Build thread- 73 duster, forged 5.7 w/ PS and AC, 5 spd, big brakes and floater rear

-
Need to update the thread.

Cracked 1000 miles last week. Had the car on the dyno, still need to dyno tune it. Pics below.

Mustang Chassis Dyno (conservative tune):

With this timing chart:

Youtube of 2nd of 2 pulls:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-w-yaAnScA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-w-yaAnScA[/ame]

Blacked out the trim and wheels (plastidip). I like it, so I'll probably paint all exterior chrome trim black. Still need to play with bumpers and grille.

Aerolatch hood pins (this pic made me paint the scoop):

General engine pics (working on sealing the tubes from the engine bay - this is not a finished product):

AC install pics:

Bolt in / removable roll bar for Texas Mile, HPDE's, etc:

Nitrous plates. Not sure I'm ready:

I'm Still going to say that I am one of the first to put a Gen III in an A Body car. It was one nightmare, after another getting things to fit, and work. I had the guys at our local Case IH shop going nuts fabricating things, and re-fabricating those things, again, and over. To watch all you guys perfect the hemi builds is just awesome. What beautiful work. Nice, nice, nice...

Well, both peaks should not be at 6k, so I need to add timing down around 4400 (where the torque peak should be).

Nice numbers. How big of a hit do you plan on putting on it? I have a kit for mine but will probably start out with a 75hp shot and see how she likes it.

Aj

I'm not sure about the nitrous. Might throw 150-250 at it. Honestly, I'm wishing I built a stroker motor about now :/

Isn't the roll bar supposed to be IN the car? ;)

Car looks good and sounds good, you should be proud.

Thanks for all the info.

381 HP to the rear wheels is VERY respectable for 345 Cubic inches.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Isn't the roll bar supposed to be IN the car? ;)

Car looks good and sounds good, you should be proud.

Thanks for all the info.

381 HP to the rear wheels is VERY respectable for 345 Cubic inches.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks!

I'm hoping to tune it up to 420 rwtq & 420 rwhp. We'll see if I ever get there! Too bad my car is 3,800 pounds fully wet with driver and spare tire...

Yep all I can say is--You should have stroked it---I'm glad I did--Nice Job--Steve

Thanks!

I'm hoping to tune it up to 420 rwtq & 420 rwhp. We'll see if I ever get there! Too bad my car is 3,800 pounds fully wet with driver and spare tire...

Looking to find 40HP? Hmmm. I remember back in the 80s Hot Rod dragstrip tuned a 383 Chevelle at LACR. They picked up a full 1/2 second in the quarter mile, by careful tuning. For me personally I bought my dad's old sand-rail and was able to go from losing to him in the drags to beating him in a drag race up a sand dune simply by re-jetting the 48 IDA webers and upgrading the ignition system. So I know that a lot of HP can be found by careful tuning.

I think you have a good shot at getting there.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

PWR has some pretty badass cams on clearance right now on LXForums. I grabbed one...and some pistons....

The tune I dynoed it with was 30% less timing than a stock 5.7 across the board. I put some 100 octane in today and put in a timing table I had from another car with a similar combo - definitely picked up. Need to get on the dyno for a tuning session and iron this out all the way.

Those PWR cams look tempting! I've got a little 218/224 in the motor right now. Definitely been considering something in the mid 230's, but honestly I should leave it alone with road racing. I figure if I can reach MBT without knock, this cam is perfect. Throw nitrous at it on the strip, and run it NA on the road course.

Nice build! I love your car and the color combo is my favorite!

The tune I dynoed it with was 30% less timing than a stock 5.7 across the board. I put some 100 octane in today and put in a timing table I had from another car with a similar combo - definitely picked up. Need to get on the dyno for a tuning session and iron this out all the way.

Those PWR cams look tempting! I've got a little 218/224 in the motor right now. Definitely been considering something in the mid 230's, but honestly I should leave it alone with road racing. I figure if I can reach MBT without knock, this cam is perfect. Throw nitrous at it on the strip, and run it NA on the road course.

What degree of timing are you running with yours?

null_zpsd1171ee1.jpg

Oh damn! That is sweet man! Just got my PWR goodies today, cam looks like, A CAM and the pistons look like jewelry.

I haven't updated the thread in a while. Here's a quick update:

October 2013
1. Forged 5.7 put down 415 RWHP on a mustang dyno before going to the texas mile
2. Melted a few pistons at the texas mile due to the battery cable grounding itself and reducing fuel pump output at 7000+ rpm causing it to run lean. Lesson learned.

November 2013
3. Put a bone stock 6.1 in the car.
4. Went to Texas World Speedway for my first HPDE. Failed voltage regulator caused a few issues on day 1, but car ran great on day 2.

Jan 2014
5. Back to Texas World Speedway after putting a throttle cam on the Hilborn to keep it from 'hitting' so hard. Much easier to modulate throttle now when coming out of a corner. Car ran great, only faster car in group was Lamborghini Superleggera. Passed '08 lambo, Ferrari f430, GTR, brz's, 911 turbo, ZL-1 camaro, etc etc
DusteronGrid_zps87f7c4fa.jpg

null_zps857d1597.jpg

IMG_11871_zps8b521a6f.jpg

March 2014
6. Won the burnout competition at TX2k14
[ame]http://youtu.be/fXsaPbjeLjY[/ame]

pic2_zps9ecd90ee.jpg

7. Back to Texas World Speedway for another track day - this one was the mustang roundup. Car ran even better, working over a few Shelby's, Laguna Seca Boss's, etc.

Took a quick pic last night. Headed to the Big Bend Open Road Race next week. Will be running in the 125 mph division (140 tech speed).

3FD1918F-C1C1-42BE-92C1-503D9C55ADAD_zpss2notzro.png

null_zps0b7d9583.jpg

Also, bought a new 6.1 block, 3.795 crank, and ordering custom pistons right now. Building a 6.1 based 392 for the car.

So are those clearance cuts in the fender so you could drop the car lower and keep enough travel??

You nailed it magnumdust.

I didn't expect or plan on it. After running around for a while, there was cracking paint on the inner fender well and the underside was rubbed smooth from contact. I did a quick cut and paste right before the mile. Increased room by 1-1.5". I think I needed ~0.75" if I remember correctly.

It's probably a combination of all these things:
7.2" backspace wheels, 26.2" tire height, and the shortest bump stops I could find.

-
Back