Your shop ???

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
I need a shop .... Tell me about yours.... What you do and don't like about it , what you would do if you had it to do over, etc.... I am also needing some input on what to build .. do it yourself kit , contractor ,etc.... I am looking at least a 30 x 30 or 30 x 40 Thanks...

My shop is a 32' x 40' "Barn" that I had built & none of my kids has a key for. It sits on full frost footings. It still hasn't been wired or insulated (I have the insulation for it) but when done will have 220V available (with an underground service line), outlets for a welder & 30 amp service for a camper hookup, propane service, & radiant heating in the floor. I have a parts washer, air compressor, & a small press to put in it. It has cold running water & a direct connection to the sewer system for draining the holding tanks on a camper, as well as a floor drain to the outside. It has a buried conduit for telephone & TV cable. It also has a loft with 9' clearance under it that is about 32' x 23' that I use for storage (the joists are on 12" centers on with cripple studs so it'll hold a lot of weight) & I also plan to put a small "office" up there, probably with a window air conditioner. There is also a 10' x 33' enclosed "shed along one side for storage of the kids bikes, & other things & a 4' square cupola on the roof with windows on all 4 sides & a drop down attic ladder so I can climb up & "Survey My Kingdom!" I'll probably think of other things to do differently once it's wired (like a car, it'll probably never be "done") but I can already tell you that it's TOO SMALL!

You asked about a contractor. My experience has been that, no matter what they tell you, it always costs 1 1/2 to 2 times what they said it would when they're done.

Here's a pic taken shortly before the outside was finished.

Another Barn Pic.jpg

I have been involved building a couple.:bball:
The one thing they did not do was put a shower in it.
and make room for a bedding loft sealed away from everything ells.
It sure would have been nice to have
when I was put in the dog house.:drinkers:

Build it larger than what you want to start off with. When my Dad was looking at building his shop, he was thinking 30x40. After pricing them out he decided to go with a 40x60. That was 18 months ago. Now it is almost full and trying to decide on adding on vs building a second shop late next year. Of course my internet car hunting habit is not helping much!! I figured if he spent the time and money to build the shop, the least I could do is fill it FULL of cars for him! :)

A great topic, and I look forward to the responses also. Pictures would be great to accompany the posts. I will try myself!

My son James who was 13 at the time & I participated in building a new shop in 2001. I say "participated", because we done about 1/2 of the work ourselves, but hired some of the basic work done; concrete work, framing, roofing and the gable ends vinyl siding. What we did: inside finish, wiring, help with roofing and we put the vinyl siding on up to the roof line. Our shop is a 24X24 with a 5'X10' tool room on the back, it has a 12/12 metal roof with a 10X24 finished upstairs. It took up pretty much all summer to put it up.

What I really like about my shop: We have a 10 foot ceiling on the first floor. Plenty of room to roll the car on the rotisserie, and to swing an 8' 2X4 when we do woodworking. We put in two floor dust collector ducts hooked up to a central vacuum, because of our woodworking. We can hook our saws, etc. up to the ducts and minimize sawdust in the air. We can also sweep the floor into the ducts and vacuum the dirt... We "finished" the inside walls, 1st & 2nd floor with cheap 3/8" plywood, painted white. The plywood allows me to hang anything I want, anywhere I want - we don't have to search for a stud, depending upon what it is of course. With the walls painted white they reflect the ceiling lights (2 lights on each of 3 switches = 6 total) better and makes it much easier to see what you are doing. We have one 220 electrical circut with an air compressor with several 110 circuts. We also plumbed the shop with several air lines, although I fiind that I actually only use one... Our walls are 16" o.c.; I bought any extra 5 or 6 trusses and placed the roof trusses on 16" also, even though they were designed for 24"o.c. The result was a stronger floor joist upstairs as the trusses were directly over the wall stud. We have a 9'X16' door. We ran electrical, phone and cable lines out there. We can work on a project and watch the Georgia games if they are on, or watch a DVD or VCR if we want. Now we have cable phone and cable computer also.

