade but what is he going to do with the extra 40cfm above the 590 valve lift? At least go to 1.6 rockers to try and use some of it.
Sure wish I had an extra 40 cfm to play with on my combo.
I would talk to Jim at Racer Brown about your combo and especially the head flow numbers. I believe he can make you a cam that will make better use of the airflow you have. M2CsW.
It sure will be a fun car to drive either way.

The budget wont alow for 1.6 rockers this time but i have it in my mind that they will be changed later on. What lift were you thinking of ? About .650 lift , or more ?
Ive been thinking about Straightline performance or Racer Brown for the roller cam, it depends a little what the price ends up at but im going to give them both a call and see what they have to say :)

-
Back