LA 360 or Magnum 5.9

-
I've got a 1973 mopar with a tired number matching 318. Running a built 904. LA motors are getting harder and harder to find, but magnums are readily available. I want something around 320-350 hp. I hear it's alot easier to get with magnum motors. I know factory heads on mags are bad and the cam will need to be changed to a long snout or use a kit to create a centric on cam to run mechanical fuel Pump. Who has done this build or swap. Is it pretty simple and everything bolt up or should I just keep. Looking for a LA 360 to build.

Holy crap this is one of those threads I almost want to directly answer to post by post. This is ridiculous and one heck of an easy answer. Buy a Magnum 5.9/360 whatever you want to call it. Forget LA those days are long gone and best forgotten- buy EQ CH318b's assembled. Send roller cam for regrind (210/215 @.050" 112 LSA about .475-.490" at valve) Edelbrock RPM intake, stock rebuilt bottom maybe .020" -.030" stock cast pistons etc.. Start, idle will be amazing, expect to smile when foot is above 1/8-3/4 throttle, enjoy 370-400 HP and 430-440 ft/lbs on 87 octane. 360's are the way--tons of torque so you can cruise @ 75mph all day with a sane gear. Kinda surprised you weren't getting hammered to build a 408-410-416-426-440-451-471-499-505-512-543 etc.... Ridiculous. J.Rob

Holy crap this is one of those threads I almost want to directly answer to post by post. This is ridiculous and one heck of an easy answer. Buy a Magnum 5.9/360 whatever you want to call it. Forget LA those days are long gone and best forgotten- buy EQ CH318b's assembled. Send roller cam for regrind (210/215 @.050" 112 LSA about .475-.490" at valve) Edelbrock RPM intake, stock rebuilt bottom maybe .020" -.030" stock cast pistons etc.. Start, idle will be amazing, expect to smile when foot is above 1/8-3/4 throttle, enjoy 370-400 HP and 430-440 ft/lbs on 87 octane. 360's are the way--tons of torque so you can cruise @ 75mph all day with a sane gear. Kinda surprised you weren't getting hammered to build a 408-410-416-426-440-451-471-499-505-512-543 etc.... Ridiculous. J.Rob[/QUOTE

I'm currently searching for a magnum to start on.

How would I go about getting that kind of power from a baby 318. I hear 360 heads kill compression. Best piston I found is a kb167. Stroker to 390 will be too pricey. 302 heads are scarce like a unicorn.

'302 heads are junk-don't fall for that B.S.--150+ cfm--LOOKOUT! J.Rob

Did Drag Week in the Valiant with 4:10 gears ... when we were on the interstate it was scary how fast people would pass us....

Take a vid--------------------------------------------------of anything you've done. I'll wait. J.Rob

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I drive the car all the time.

If I feel nice when I do my W-2 heads I'll take some video. I don't get my nuts off making video.

I’m doing a stock stroke magnum 360 build next so I want this thread to keep rolling....mine will be a tame build with a sniper EFI.

01B07E44-2E9B-4B6D-8A9D-5BEEF6B5D381.jpeg

You've already got the 318. I'd rebuild that motor. With the right parts, 325 will be easy. Plus there will be NO worries as to what will transfer over and what will not.
Someone disagreed with my post. I have thick skin, and the fact that someone disagreed with me does not bother me, I am just curious as to what part of the post he disagreed with. Does he think 325 HP is not doable? Or does he disagree with my comment that sticking with his current motor (if possible) would simplify everything. Many years ago, either Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine had a HP contest for 3 small block motors. They started with a 350 Chevy, a 351 Windsor and a 318. They set a budget of about $1500, and the 318 made the most power (about 340 or so if I remember). So I guess it boils down to what the OP wants. If he wants a nice cruiser with a nice V8 that will smoke the tires, a 318 will do it. But if he wants to go racing and eventually pump the motor up to 450 - 500 HP some day, then go with more displacement. But to disagree with the fact that a 318 can easily put out 325 HP (with the right parts) and that sticking with your current motor (and not having to worry about changing anything) will be easier in the long run does not make a lot of sense.

Someone disagreed with my post. I have thick skin, and the fact that someone disagreed with me does not bother me, I am just curious as to what part of the post he disagreed with. Does he think 325 HP is not doable? Or does he disagree with my comment that sticking with his current motor (if possible) would simplify everything. Many years ago, either Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine had a HP contest for 3 small block motors. They started with a 350 Chevy, a 351 Windsor and a 318. They set a budget of about $1500, and the 318 made the most power (about 340 or so if I remember). So I guess it boils down to what the OP wants. If he wants a nice cruiser with a nice V8 that will smoke the tires, a 318 will do it. But if he wants to go racing and eventually pump the motor up to 450 - 500 HP some day, then go with more displacement. But to disagree with the fact that a 318 can easily put out 325 HP (with the right parts) and that sticking with your current motor (and not having to worry about changing anything) will be easier in the long run does not make a lot of sense.

