Add 273's, 340's & 360's to the "318 Race" ?

yes, i would enter AND post a pass with...

• Total voters
-
318willrun, it seems like there could be a standard deduction from the 318 index for the 340/360's, without getting complicated, for your sake. Your 318 penalty box worked pretty good last year. The winner had to take a bunch of reductions and still landed right on your index. Also, if someone can honestly run under their index, good for them, and if someone wants to cheat to win virtually nothing, well, sucks to be them.

If someone is running an X block or a stock block way overbore instead of the .020-.040 clean up. Should be judged on a case by case. But a .040 and under is like 5-7 cid difference. A 360 42 cubes over 318 and is worth .5 wouldnt that make 5-7 cid about .06 ? Could round it to 1 or none.
I think (without referencing back) we deducted 4 tenths for any overbore. The thought was on the 318 race, if somebody went .030 over, the extra cubes is one thing, but most do it to raise compression. So, on a 318, if my stock 318 is a true 8:1, and somebody goes .030 over but uses good pistons and has 9:5 to1, they gained compression and cubes. That's why we deducted .4 tenths.
  • I'm trying to keep the penalty box generic. I didn't want 3 pages of rules/deductions... LOL. It will favor some, like somebody with 2.94's has the same penalty as somebody with 2.45's. But still, it generally gives everyone a chance to compete.

318willrun, it seems like there could be a standard deduction from the 318 index for the 340/360's, without getting complicated, for your sake. Your 318 penalty box worked pretty good last year. The winner had to take a bunch of reductions and still landed right on your index. Also, if someone can honestly run under their index, good for them, and if someone wants to cheat to win virtually nothing, well, sucks to be them.
Thanks! I was happy to read your post :) And I think you are spot-on. My plan was just to add a line like 340/360 block - deduct .5 and 273 block add .6 the end. Easy and I think it will work.

Why not a 408 since I read they were no faster then a 360?.....................

No. Everything else besides a 318 is just a piece of ****. ;)

I think (without referencing back) we deducted 4 tenths for any overbore. The thought was on the 318 race, if somebody went .030 over, the extra cubes is one thing, but most do it to raise compression. So, on a 318, if my stock 318 is a true 8:1, and somebody goes .030 over but uses good pistons and has 9:5 to1, they gained compression and cubes. That's why we deducted .4 tenths.
  • I'm trying to keep the penalty box generic. I didn't want 3 pages of rules/deductions... LOL. It will favor some, like somebody with 2.94's has the same penalty as somebody with 2.45's. But still, it generally gives everyone a chance to compete.

That would still even work with 273/340/360

That would still even work with 273/340/360
I'm thinking along the lines of Post 51, just add a line to the penalty box I already have from the 318 race with a standard deduction for a 340 block and a 360 block, and they would go through line by line and deduct/add the rest themselves for heads, cam, overbore, etc. etc. That would be fair if we kept the same base car listed on line 2 of the penalty box. 273 block would add to the base E.T.

Why not a 408 since I read they were no faster then a 360?.....................
It’s true! Just ask the guys upstairs in Canada! There more expensive, eat more power, less bang for the buck, etc....

No. Everything else besides a 318 is just a piece of ****. ;)
Read above. ;)

Please explain. Do you mean 360's against 360's, 340's against 340's, 273's against 273's? I have a full time job, ya know... LOL :D Seriously, that would be a lot of penalty boxes and brackets to keep track. I would rather keep them all under one chart, and see J par's "more purposeful 4x4 truck" be ahead of Yellow Roses 340 X block Dart Sport in the standings LOL hahahaaaha
Big engine/small engine

But pay no mind to me.
Do what is needed and easiest.
Keep money out of it. It’s a sure fire way to bring out the cheaters and worst in us. It will just make a mess of things.

So if I'm reading this right, these are members that would be serious on making a pass?? There are others that have participated in the polls, but maybe we should start "I'm in" posts if your name isn't already on the list??
  1. DesertRat
  2. 89on35's
  3. dcmilt
  4. 318willrun
  5. 273
  6. DFX Duster
  7. Yellow Rose
  8. 65Vsignet
  9. SSG_Karg
Updated list at the top of page 6.

Last edited:
Here is a quick revised version of the penalty box.

