Z bar help on TTI headers

-

RyanSipat

MoPar Nub
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 69 340 4 speed swinger, I just installed TTI headers and found the stock z bar unable to fit. Did some research and came upon rewelding the arms or buying the modified Z bar. With my low lack of welding skills, and lack of equipment, I just decided to buy the TTI modified z bar. Well, the Z bar came in the mail today, installed it, and it is still hitting the header. Can't bolt down the header with the Z bar arm and clutch rod in the way. I'm sure my clutch rod is probably installed wrong (maybe the solution to my problem?), and am wondering if you guys can correct my mistakes for me.

Thanks in advance
Ryan

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hello, I have a 69 340 4 speed swinger, I just installed TTI headers and found the stock z bar unable to fit. Did some research and came upon rewelding the arms or buying the modified Z bar. With my low lack of welding skills, and lack of equipment, I just decided to buy the TTI modified z bar. Well, the Z bar came in the mail today, installed it, and it is still hitting the header. Can't bolt down the header with the Z bar arm and clutch rod in the way. I'm sure my clutch rod is probably installed wrong (maybe the solution to my problem?), and am wondering if you guys can correct my mistakes for me.

Thanks in advance
Ryan

View attachment 1715087624

View attachment 1715087625

View attachment 1715087626
I don't have anything to add as far as the tti headers, but as far as the pushrod linkage, there is supposed to be a special shaped plastic(hard rubber) "bushing"/ washer that fits the funnel shaped hole in the throw out arm(lever), then that is backed up with the extra thick steel washer with the keyed hole which slides over the similarly keyed threaded area of the pushrod. It appears your thick steel washer fits very sloppily on pushrod, as if the hole is worn out.

me too in a 68 Barracuda.

But your fork appears to be either twisted or not properly installed.
Also take a look at the bottom bolt that secures the inner Z-bar anchor; it kindof appears to not be screwed all the way in, or could it be too long?
And make sure the Z-bar is not shifting sideways.

You might want to give some thought to how you're gonna adjust the freeplay once the header is in there. I removed one of those jam nuts, put a spacer on the rod, and then put the nut on the aft end of the rod. Now I can stick a socket on the aft nut, unlock it, then reach in to the forward nut and just give it a turn or two, then lock the aft nut again. I lost the aft nut once and the adjustment went away. So I drilled a hole in the rod, out towards the back, and put a hairpin in it.Problem solved. This only works if the proper swivel washer is installed. IIRC I used a spare spacer that was once used to space the alternator off the head.

Last edited:
I bought a modified Zbar from brewers and both sides hit the headers (DOUGS). I suspect I will have to take it back out and do some bending on it.

You say it's hitting the header. Where? Pix would be great.
I had to bend the lower z-bar arm just a tad to clear it from hitting the header tube. Other than that, all fit perfectly. (69 Dart, TTI's, 73 360 and k-frame, manual steering)

-
Back