371 build W/Big Mouth heads

-
That's funny! I'm laughing with you not at you. Had a guy send me Hughes Pro-Comp Victor CNC STD port heads awhile back. I flowed them and they were a little better than what they flow OOTB. I sized the port properly, re-valve jobbed it and got them up to 346-347 cfm. 397 --LOL. J.Rob
^^^ Saw that same thing some years ago almost to the number LOL

Last edited:
Angle mill and shift on the dowels will make any notch needed minimal. J.Rob
I'm in the process of doing a dowel shift on a set of 452's, My guinea pig head looked good w/a 1/16" shift, only a little clearance work needed here & there. If You don't mind
sharing, what's the max You've shifted or recommend?

I would like to see rod bloomer heads that Brett miller designed on a good short block those heads look very impressive

Here's the cam that will be used. J.Rob

IMG_20170307_090036.JPG

.018 valve lash, why is it tighter then usual? custom grind?

My cam lashes at .014-016 hot. Loose lash is not a good thing.

RAMM I like that cam. On a 104 LSA to boot. Is that a grind you like, or is it something Comp called it. If Comp called it out, maybe the worm has turned a bit.

My cam lashes at .014-016 hot. Loose lash is not a good thing.

RAMM I like that cam. On a 104 LSA to boot. Is that a grind you like, or is it something Comp called it. If Comp called it out, maybe the worm has turned a bit.

I spec'd it out with the intention of using it @ EMC 2015 but never made it. It is nitrided for extra insurance and is not for the faint of heart. This cam will not be to blame if the power isn't there. J.Rob

[sarcasm]It will never run in a mopar on that 104lsa![/sarcasm]

:)

Will be cool to see this one run. Your power brakes will be an issue... LOL

I spec'd it out with the intention of using it @ EMC 2015 but never made it. It is nitrided for extra insurance and is not for the faint of heart. This cam will not be to blame if the power isn't there. J.Rob

Very very close to what I'm using in my street car.

Damn, I'm excited to see this deal on the pump. The cam makes me giggle.

FWIW at one point I was going to use one of those two SFT grinds I have for sale. I decided that shifting this engine at 7000-7100 was plenty.

The W-2 engine is going to get mushroom lifters, hopefully net .725 lift and turn 7800. That's a couple of years away.

It'll be a snotty sounding cam. For sure.

RAMM, So sorry, what ratio rocker again?
1.6 I hope.

OK, cool. That valve needs to be lifted for sure!

Nice cam, but as they say...fast don't last.lol

It's nitrided. That helps. Faster lobes need higher spring rates. They die just as quick from spring pressures too low. I've run 180 on the seat with a SFT. It lasted over 150 runs and that's a lot of spring pressure for SFT's

It's nitrided. That helps. Faster lobes need higher spring rates. They die just as quick from spring pressures too low. I've run 180 on the seat with a SFT. It lasted over 150 runs and that's a lot of spring pressure for SFT's
Yeah I caught that after posting, and good idea on that ramp.180? What lift? thats stiff for street sft, but not for race. Most of the faster sft grinds I've used in motors over the years all set at 150-160 seat, highest being 170....but that didn't work out long....but not dabbling in nitrate or shubeck, composite etc...so for me "fast don't last" comes from a few or so trips for a regrind when a lobe or two starts showing through, usually much longer than 150 passes....so....just give it some time.

Nice cam, but as they say...fast don't last.lol

This was considered heavily, but remember I was going for a win in the SPEC smallblock class up against Jon Kaases' 414 Cleveland--It only had to last for about 30-35 dyno pulls total. This will last much longer than that--probably years in a street/strip deal.
Look up his cam specs in his class winning engine, (you'll be amazed, you'd think we spoke about this)I believe had we made it our 414 wearing these heads would have been a top 3 piece-maybe even a 2nd placer.

Getting back to the aggressive profile, I ordered the cam with nitriding, and will also be using EDM lifters, carefully selected Isky dual springs with inners removed for breakin and the valve train also uses hollow stem valves and some super light tool steel retainers. The breakin process is also something I am extremely vigilant with. I use the BreakIn cycle feature on the dyno which totally kicks ***, along with a pan full of Lucas 30 wt or Ammsoil 30 wt Break in oil. I am very good at setting timing (very advanced is always way better than retarded) with my trusty LeanBurn distributor and I also use a carb that I know and trust. A lot of guys under-estimate just how much fuel or pumps of fuel it takes to start a new , never fired engine as well--its a lot more than you think. This one will fire in 1-2 revolutions like all the rest. Now with all that being said sometimes **** happens-I hope this isn't one of those times. J.Rob

Seat pressure doesn't mean much-its spring rate and open pressure that should be considered first. What if you had a spring that had 200 seat and 300 open? Would it kill a lobe? J.Rob

Seat pressure doesn't mean much-its spring rate and open pressure that should be considered first. What if you had a spring that had 200 seat and 300 open? Would it kill a lobe? J.Rob
A point I left out, not always looking for debate, but that's right....aside from break in, open psi would be the thing to watch and a lobe killer.
I won't break in a sft with all the spring it calls for...I go light at first....and like you say, get it fired within a few revolutions.
I used a beer can full of fuel for many years to splash prime a motor to life. I use the same distributor & ignition components to be sure I don't have any gremlins. I've had 380psi open kill one...I remember those paw springs...I think I still have them at the back of the shelf...I've been there before...experimentation costs you sometimes...doh....funny thing with that cam , its almost the same cam I'm running. Custom Herbert grind, no one liked it at the time...but at the time there were very few commenting on it who knew a fkn thing about anything, they thought "Eww..where's the 110 lobe?"..lol

Last edited:

I think in there somewhere I mentioned spring rate. Hell, if I could get 340-360 on the seat and over the nose I'd sure as hell do it. Seat pressure means very little when you have lash.

But with the springs I had at the time, I had to up the seat pressure to get the nose where I wanted it.

Has it been on the dyno yet? MRL just posted a 416 inch motor, same heads, pump gas, .620 solid roller, performer RPM intake... made i think he said 584 HP with a fuel supply problem, figured close to 600 was possible with fuel issue straightened out. 14 inches of idle vacuum too.

Has it been on the dyno yet? MRL just posted a 416 inch motor, same heads, pump gas, .620 solid roller, performer RPM intake... made i think he said 584 HP with a fuel supply problem, figured close to 600 was possible with fuel issue straightened out. 14 inches of idle vacuum too.

Sorry to disappoint,
Block machining starts next week, ain't using a roller no way no how, dual plane will not suit this build, this cam might make 14" vacuum cruising @ 3800 rpm going down a mountain with the throttle closed, and most certainly will not approach almost 600HP. Hang on tight it's gonna get interesting. J.Rob

Had some very cool lifters from Topline Automotive come in. .012" EDM, USA steel, and weigh 100g's. You can see who makes them on the boxes.
Also including a shot of the intake. I have everything ready to go BUT the block. J.Rob

IMG_20170316_074954.JPG

IMG_20170316_074548.JPG

Good, you didn't screw up the plenum. I think a well ported Air Gap dual plane would almost work though, you wouldn't be very far out of it's rpm range.

-
Back