Attachments

• Penalty box small block race.pdf
    374.5 KB · Views: 297
So if I'm reading this right, these are members that would be serious on making a pass?? There are others that have participated in the polls, but maybe we should start "I'm in" posts if your name isn't already on the list??
  1. DesertRat
  2. 89on35's
  3. dcmilt
  4. 318willrun
  5. 273
  6. DFX Duster
  7. Yellow Rose
  8. 65Vsignet

I have a 73 duster sitting here I might be able to use. Hell, we may buy the thing. 318 with an intake and Carter 4bbl.

Count me in.

I have a 73 duster sitting here I might be able to use. Hell, we may buy the thing. 318 with an intake and Carter 4bbl.

Count me in.
Why not your Dart Sport???? Enter 'em both, and your truck :D

I’m in again. Had a blast last year. Few upgrades over the winter should make me a little quicker too.
Keep the prize to bragging rights.

BE32D9BD-3814-48E2-861A-09BAEC6B0A25.jpeg

Im definitely in this time. Mine adds up to minus 3 so 12.90. My local track is only 600 above so no change there so the only thing left is the weight. 68 Valiant might be same or a 100 lighter cant see being heavier.

I got one point with the penalty box. And thats the magnum. I assume the -.3 its mainly cause the roller cam. I think instead of -.3 on magnums its should be added under cams if anyone is using a roller cam.

It’s true! Just ask the guys upstairs in Canada! There more expensive, eat more power, less bang for the buck, etc....

Read above. ;)

Big engine/small engine

But pay no mind to me.
Do what is needed and easiest.
Keep money out of it. It’s a sure fire way to bring out the cheaters and worst in us. It will just make a mess of things.

OMG you got keep digging it in lol
Its all good :)

But I was actually gonna suggest earlier. That cubic inch shouldnt be penaltized but the gearing and stalls should be penalty different for each engine. Which in the end would work to the same so its easier to just penaltize the engine :)

Im sure if this all works out could add 408 maybe even /6 next year if 318willrun wanted to.

Sure it could be just subtract something like - 1.2 for 408 and add similar to /6.

Im definitely in this time. Mine adds up to minus 3 so 12.90. My local track is only 600 above so no change there so the only thing left is the weight. 68 Valiant might be same or a 100 lighter cant see being heavier.

I got one point with the penalty box. And thats the magnum. I assume the -.3 its mainly cause the roller cam. I think instead of -.3 on magnums its should be added under cams if anyone is using a roller cam.
-.3 on the magnum is for the following reasons:
  1. a lighter rotating assembly than LA
  2. Pistons are usually closer to top of the block than LA (better quench)
  3. Pistons rings are set up better
Has nothing to do with the roller cam, as late LA 318/360's had rollers too.

And yet you mention myself and bypass the others who mentioned it first...

LMAO

Soon enough, 318 will go to NASA for complicated formulas watered down for the common man and everybody will be racing. Jap bikes, Pep Boys motor scooters, skate boarders, MILF’s with baby carriages ......

Rumblefish's last line ^^^^^ LOL :D Strokers will always be a mess. think of the possibilities. Here are some:
  • 318 with 360 crank
  • 340 with 360 crank
  • 318 with 4" crank
  • 340 with 4" crank
  • 360 with 4" crank
Then the big blocks, then the /6's, then the new gen hemi's, then the pentastar V6, then 4 pages of penalty box, then somebody better put me on Payroll.... LOL

I think I like it right where it is...... :)

Rumblefish's last line ^^^^^ LOL :D Strokers will always be a mess. think of the possibilities. Here are some:
  • 318 with 360 crank
  • 340 with 360 crank
  • 318 with 4" crank
  • 340 with 4" crank
  • 360 with 4" crank
Then the big blocks, then the /6's, then the new gen hemi's, then the pentastar V6, then 4 pages of penalty box, then somebody better put me on Payroll.... LOL

I think I like it right where it is...... :)

Im happy with the way things are
I hope my car can do 12.90 with 380hp create and 2.96 gears. Thats a good buy.

But not trying to make more work for ya but in the future even if you did open up to stroker. You'd probably have to do by blocks and cranks. So 318 would be the standard and same with the 3.31 stroke. So a 340 block would have to be -.5 and no penalty for stroke obviously. And just guesstimating 360 block would have to be like -.3 and -.3 for 3.58 stroke. And 3.79 woùld be like -.6 and 4 would be -1.2 etc... just a thought lol.

-
Back