72 Swinger Project

-
Well it didn't actually bolt into place like it was supposed to do, but it is all in there. Needs a few final adjustments then fully secured. All new under there. 1 7/8 headers to 3 inch all through Flowmaster mufflers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 675
Man, I can't even begin to think about what you have spent on the two Mopars....
They both look awesome!

Too much. Had a guy offer me 10k for the 74 at an AACA car show this weekend. I was late to the show and strolled past everyone and parked on the end. Before long everyone was coming by to see it. One of 3 Mopars there. Had a picnic in the grass with the wife and kids and just enjoyed the day! I'm gonna drive it the wheels fall off....unless I get an offer I just can't refuse. The 72 went 50 ways in my head and I settled on stock appearing street car. Like it came from the factory in 72 with a BB. There is a 69 in either Mopar or Mopar action where the guy did the same. Not sure if I will ever get done....

Ok....up to wiring this sucker. Found below on Jegs....pros and cons please! Anything else put there I should know? Keep in mind I have electric water pump and fan.

Painless Performance Products#764-10127
Mopar Muscle Car Chassis Harness
1966-76 Mopar
21-Circuit Harness

Ok. Called painless and tried to describe my ride to tech support. Treated me like a wet food stamp and had a tone like I was bothering him. I am sorry I thought customer service was important. PM to Ron Francis on here with immediate response. Guess who's wires are going in my car?!

Brushed aluminum radiator overflow on the way. Some other knick knacks and stuff. About to venture past the point of no return on wiring and interior.....

Or not.. Need some advice. Don't want to open a separate thread. This car was a slant 6. That harness from bulkhead is long gone. I clearly need a V8. For the quick and to get it running can I get a 72 V8 and plug it in to the bulkhead? I can rewire the entire car when I pull the interior and do the dash and aftermarket gauges etc. I will use Ron Francis for that job. Thoughts and where the hell do I go from here?

Yes. You could have used the /6 one, but if you don't have it anymore, just get a V8 one and plug it in.

Yes.

Everyone starts from the same place. a 225, 318, 440, your 452 all make spark the same way if you're using factory Mopar style electronic ignition. If you do something different, you have to just modify it to work from that starting point just like everyone else. You will want the WITH electronic ignition version.

I'm not sure what you mean. I thought you no longer had the /6 engine wiring harness? So that's already dismantled, right? All you're talking about is a replacement engine wiring harness and what to get. The other stuff is separate. Or do you mean you're going to get this wiring harness for now, then re-do everything later? I guess it doesn't matter, just so you know what you need and what will work whenever you do it.

The firewall back is still in the car. The slant 6 engine harness was gone. I needed a V8 to get it going. When I get to restoration of the interior I will have to address some upgrades. For now I want it to drive. I could care less about heat, AC, booming system etc.

Thanks for helping out. Easy is getting a part and replacing one. Hard is making it look like Ma Mopar made one this way....good thing is after this one I might have a clue.

I would use the V8 engine harness until you go with new wiring. Do you have to reuse the bulkhead side of the engine harness or does that come with the wiring harness?
I did mine with a Painless (more like PAINFUL) kit #764-10127 and it works great.
A lot of work (40+ hours) but well worth it for peace of mind from the old, brittle and cracked wiring harness that came out of mine.

Talked with two Mopar nuts on the phone. Both said the 340 V8 will work. Only issue will be extending the wire to the distributor since the one I am buying is for SB. No such thing as a plug in to the existing harness BB for a 72. I want to drive the car by spring and I don't have the time or the money to rewire the whole car right now. It can wait....unless like everything else...it doesn't work, then replacement will be sooner.

Ok. Fuel system all new from tank to carb....everything, including a bigger diameter line. TTI exhaust from headers to tailpipe through 3 inch X-pipe. Fit was not exactly as described but it is in place with Flowmaster 40s. Rear suspension is set and adjusted to initial settings with CalTracs. Front suspension giving my friend Ron a fit. Seems like nothing Denny didn't explain in 5 minutes. Engine wiring harness finally shipped from Year One. Sooooo close.

You bet Denny. Thanks for the assist. I got a text that says we will be square in a simple way. If I stick one of these under my Demon....you gonna come down to help me?! Lol

-
Back