ATTENTION 318 owners: any interest???

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was thinking for 2017 that it would be fun to organize a race. Any 318 mopar could participate, and have a "generic" equal opportunity. It would work like "handi-cap" race, but use the "penalty" system instead.
So, your 318 2bbl pickup could compete, or your Eddy head 318 Duster. I would be willing to be "track monitor" and set the penalty box IF...... IF I had at least 20 people that would be serious enough to at least be a participant (means your vehicle GOES to the track).

I picked the 318 because it's so common and would most likely bring the most people. 318 Van? Pickup? C-body? But a 318 in street form would be required to participate.
No strokers, or power adders would be permitted (NOS/BOOST). I would draw a generic penalty box for the rest.

Any interest or questions?????

I was thinking for 2017 that it would be fun to organize a race. Any 318 mopar could participate, and have a "generic" equal opportunity. It would work like "handi-cap" race, but use the "penalty" system instead.
So, your 318 2bbl pickup could compete, or your Eddy head 318 Duster. I would be willing to be "track monitor" and set the penalty box IF...... IF I had at least 20 people that would be serious enough to at least be a participant (means your vehicle GOES to the track).

I picked the 318 because it's so common and would most likely bring the most people. 318 Van? Pickup? C-body? But a 318 in street form would be required to participate.
No strokers, or power adders would be permitted (NOS/BOOST). I would draw a generic penalty box for the rest.

Any interest or questions?????
Hell yeah count me in.

just a little example of how the penalty box works. Like timing, you look for TDC. In this case, TDC would be:
318 2bbl, 3300 lb car, 2.76 gears in pretty much original state (dual exhaust ok). We'd say 15.9 would be the expected E.T. (I hit 15.9 with a B-body 318-2).
Now, you'd add/or subtract a .1 for every 100 lbs variance in weight.
So, a C-body weighing 4300 lbs with 2.76 gears, 318 2bbl would be 1000 lbs heavier, giving a .1 for every 100 lbs, they'd be (retarted from TDC) and would be given a 16.9 E.T.

You would have a penalty box set for performance additions.
Example: carburation/intake upgrade of any kind would be a .4 penalty. So, the given car above with the 15.9 E.T. would have their E.T dropped to 15.5 because of the 4bbl (per say). Headers, per say, would be another .4 penalty. So, a car like the TDC vehicle, but has 4bbl and headers would be "advanced from TDC" and need to run a 15.1 vs a 15.9.
So "BobsDuzter" that needs to run a 15.1 actually ran a 14.9, would be a positive +.2
And "Twoton"'s C-body needs to run a 16.9 actually ran a 17.3 would be a negative -.4.
BobsDuzter would be ahead of Twoton in the standings.

Hope this isn't too confusing. I would create the generic "penalty box" for heads, cams, gears, converters, etc.

Last edited:
So for grins and giggles, based on your baseline for Twoton above, where would my Fury end up expected to run after the penalty bow adjustments? I've never had it to the track, but the front end gets real light at 110mph. Here's my set up:
69 Fury III ragtop
Stock numbers matching 318 bottom end
Original un-ported heads
340 sixpack cam, springs, intake and carbs
5.9 Durango exhaust manifolds with 2.5 duals thru flow masters
727 auto tf2 shift kit and 2500 stall convertor
3.55 peg leg rear

And enough room to carry 6-8 people, a portable grill, a packed 30 quart cooler, a shade tent, 6 chairs, the spare tire (had to throw that in there for fun)

I know there is a lot of room to really wake her up, but I'm happy with it for the last 14 years. It walks away from the wife's 5.9 Durano and still pulls down 18-20 mpg on a road trip and 16 around town if I keep my foot light on the go pedal.

There used to be a 69 Coronet around here that was an old SS AHRA car. Ran high 10s low 11s with a 318 and W2 heads,
wound that sucker up to around 8k ! It was pretty cool to watch.

where would this be located, and are stock 318 engines in otherwise stock cars allowed? i.e. 318 miata?
It would happen at your local drag strip (1/4 mile, not 1/8). If you have a 318 in a street car (sorry, 12.1 compression on 110 octane with 5.13 gears isn't really a street car), with a 318 stroke (3.31) and no power adders (NOS/BOOST), your in.

