Decision To Own A Handgun

-
There's a lot of good advice here. One thing not pointed out yet, is the fit of the handgun to the hand. I tend to be the gun guy that folks (mostly women) come to for a discussion on firearms. IMHO, one of the most important factors for finding the right gun is finding the one that fits you well, doesn't have too much recoil, and that you can shoot well. It's a Goldilocks thing. Not to big, not too small, but just right.

I have very small hands, as do most women. I sold off all of my too-large handguns to replace them with ones that fit me well. Several of the knowledge-seekers have fallen in love with one of my handguns and after taking to the range to shoot with a variety of arms, they marched down to buy their own.

In reality, this works for everyone. I have a wife, two daughters, and a few woman friends that go shooting. My Daughters since about 6 or 7 years old. Almost everything imaginable from a Ruger Bearcat to 44 Mag. It's fun to see them figure out what they like. Only my brother will shoot the 44 Mag but he is amazing with it.

There's a lot of good advice here. One thing not pointed out yet, is the fit of the handgun to the hand. I tend to be the gun guy that folks (mostly women) come to for a discussion on firearms. IMHO, one of the most important factors for finding the right gun is finding the one that fits you well, doesn't have too much recoil, and that you can shoot well. It's a Goldilocks thing. Not to big, not too small, but just right.

I have very small hands, as do most women. I sold off all of my too-large handguns to replace them with ones that fit me well. Several of the knowledge-seekers have fallen in love with one of my handguns and after taking to the range to shoot with a variety of arms, they marched down to buy their own.

Very true.

And a grip change can make a world of difference.

For first timers to shoot a lightweight .38 snub, I add this set of big honkin' Pachmayrs.

Even the petite appreciate them (and the powder puff ammo).
smith performance1.jpg

Yes, if taken seriously will lead to muscle memory, will do it even with a cordless drill........
That is 100% correct, every day at work and at Home, that is how I hold every impact driver, screw-gun, drill,
etc., it has become second nature....................

My decision was based on...

TITNG5PNRZMTSHKCQYT7JUCCIE.jpg

Wife carries an LCRx in 38+p. There are 2 Taurus Judges in the house for quick access along with a 20gua Rem 870.

All with lasers for the lesser trained shooter.

american-flag-793891__480.jpg

God Bless the USA!

I'm impressed. Four pages without one idiot chiming in to tell us the 2nd is outdated, guns kill people, and this is car forum, how dare we discuss anything else.

Taught both my wives to shoot. Never on a handgun, though. First thing I had to do was establish eye dominance. Amazing how many people think, since they are a certain hand dominant they must be the same eye dominant.

Didn't work out for Sarah. Her supposed gun expert uncle first put a gun in her hand. She couldn't hit the barnyard from the barn roof. Gave it up.

Once she found out she was left eye dominant (only making sense since her right eye was a lazy since birth) and was helped to be made comfortable shooting left handed she actually started enjoying it. Especially since she could hit the target.

I'm impressed. Four pages without one idiot chiming in to tell us the 2nd is outdated, guns kill people, and this is car forum, how dare we discuss anything else.

Taught both my wives to shoot. Never on a handgun, though. First thing I had to do was establish eye dominance. Amazing how many people think, since they are a certain hand dominant they must be the same eye dominant.

Didn't work out for Sarah. Her supposed gun expert uncle first put a gun in her hand. She couldn't hit the barnyard from the barn roof. Gave it up.

Once she found out she was left eye dominant (only making sense since her right eye was a lazy since birth) and was helped to be made comfortable shooting left handed she actually started enjoying it. Especially since she could hit the target.

People in the circles i speak to generally cross interests between cars and firearms. I'm not surprised there are are large group of people who are interested in both.

North Dakota passed a new law last year that all can conceal carry without a license, you can't open carry. Well so far so good haven't heard of anything bad yet.
I have had a conceal carry permit and a few others for many years and it scares me to think that some one out there is packing with out a clue how to aim or even reload.
Like someone said earlier You can't drive without learning how and you shouldn't shoot without learning how.
Just my 2 cents.

This, the interchangable grips, is what sold my wife on the ruger sr22.

