371 build W/Big Mouth heads

-
Hell yes I know Gilbertson machine! They did the driveline in my car. And I used to ride dirt bikes with Dan Gilberstson.

So yup, we did run up and down some of the same pavenmment. I also know people who work and who have worked at Freightliner. I used to work at WSI on Swan Island. Damn.

RAMM, PLEASE excuse the minor detour into old times...

But damn, I am sicker than a dog pooping peach seeds (quote taken from YR) from all the memories. As some people know Lonnie was a BIG guy very much into custom cars. Well, he wanted to build his first custom bike, and through a string of coincidence, Dick Pruitt hooked me up with Lonnie, and I helped himout with styling cues for his bike (styling being my profession, but let's keep a low profile).
The bike's name was 'Color me gone' and was shown at the Nevada Roadster Show in '95 ? and featured in a couple magazines. And young Mr. Stick was mentioned in one of the articles... still have a copy of that. Damn.

Edit: And he did my driveline as well. Only that I didn't have a Mopar, but a 68 El Camino SS396. Couldn't find a decent Mopar back then, being new in the country and not knowing anybody, so I went for the Elky I found at 'Dollar's Corner Auto Wrecking' (what a name) just over the river in WA. Sorry guys. Elky long sold.

Not to discredit hughes good work but ive seen their 300 cfm stg 3 Eddies only go 280 on someone elses bench, and their 700+hp G3 hemi is unbelievable literally

Last edited:
L4staero............good info.......i am in the market next month on purchasing my top end ... considering Hughes stage 3 cylinder heads ... wondering if they actually flow what they say... but 20 cfm could be inaccuracy of porting machines being used ??? methods of porting ???
Has anybody flowed the big mouths after purchase ?

L4staero............good info.......i am in the market next month on purchasing my top end ... considering Hughes stage 3 cylinder heads ... wondering if they actually flow what they say... but 20 cfm could be inaccuracy of porting machines being used ??? methods of porting ???
Has anybody flowed the big mouths after purchase ?

read post no 1 and 46 .

thanks JIm...............not impressed or should i say as advertised ?

Ram could you post a few flow #'s for these heads as they arrived as I understand the posted #'s had a lot of help from yourself .

Ram could you post a few flow #'s for these heads as they arrived as I understand the posted #'s had a lot of help from yourself .

I think I was so discouraged I may have thrown them out. Seriously though they were 8-10 cfm less at most points. There just isn't much you can do when the S.S. is murdered and bowl is wrong shape. J.Rob

I think I was so discouraged I may have thrown them out. Seriously though they were 8-10 cfm less at most points. There just isn't much you can do when the S.S. is murdered and bowl is wrong shape. J.Rob

Unless, like you pointed out before, you weld them.

We both know what a pain in the *** that is.

Problem is every flow bench is different.

I know from heads that have been tested, hughes numbers are always higher than the benches I've seen them on. Usually in the 15-20 peak range for discrepancies.

Much like enigne and HP, CFM drags people in and sells product.

You seriously a fly on my wall? I'm currently in process of building a B-block 4.185" x 3.75" 413 cube, solid flat, 10.75 comp, TrickFlow 240PP heads etc.... It's gonna be a revver. J.Rob
Are you notching the decks on that 413 for valve clearance? :lol:

Found my flow notes from last year. J.Rob

View attachment 1715022871

I'm not going to say those numbers are weak, but...
Iron J's ported w/2.02 nail head 11/32
.100 78
.200 146
.300 215
.400 254
.500 278
.550 284
I would expect heads like these to blow a ported factory casting out of the water, I mean 30 cfm better out of the water.
I'm always reminded buying a flow bench was one of the best tools I've ever invested in with regards to building power and finding truth in advertisments.

I'm not going to say those numbers are weak, but...
Iron J's ported w/2.02 nail head 11/32
.100 78
.200 146
.300 215
.400 254
.500 278
.550 284
I would expect heads like these to blow a ported factory casting out of the water, I mean 30 cfm better out of the water.
I'm always reminded buying a flow bench was one of the best tools I've ever invested in with regards to building power and finding truth in advertisments.

