Add 273's, 340's & 360's to the "318 Race" ?

yes, i would enter AND post a pass with...

• Total voters
-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last year, there was a lot of interest in the "318 race", but few actual racers.
2017 318 RACE !! .... please join the fun
Problem is, a lot of folks wanted to join, but didn't have a 318 to enter. I was asked if they could enter with their "360, 340, etc etc"......
We had at one point, I believe, 16 people that had entered with 318's, but only 4 of us made a pass and posted.

Just curious on thoughts or interest for this upcoming year ?? I kept it "318's only" last year because it was easier to draw up the penalty box.

If there is interest, I will do the race again this year, and I'd open it up to the other small block mopars, but I'm not doing strokers or drag cars. Stock stroke and street cars in street form only.

Thoughts????? Interest???? Forget it???? let me know....

Last edited:
Not sure where I would have to travel to but I would be interested in running my 273 build a time or two---------------
I don't know where your nearest 1/4 mile drag way is, but it should be easy enough to find out.

I don't know where your nearest 1/4 mile drag way is, but it should be easy enough to find out.
I thought you wanted heads-up racing. I'm guessing you just want us to post time slips---------------------?
There are lots of strips around me----------------

I thought you wanted heads-up racing. I'm guessing you just want us to post time slips---------------------?
There are lots of strips around me----------------
Yes, last year we used the "honor system", because it's just for fun.
You use the penalty chart to "add or subtract" from the starting E.T. point. Weight, gears, and what's been done to the motor and tranny to get your dial index. This allowed 4x4's, vans, pickups and cars to compete. We posted pictures of car, E.T. slip, and build.

My dial index last year was 14.60 in the 318 race, but I ran a 14.9. I was .3 negative, good enough for 2nd place out of 4 racers... LOL

I'm in...sounds like it should stay 318's, and maybe 273's...
yeah, that's why I'm seeing if it's worth doing. Took a bit to try and build a penalty box. I think 340's/360's would add a lot more actual people that would make a pass and post. They would just be hit with a penalty for using a 340/360 block.
We'll see where it goes...

Maybe do a pro-rated per cu-in system.
yeah, kind of what the penalty box does. We set a base E.T. using a pure stock 318, auto, 2.76 geared, weight of a Duster and each persons car either would either add to the E.T. or subtract, and the chart did it by item.
If you car was heavier than the base, you added a tenth per hundred. If it was lighter, you subtracted a tenth per hundred. You deducted from the base E.T. per performance upgrade (4bbl, heads, cams, overbore, gears, converters, etc etc). So a 360 block would have a certain deduction from the E.T., so really no advantage to having a bigger motor. Actually, the further away we got from the base, the harder it was to run the index.
Our winner, though, ran a 12.2 on a 12.2 index :D

yeah, that's why I'm seeing if it's worth doing. Took a bit to try and build a penalty box. I think 340's/360's would add a lot more actual people that would make a pass and post. They would just be hit with a penalty for using a 340/360 block.
We'll see where it goes...

Although it would be cool to build a database with car specs, engine specs, and ET's for all motors...definitely get more involvement from everyone.

Here is the penalty box used in the 318 race. scroll up to line 2 to see the Base car
Penalty box 318 -2.xlsx - Microsoft Excel Online
Nice work on the spreadsheet! It would give me a headache trying to put my car into that handicap deal though.
I do think I will take mine to a local track this summer and run it a few times just to see what a 273/999/3.73:1SG 4V GVOD 28" tires will run.

Nice work on the spreadsheet! It would give me a headache trying to put my car into that handicap deal though.
I do think I will take mine to a local track this summer and run it a few times just to see what a 273/999/3.73:1SG 4V GVOD 28" tires will run.
Thanks. Yeah, it'd be fun to see, and what the race was really all about. Sharing builds, and seeing outcomes. Obviously, the other engines aren't added yet, and would be if we do this again. It really only takes about 2 minutes to go through line by line with a scratch piece of paper, and either add or subtract starting with the base 15.9 E.T. Obviously, the other engines cannot due this yet, as they aren't listed on the spreadsheet. But, for example, you'd get a +.6 for using a 273, so your base, per say, would be a 16.5. then just use the rest of the chart for either adding or subtracting, and there is your dial index.

