#1 ready to fire after cam degree

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I degreed the new cam in the 340 and verified installed centerline of 106, which matches the lunatic cam card.

So now I have #1 at TDC. The crank dot is at 12 o clock and the cam is at 6 o'clock. Do I need to roll the engine around one full revolution so #1 is ready to fire? (Cam and crank at 12 o'clock) I have the heads and intake off, currently.

IMG_20220404_171527609.jpg

IMG_20220404_171534819.jpg

Either that or leave it alone and set it up for no6 to fire.

Pretty much standard procedure would be both at noon, rotor pointing at #1 plug terminal

yes. You are at #6 TDC.
This ^^^^^^^^^

When you degree a camshaft, your timing the valve events to be at a certain spec. This is a procedure that leaves the engine @ TDC on number one cylinder exactly 180* out for firing it up.

Ether rotate the engine as said or pick up the distributor and rotate it 180*’s to number 6 cylinder, where it is ready to fire up.

Rotated engine and stabbed distributor. Finished up the front cover and water pump last night. Still have heads, harmonic balancer, intake and accessories to install. Then the motor and trans back in the car. It's getting there.

Be sure to "clock" the intermediate shaft to the correct position also.

Can you explain?
The stock configuration is having the rotor pointing at the number one piston basically in the number one piston firing order as you have it.. if you want it to be like that again you have to drop the intermediate shaft in so everything lines up that way... What I do is basically hold you distributor there hovering above and point the rotor at the number one cylinder and note which way the little slit at the bottom of the distributor is that's going to go into the intermediate shaft and try and drop the intermediate shaft in so that slit will line up whichever way it goes. Remembering that as it goes in it's going to clock a little bit counterclockwise I believe as it meshes in with the cam gear and the oil pump. Sometimes I've had to reach down in with my oil pump rod and clocked oil pump just a little bit so it falls in the way I want it to...
It's kind of hard to explain I'd rather just call someone and tell them... or better yet show them...

Gotcha. That makes sense.

So I'm going to have to rotate the engine to set the lash (273 adj rockers) via the cam instructions. Am I correct in thinking as long as I leave the dist in, after all the valves are adjusted, I can rotate the engine back to TDC (using the balancer mark) and as long as the dist is pointing to #1 (same position it's in now) I'm back to #1 ready to fire?

Gotcha. That makes sense.

So I'm going to have to rotate the engine to set the lash (273 adj rockers) via the cam instructions. Am I correct in thinking as long as I leave the dist in, after all the valves are adjusted, I can rotate the engine back to TDC (using the balancer mark) and as long as the dist is pointing to #1 (same position it's in now) I'm back to #1 ready to fire?
make sure the carb is filled with gas... pump it a few times

When I get it static timed so #1 is where it needs to be, I like to give the distributor a little tug to give it some advance. 10° BTDC is a good place to start.

As long as both valves are closed on number 1 cylinder, then yes your ready to fire it up.

-
Back