1968 plymouth valiant 2dr sedan

-
So, I parked it in the garage and started to dissassemble the front end. That was just basic wrenching.
I took out the torsion bars, 892-893 340 bars on a 170 slant six car, with my hand made removal tool.
The plan now is to add stiffening plates to the lower control arms, press in new bushings and install new strut rod bushings.
I started dissassembly at 21:15, and by midnight I had both sides completely dissassembled.

Antoon

Attachments

• jane 146.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 864
  • jane 148.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 857
  • jane 149.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 860
  • jane 155.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 836
  • jane 156.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 806
  • jane 160.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 833
Here are the LCA's with my hand made sway bar tabs. They're going to cleaned up and have stiffening plates added. I allready cut a paper template so I can cut one in metal and weld it on the LCA's.
But that's probably for next week.
Antoon

Attachments

• jane 166.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 857
  • jane 165.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 834
  • jane 164.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 840
Thanks guys. Just trying to do my best with the means provided.
Anyway, again, some spare time was on my hand, so I decided to make the plates to box the LCA's and weld them on.
I just took a metal strip, 5mm thick, shaped it like my paper template, and welded it to the LCA's.
And a little paint is always nice offcourse.
Next week I'm going to install them and try to finish the rest of the front disc brake installation.

Antoon

Attachments

• jane 167.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 763
  • jane 168.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 798
  • jane 169.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 816
One of my favorite upgrades I did on my 68 valiant with a 225 /6 was the HEI ignition. Simple to do, more reliable, and only cost me about $25. No more ballast resistor and I can use it on my 360 in the future.

Today some small progress was made. I say small because Murphy got in the way of doing some serious wrenching.
Before I started it all, I gathered the parts, and was told I should mount the calipers in front of the rotors, so the hose routing wouldn't give any problems.
So I bought the correct hoses and all the other stuff.

Sadly, after mounting the left side first....... completely, I became aware that the calipers wanted the occupy the same space as the sway bar, which meant I had to swap spindels left to right. Aaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhh.

So I now need other brake hoses.
Which ones do I need with F,M,J body spindels and the calipers on the rear of the rotors?

Also some pics,
Installed the lower control arms.
Put new bushings and ball joints in the a-arms.
New ball joint on the nicely painted spindels.
Rebuild the calipers

Attachments

• jane 180.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 672
  • jane 178.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 677
  • jane 176.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 697
  • jane 174.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 717
  • jane 172.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 716
These are the wrong hoses.
Does anyone have a part number of the hoses that should be correct?

Attachments

• jane 181.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 691
Left side spindel installed the first time, and the second time.

Attachments

• jane 184.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 685
  • jane 183.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 670
  • jane 182.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 680
Real nice Antoon. Does it matter where the caliper is mounted? Front or back? I can remember a small discussion we had once about the same issue with my Roadrunner. Remember?

@Basoline,
I remeber all too well, and I wanted to mount them in front of the rotor, but the sway bar was occupying the same space. Apparantly the hoses go a little smoother when installed in front of the rotors.
Now for the correct hoses??

Antoon

Yesterday I finished up the disc brake installation. I had some issues with selecting the right hoses but in the end the result is perfect.
So the spindels were swapped left to right, but get the hoses to be mounted safely I had to swap the calipers right to left again, so th ehose connection is on top. One downfall to that, is that the bleeder is now on the bottom making it difficult to bleed it.
But, by taking of the caliper and hanging it so the bleeder is on top solves that issue.

Attachments

• jane 185.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 598
  • jane 186.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 612
I also installed the new MC with the 1 1/32" bore, and bench bled it on the car.

Bench bleeding the MC

Attachments

• jane 193.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 608
Offcourse I also had to install the correct prop valve which came from the donor car.
Some brake lines needed another nippel, so I made some new collars, and installed some new hard lines.

Now all that's left is bleed the entire system, mount the front wheels and put it on the ground to fasten up all the suspension bolts, and have it aligned.

Antoon

Attachments

• jane 191.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 628
  • jane 190.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 613
  • jane 189.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 589
Thanks guys!

Today I finished up the last big jobs to get here back on the road. I had to Bleed the complete system, placing the calipers on the steering arm so the bleeder was pointing upwards.
After that, I installed them, put on the wheels, set the ride height and tightend all the suspension bolts.
This is how it looks now. It might get a little lower in the front, but not much. Just have to see how it turns out when I can park it in a good spot.

All that's left now, is take her for a spin to see if it all works as planned, install another speedo pinion and mount the brake light switch.

Antoon

Attachments

• jane 194.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 543
  • jane 195.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 592
  • jane 196.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 571
Yes!!!!

Finished!!!

I took her out for a spin today. The brakes felt a little spongy, but the emergency brake light was out, and I could lock them up easily. Could that be because of the large amount of oil that has to go into the calipers?

Anyway, here are some nice pics to enjoy. The rear tires will be switched to black side wall for a more stealth look.

But overall I'm very satisfied with the look it now has. Super stock look!!!!

Antoon

Attachments

• jane 198 (2).jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 562
  • jane 201 (2).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 550
  • jane 208 (2).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 566
-
Back