Thanks. Yeah, it'd be fun to see, and what the race was really all about. Sharing builds, and seeing outcomes. Obviously, the other engines aren't added yet, and would be if we do this again. It really only takes about 2 minutes to go through line by line with a scratch piece of paper, and either add or subtract starting with the base 15.9 E.T. Obviously, the other engines cannot due this yet, as they aren't listed on the spreadsheet. But, for example, you'd get a +.6 for using a 273, so your base, per say, would be a 16.5. then just use the rest of the chart for either adding or subtracting, and there is your dial index.
Hmmmmmm-----------------------I might have to give it a shot------------------------------

Take out the “X” block....
Good topic, and thanks for bringing it up. Is there an advantage if the cubes are no larger than a 340 +.030 or .060? Should there be an "extra" deduction for the X block? Without arguing, let's let others chime in....
And rumble, let's us know why?
And Yellow rose, let us know why?

And let me just state this now: NO POWER ADDERS - Boost or NOS. I'm not drawing up a penalty box for them... LOL

And... All cars must be street cars... that means you can fire it up, drive 20 miles at 55 mph to the next town, shut it off, restart it and drive it home without issues. It means it runs off of pump gas. It means you can sit next to a cop at a stop light and you won't (or shouldn't) get a ticket. It also means you race it in street form at the strip.

Last edited:
P.S. - if you have no interest in joining the race, please let us that have interest work out the details to see if there will be a race. IF you want to do this, please mark a spot(s) in poll. Thanks

I wanted to participate last year but I knew I wouldn't have my car ready. I am an afternoon or two to getting the car back on the road. It currently has a stock 318/904 in it.
I actually like the 318 only class but I can see including 273s if you can get a baseline for it.
Maybe another class can be created that includes the 340 and 360 or each engine size could be in its own class.

Either way, I would like to see the participation grow.

The X block is a race block that can come in a verity of bores starting with a low of 3.91 up to 4.185. Or 4.22.
The 4.185 x’s 3.31 = 364. X 3.58 = 393, x 4 =440, 4.125 = 453, x 4.25 = 467.
4.22 x 4.25 = 475.5.

Yea! It’s just a 318....

X blocks are not cheap.

Core 360’s LA or Magnum are easy to get and cheap by compare.

Ill definitely have a car this year.

68 valiant 5.9L 380hp create engine with 2800 stall manual shift 727 and for now 2.96 gears.

I wanted to participate last year but I knew I wouldn't have my car ready. I am an afternoon or two to getting the car back on the road. It currently has a stock 318/904 in it.
I actually like the 318 only class but I can see including 273s if you can get a baseline for it.
Maybe another class can be created that includes the 340 and 360 or each engine size could be in its own class.

Either way, I would like to see the participation grow.
yeah, More classes would be a lot more of the "drawing board" for me.. LOL. And, it's just last year we only had 4 actually make a pass and post. But we had a lot of fun in that thread. I just thought participation would be greater if we opened it up to the small blocks, stock stroke. Most of those that wanted to play were either 340's or 360's. Don't worry, they would be penalized for having the bigger motor. But that's something we will have to discuss, how much of a penalty for a 340/360, and how much should a 273 be given back?????????

The X block is a race block that can come in a verity of bores starting with a low of 3.91 up to 4.185. Or 4.22.
The 4.185 x’s 3.31 = 364. X 3.58 = 393, x 4 =440, 4.125 = 453, x 4.25 = 467.
4.22 x 4.25 = 475.5.

Yea! It’s just a 318....

X blocks are not cheap.

Core 360’s LA or Magnum are easy to get and cheap by compare.
My thought was this......
If it's a 3.31 stroke, it shouldn't have a bigger bore than 4.10 (340 bored .060 over). And, if it's ANY bore over the stock 4.04 bore of a factory 340, then it automatically gets a .4 tenths deduction. So, my question is this: Is there a gain in performance using the X block IF it's, per say, a 340 cubic inch?? IF so, we can equalize the gain with a deduction of E.T. index...???
  • Keep in mind, this isn't about the money, because those that spend it on high end performance are taking hits in the penalty box. Truly, a factory stock 318 2bbl in a pickup truck can be the winner. That's what makes this fun, honesty and a chance that every participant could be the winner! (Remember, it's all in fun :) )
Open to thoughts...... from all ?????

-
Back