So for grins and giggles, based on your baseline for Twoton above, where would my Fury end up expected to run after the penalty bow adjustments? I've never had it to the track, but the front end gets real light at 110mph. Here's my set up:
69 Fury III ragtop
Original un-ported heads
3.55 peg leg rear

And enough room to carry 6-8 people, a portable grill, a packed 30 quart cooler, a shade tent, 6 chairs, the spare tire (had to throw that in there for fun)

I know there is a lot of room to really wake her up, but I'm happy with it for the last 14 years. It walks away from the wife's 5.9 Durano and still pulls down 18-20 mpg on a road trip and 16 around town if I keep my foot light on the go pedal.
You would just use the "penalty box" for your entire car. Very easy. If I get 20 serious contestants, I'll move forward and finish the penalty box. Of course, it's for funs so honesty system would be in play

If I get 20 people seriously interested, I'll create a thread in the Racers Forum with the Penalty Box. All a person would have to do is list their car and the E.T. needed according to the Chart. Then at some point get to the strip and make a pass. Report back and I'll post a chart of the standings. Pictures of cars and E.T. slips or videos adds to the fun.
I think some good ideas could be shared with the fun!

69 Fury III ragtop
Original un-ported heads
3.55 peg leg rear
This is what I have now.
subtract: .4 for your cam, .4 carb/intake, .4 converter, .5 for the 3.55's bringing you down to 14.2 E.T. for your mechanics. However, you would have to get a weight on the car because you'd be getting some tenths back for being over 3300 lbs. Every 100 lbs. over 3300 would be a tenth giving back. So let's say you weighed 4100 lbs, your net E.T. would be a 15.0

Would a car fitted with electronic ignition that didn't originally have electronic get penalty points away??

Like say a 1968 model year car with a Mopar performance electronic ignition kit (o.e. parts) put on......otherwise totally stock

If I get my car on the road this year I'm in.
Hoping too

What if I show up with an X block and have the X removed? Stock stroke, but at minimum a 4.03 bore?

How would you police that?

What if I show up with an X block and have the X removed? Stock stroke, but at minimum a 4.03 bore?

How would you police that?
Well, don't remove the "X" on account of this race..... LOL ! Nobody is going to inspect your car anyways, it's an honesty system. There is a penalty (deduction of time) for overbore because you gain C.I., plus an increase in compression.

Overbore is common in rebuilds to clean up cylinders and to make the cylinder true. However, nothing more than a .060 over will be allowed.
This is for 318's be it Poly, LA, or magnum. The penalty box will state the proper deductions.

No 1000 dollar purse so I don't know why anyone would want to cheat, other than for others to say "he can really tune".... lol.

We won't know if you have a 408 stroker or not by the pictures. However, if somebody claims the only addition is a 4bbl to their 318 in their otherwise stock truck with 3.23's weighing 3900 lbs, but clicks off a 12.44 E.T., well, :D , I think we might all know something is up :D

Would a car fitted with electronic ignition that didn't originally have electronic get penalty points away??

Like say a 1968 model year car with a Mopar performance electronic ignition kit (o.e. parts) put on......otherwise totally stock
there will be no penalty for any ignition systems. Points, electronic, MSD, Pertronix, or whatever as I have found very little gain, if any, from even upgrading from a single point system on a pump gas, true street 318. Playing with the ignition timing is truly your tune, your business.

Street will be described as a car that can cruise 55 mph for a 1/2 hour straight on a summer day to "the next towns DQ" (so to speak) meeting a state trooper along the way and seeing the "next towns" city cop with no issues, and pulling in at the local gas station for pump gas (93 octane or less).
There will be no penalty for traction devices or DOT drag tires either. Both are very streetable and help the 318 put the power to the ground.
I'm really trying not to "bog it down" with rules, yet keep it on a generic, equal playing field.

Are poly 318s in scope?
Yep, Poly, LA, or Magnum.
LA and Poly short block will be the same.
Magnum short block will have a slight reduction in E.T. because of a lighter rotating assembly and better compression.
Then, you'd use the "penalty box" for heads, cam, overbore, etc.

If interest grows, and more folks want to have fun with this, I will post the penalty box and then we can review any changes the PARTICIPANTS would like.

I would think a lot of tips could be learned/shared with an event like this.

I know your there, but where the hell are you?

I don't want to trailer to Maryland. Or Florida.

Where will this thing be run?

I know your there, but where the hell are you?

I don't want to trailer to Maryland. Or Florida.

Where will this thing be run?
you will report your car here (FABO). It will either be advanced/retarded (per say) and you'll have a E.T. issued per Penalty box. You will run at YOUR local drag way (has to be 1/4 mile, no 1/8). Then you will report your results. You will either be +/- your E.T. and will be placed in the standings accordingly. Remember, it's all for fun. Honesty will make this great!
Post #3 is an easy example.
Oh, I'm personally in Illinois :)

Count me in. Hope to make my first run at the Nats in August. Might hit the local 1/8 to get it dialed in but it's still a few months from track ready.

Well damn, like a fantasy racing deal with real cars.

I'm in but how bad you going to beat me up for a 340 with a SD and Slide-A-Link?

EDIT: and an X block. I don't want to grind the numbers off. 4.04 bore.

-
Back