What I would change if doing over: Before we "moved in" I painted the floor with a super duper concrete paint to seal the floor. It didn't last very long before it was peeling up - very little is left today. I placed the 5 h.p. air compressor in the small tool room on the back. It heats up the room very fast and of course the hotter it is the more water it pumps. I have had to install a fan in the ceiling to pull some outside air in if the compressor is going to be running much. The air compressor should have been in the main shop. I should have installed the door prior to hanging the lights. I have two lights that are partially hidden by the door when the door is open, which is 99% of the time I am working in the shop.

We have been very happy with our shop and have completed several projects and learned a lot of stuff working together down there. I wish it were bigger, though!
C - I will try to post a picture later

Yeah !!! This is the stuff I was looking for ... But I would really like to see some pics... Keep um coming..:thumblef:

I had to go read the instructions on posting pictures! If this works I will try to take a couple other shots tomorrow.
C:smile:
I'm even trying to use a smiles tonight...

Firebird8-14-2007 011.jpg

I'll be damned. This was just before we moved the Duster into the shop...
C

you have the biggest part whipped,having enough room . im in the process of buying a new house because it has a lot of room and a second garage. i will also have the 2 car attached to the house the second garage and a 15x21 carport for a couple outside cars. plus theres enough room for a future 40x60 metal building.

Bump !!! I am getting close to taking on this project ..... Looking at going with one of the Metal ones like Mueller or Heritage etc.... Anyone have one of these ?????

Theres a few constants I noticed.

You never have enuff room, you allways fill it up fast, even more so with tools.

A 2 car garage is really a 1 car garage with stuff taking up the rest of the room.

Bathroom and office/hangout area should be included and not stuffed with greay things so you can't sit down. Nice shinny new things are OK and better if you can sit down.

Wall are rocks. Pictures, intakes and valve covers and even a blown ham or destroyed tranny parts are cool. And don't forget the girl posters!!!!!!!!!

I see your from Texas, so I don't know if you're planning on heating it. If you are, seriously consider radiant floor heating imbedded in the concrete. You won't regret it. Good luck with your project !!

Kenny

As mentioned before there will never be enough room. Not now or not never. I started with a 30 x 40 with 10' sidewalls. I built it when i built my house in 99. I thought ahead and put a cathedral cieling in so i would be able to fit a lift in as i got to it. You can never have enough tools and a place to put em. I started out painting my cars in it by watering down the floor and being extra careful but there was always something to deal with like bugs and stuff floating in the air so these past couple months i added on and put a 16 x 30 paint booth on one end with 10' cieling. It has a 4' wide pit running the 30 ' lenght and it is sloped so as to run water south. The exhaust fans are in the south end of the pit and are activated by a switch and the fans pull filtered, heated air from my existing shop which is heated by a hardy outside wood burning furnace that heats the water and runs it through a radiator and the fans blow across the radiator out into the shop. The walls are painted WHITE and there are some 96 flourescent tubes in it. It is bright. I'm waiting for an air dryer to hook up for the booth. I am going to add a 40 x 60 on as soon as spring rears it's head as i simply need more room. You must have at least 2 220 connections for a welder and a compressor. Plenty of plug ins scattered around the walls. Lots of light. An air hose real so that no one runs off with your only air hose. My shop sets on a slab with 2x4 frammed walls 2'o.c. with 1x4 lath on the exterior for attaching galvinized metal to. Insulated and sheetrocked inside. Two O H doors in the 30x40 and one in the new paint booth. One 3' exterior man door for coming and going. On the west end i built a 12x12 engine/paint room for just that. Oh i almost forgot. I also built another 3 car garage on the back of my house to house completed or ongoing projects. I'll do some pics of my mess and get Vic to post em here. ope this gives you an idea or two. Compressor sets out back and it has A/C via a large window unit.

You'll never have enough room. I have 4 garages and am short on room. The first is 20x20 where I keep all my yard equipment, motorcycles, ATV, etc. Next is the one at the house (20x24) where I keep 2 cars (right now the Feather Duster and Charger). The biggest is 30x48 with 14' height - this is the main shop with the lift and all the tools. All of which takes up a LOT of room - I can only store 1 car in there plus the Duster project. Finally there's a 30x36 which holds 3 cars, lots of parts, and a few more toys. Both of the big buildings are built by Morton and I'm very happy with them.

P1200003.JPG

P1220022.JPG

P1220004.JPG

P1220006.JPG

P1220007.JPG

P1220011.JPG

P1220012.JPG

-
Back