1972 Demon Build

-
Ok. First go at paint. A few spots to touch up. A little more sanding. A light spot in the trunk. Overall, very happy so far. This will sit for a bit now as I collect a few more parts. Looks like the stroker motor will never sell so it's going in. Truck isn't even getting an offer so it will sit until I get back then I will tear it down just like all the others.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It is GM Snow White, I would have to go back and look at the can for the number. I think it will turn out nice. I don't build show cars, I take them and they don't win trophies...lol

Finishing the bezels today or tomorrow. Taping this all off was a *****. The red is about as close a match as I could get on my budget and my timeline. I would like to get the chrome surrounds and hood trim, but against the white car I think it should be devilish!

image.jpeg

Ok. First step was to sand and clean the **** out this junk box. Looks like it was at the bottom of a river! Peeled it apart. Had to get some help from the wife to break the light switch retaining nut free. Inside was just as janky as the outside. Rust starting on the speedo plate. No time to mess with all that. Ordered one in much better shape all working from Whitepunkonnitro. 3 1/2 hours later....

Last edited:
This.....I am sure there is someone smarter than me, but getting a piece of tape down in there, taking it out and using thin cardboard (cereal box) and cutting them all out does wonders on the gauge bezels. This will get a DMT bezel in carbon fiber like the 72 Swinger did, but this dash is all white. Will highlight the lights and wipers text in red.

image.jpg

Last edited:
This..was going to do the bezel rings in red, but not enough time. This will have to do for now. Later simple red pinstripes inside on the dash and doors.

image.jpg

Still a few places to touch up on the grill but overall I am very happy. The number of hours to do three colors on this was insane.

image.jpg

That all looks nice! The grill was a pain I'm sure, but it will pay off well after you get the car all back together. I dug thru my stash to see if I could find a vent door latch for you. Nuthin, nada, zip! The only heater box I have is one out of a later A body, and they must have changed them in 73-74? It's an AC box, and doesn't even have a vent on the passenger side.

I got the hardware on here. Rusty and crusty, but nothing a sandblaster can't fix. I ain't gonna lie, I am glad the grill isn't more detailed. Lol front bumper is chrome and I have the chin spoiler for under the valance. I am still looking for the hood chrome and bezel chrome. This car was not equipped, but with white it would look better. There would be white, chrome, grill, chrome, while, black on chin spoiler. All black parts are satin.

Ok. Was in such a rush to get out the door I wasn't specific enough with my buddy about the motor. That is, screw it, don't sell it, stick it in the car after it rolls of paint. So I guess a 400 stroker will power this after all!

408 gone and through the power of the internet I found this little 400 lurking in a crate near my house....512? 500? 470? That is the question...finally one to tear apart that I don't need to spray with break free for week before taking down! Who's going to chime in with head to toe build...?

image.jpg

Opened a separate thread for 400 stroker advice. Looks like the ticket will be a 470. For now I think I will just get this stock 10k mile 400 running while I save up for that. The Car made it of paint booth and into mechanical and interior area. My interior guy bailed on the job so I had to get my wife to go and pick everything up. Stuff was supposed to be done by now, instead I am looking for a new upholstery shop from half the world away. Posting a video...motor for sale, but I really just wanted to show the car in the background.

As it turned out the motor I bought was a 383. So much for doing business with someone over the phone. Going in the car anyway to get it moving. I will go after the 470 stroker on down the line.

Last edited:
Just aggravating is all. I really don't care what motor gets it moving at this point. I can swap it out later.

Just a bit further. Out of the paint booth. Found another interior shop. New carpet, headliner, package tray, sail panels, seat divider, trunk floor cover, front and rear sill plates, door pulls, handles, and window winders. New seals for entire car.....getting there.

image.jpg

Not sure how this column ended up black? But it is in the car and I am trying to find an interior shop to do the work on dash pad still. No one wants work? What the hell is that about? And yes the wheel is to be matched or replaced with a wood grain tuff wheel.

image.jpg

Nothing more to do with dash until I can get cap done. Wife found a place that will do the work, but has to haul the interior there Monday. Pain in the ***.

image.jpg

-
Back