Although my brother gave me a walther p22 and she likes the feel of it as well

I like the interchangeable grips on my HK P30. Makes it fit my hand like a glove.

The Pachmeyer’s on my Taurus PT-99 made all the difference in the World too.

I like the interchangeable grips on my HK P30. Makes it fit my hand like a glove.

A big fat X2 on this one. My P30 is the best-fitting, most natural match for my hand of any handgun I've ever owned, and that covers a whole lot of guns over the last 45 years. There is no competition for this title. I'm a right-handed shooter, and I use a mis-matched system with small backstrap, small left side, and medium right side grips. It fits me like it was painted on. H&K are in the Cadillac range price-wise, but worth every penny.

People in the circles i speak to generally cross interests between cars and firearms. I'm not surprised there are are large group of people who are interested in both.

I agree.

There have been a lot of times that threads like this pop up and you have a few who jump in to start a debate about the things I've mentioned.

North Dakota passed a new law last year that all can conceal carry without a license, you can't open carry. Well so far so good haven't heard of anything bad yet.
I have had a conceal carry permit and a few others for many years and it scares me to think that some one out there is packing with out a clue how to aim or even reload.
Like someone said earlier You can't drive without learning how and you shouldn't shoot without learning how.
Just my 2 cents.

Your analogy is flawed. Just because someone passes a drivers test doesn't mean they can drive worth a ****.

I don't want the government establishing laws about how to use a firearm. The government is stupid.

Who says issuing a permit means you can handle a weapon? My nephew, with two tours through Iraq shot himself. You can't fix stupid.

Your analogy is flawed. Just because someone passes a drivers test doesn't mean they can drive worth a ****.

I don't want the government establishing laws about how to use a firearm. The government is stupid.

Who says issuing a permit means you can handle a weapon? My nephew, with two tours through Iraq shot himself. You can't fix stupid.

I agree. The government issuing a license, and assuming that person is proficient, smart, and informed is a fallacy.

That being said, there are laws we must abide by(usually....), not necessarily to protect others, but to protect yourself from the government and laws that are in place.

Worse than firearms and drivers permits, some people are allowed to procreate without a license..............

What do you call a doctor who finishes last in his class?

Doctor.

All this talk of personal firearms makes me sad. Knowing that I lost all of mine in a recent freak boating accident!

All this talk of personal firearms makes me sad. Knowing that I lost all of mine in a recent freak boating accident!
Sorry to here that 68gtxman. Hope no one got injured.

I'm glad real estate agents take my class.

They check all the boxes:
1. Dress up
2. Arrange meetings at empty houses
3. with total strangers.

"NOT TODAY MR. PERP!"

train nra3.jpg

My wife also chose to buy a Brownind BDA 380 as her 1st handgun over 20 yrs ago. She a absolutely loves it. And is a pretty damn good shot.

Pat
Those BDA are gorgeous.

Im a wheel gun guy and the BDA just has the look. I think its to short for Canada unfortunately.

Very true.. the last time wife loaded her little 380's clip, she put the bullets in backwards.....

Just for grins: A farming friend of mine says of a 380.... "Better have a knife with you 'cuz all you're gonna do is make it mad".

Tell him to get infront of it then.

Just like people say 38spl is weak. The way it bangs ar 500 3/8 plate around with 158gr out of my lever action i wouldnt want to get nailed by it...

Those BDA are gorgeous.

Im a wheel gun guy and the BDA just has the look. I think its to short for Canada unfortunately.

Ya, she looked at several other 380s. Was leaning towards the PPK, until she saw and handled the BDA. Like you, I'm more of a revolver guy and use a 629 or Super Blackhawk for most of my hunting and plinking. Handloads from cat sneeze to fire breathing levels make them pretty universal.

Be well,
Pat

Tell him to get infront of it then.

Just like people say 38spl is weak. The way it bangs ar 500 3/8 plate around with 158gr out of my lever action i wouldnt want to get nailed by it...

Heck, a BB in the right spot will have you pushing daisy's...... Not sure where the mentality started that small guns are tinkers toys... Oh, I forgot, must be a Mel Gibson kind of thing....

JW

-
Back