Couldn't agree more! As an aside that is the best looking flow curve I've ever seen for a OEM casting--.400" is killer. J.Rob

Flow them on your bench. See what you get.

I believe Hughes use a Saenz bench which seem to have a reputation for better #s than other brands. I've used a Super Flo 1020 and had a lot of work done on a SF 600 and can tell you that those two benches don't jive with one another. Then there are all the do it yourself home build benches out there ???
The bottom line is that a flow bench is an A-B test tool. As much as we want compare #s from one to another these devices are more like home made yard sticks not micrometers.

Exactly, hence my post above yours.

Couldn't agree more! As an aside that is the best looking flow curve I've ever seen for a OEM casting--.400" is killer. J.Rob
Thank you.
Those numbers came from a well known magazine builders sf bench....Which shows how **** changes..wether it be procedure or the equipment.
My bench is stingy and I like it that way.
on my bench those same heads flowed like this..
.100. 73
.200 137
.300 204
.400 246
.500 274
.550 281
Btw I got these heads flowing these numbers by putting seats in the intakes and keeping the short turn steeper than most would invision for those numbers....in turn it took roof work to make to even it out, 186 cc intake runners. If you looked at the ports...you have a hard time not wanting to lay the turn back more...lol there is more left in them, but i like where they are for what I'm doing.
The point I'm making here is that the deviation/difference in numbers, to me, indicates it is more than just a difference in flow benches...I think Hughes is full of **** with some of their numbers.

Last edited:
Problem is every flow bench is different.

I know from heads that have been tested, hughes numbers are always higher than the benches I've seen them on. Usually in the 15-20 peak range for discrepancies.

Much like enigne and HP, CFM drags people in and sells product.
I am going thru this now with my big block max wedge victors, I sent Hughes the heads for their monster max wedge cnc porting and their numbers are well exaggerated to actual results. they claim 397 cfm at 700 and my heads after the cnc are showing 346...

Exaggerated flow numbers, and Exaggerated dyno numbers sell engines....someone else already mentioned that I think, I agree with the statement that they are tools for comparison.... like for a before and after type thing..

I believe Hughes use a Saenz bench which seem to have a reputation for better #s than other brands. I've used a Super Flo 1020 and had a lot of work done on a SF 600 and can tell you that those two benches don't jive with one another. Then there are all the do it yourself home build benches out there ???
The bottom line is that a flow bench is an A-B test tool. As much as we want compare #s from one to another these devices are more like home made yard sticks not micrometers.

I am well aware of how flow benches are so "different" from one another. When I ordered them I told myself that even if they flow an honest 300 cfm @ peak with a strong curve I'd be happy. This is an awfully long way off and I do NOT just chalk it up to a difference from Bench A to Bench B. But like I said power still may be good. J.Rob

I am going thru this now with my big block max wedge victors, I sent Hughes the heads for their monster max wedge cnc porting and their numbers are well exaggerated to actual results. they claim 397 cfm at 700 and my heads after the cnc are showing 346...

That's funny! I'm laughing with you not at you. Had a guy send me Hughes Pro-Comp Victor CNC STD port heads awhile back. I flowed them and they were a little better than what they flow OOTB. I sized the port properly, re-valve jobbed it and got them up to 346-347 cfm. 397 --LOL. J.Rob

That's funny! I'm laughing with you not at you. Had a guy send me Hughes Pro-Comp Victor CNC STD port heads awhile back. I flowed them and they were a little better than what they flow OOTB. I sized the port properly, re-valve jobbed it and got them up to 346-347 cfm. 397 --LOL. J.Rob
Gotta laugh, better than crying. lol My engine guy flowed a DART CNC 400 CFM head for comparison and on his bench he got 398 CFM.. So something is way off at Hughes. When I confronted them their attitude changed rather quickly.. just sayin

-
Back