I'm wanting some decent power. If can be done with 318 I could go that route. I have a heavy car and 318 lacks the torque of a 360. I want a nice cruiser that will stomp some 5.0 mustangs and ls chebbys. If it can be done with a 318 without stroking it I would be game.

When you say stomp 5.0 mustangs you mean stock ones from the 80”s or new 5.0”s..... big difference

When you say stomp 5.0 mustangs you mean stock ones from the 80”s or new 5.0”s..... big difference

Well the new ones mostly come stick with over 400 and light car. Sure it would take a stroker 408 or bb to hang with one if those

Well the new ones mostly come stick with over 400 and light car. Sure it would take a stroker 408 or bb to hang with one if those
Oh no and hell no.
I disagree!!!!

The problem is on several front and it isn’t the engines ability in anyway shape or form but how well the engine is allowed to perform. AKA how the engine itself is making use of the fuel.

The modern engines have every advantage. You can upgrade to that advantage to a large degree. The problem is the depth of your wallet. And it is IMO mostly insane to upgrade that much on an older engine. But! Making th jump to excellent parts and then equaling a few they have is where it starts.
Ether that or just use they tri d and true old school lessons!

Multiple gear trans and better suspension is what your needing.
So ask yourself, do I want to spend the money on a 5spd trans? Fuel injection? Porting heads?

Your 318 is 16 cubes better with equipment (OE as delivered!) that can pull off the job.

Been there, done that, have eatten horse for dinner. Next!

Oh no and hell no.
I disagree!!!!

The problem is on several front and it isn’t the engines ability in anyway shape or form but how well the engine is allowed to perform. AKA how the engine itself is making use of the fuel.

The modern engines have every advantage. You can upgrade to that advantage to a large degree. The problem is the depth of your wallet. And it is IMO mostly insane to upgrade that much on an older engine. But! Making th jump to excellent parts and then equaling a few they have is where it starts.
Ether that or just use they tri d and true old school lessons!

Multiple gear trans and better suspension is what your needing.
So ask yourself, do I want to spend the money on a 5spd trans? Fuel injection? Porting heads?

Your 318 is 16 cubes better with equipment (OE as delivered!) that can pull off the job.

Been there, done that, have eatten horse for dinner. Next!

Since I can't find a LA or mag 360 near me under my budget I'll probably just build my 318 with some J heads and go.

Do you have the old Mopar catalog with the speed tips section by chance?

With that answer, you don’t have it.

With me saying/asking about the “Speed Tip” section where they list part by part with part numbers, you should know this/about this.

These tips should be a sticky for base parts to use. For the ET selected.

318willrun has a really basic set up he showed everyone here and he ran pretty OK! Minor changes to his combo and you could really pick up the beat some.

Here ya go bud! This should help a bit!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
Now the draw back to this list is many if not all parts are impossible to get BUT the parts can be looked up for reference and then you can get more modern parts that will out perform the ones listed.
Things like....
The use of there 6 pack is just stupid expensive and you would want to do that because you want to do that.
Otherwise, save PILES of money and use a RPM-AG intake and a single 750/850 Holley.
The MP cams were fine for then and will still perform now BUT a modern Comp/Lunati/Howard’s etc...
would be much better.

I haven’t met a single person that followed these tips and been disappointed! Not one. They always perform a little better than they thought it would.
Enjoy the list!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here ya go bud! This should help a bit!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
Now the draw back to this list is many if not all parts are impossible to get BUT the parts can be looked up for reference and then you can get more modern parts that will put perform the ones listed.
Things like....
use of there 6 pack is just stupid expensive and you would want to do that because you want to do that.
Otherwise, save PILES of money and use a RPM-AG intake and a single 750/850 Holley.
The MP cams were fine for them and will still perform now BUT a modern Comp/Lunati/Howard’s etc...
would be much better.

I have t met a single person that followed these tips and been disappointed! Not one. They always perform a little better than they thought it would.
Enjoy the list!View attachment 1715135734 View attachment 1715135735 View attachment 1715135736
Thank you very much. I need to find that book

The new 2018 is actually 460hp. I’m
Not a Ford lover but a man better bring it with one of these old school 5.9’s to run with It.

The addition of an overdrive trans would be excellent for the cars flexibility and comfort. You could do a;
A-500
A-518
A “GM” OD trans
I know a shop the offers a Ford AOD to mate to a small block good for over 1,000 hp.

It’s only money. You can always make more.

This is the last year they put the tips in as far as I know. It is a 2000 catolog.
The 2001 doesn’t have them.
You can also find the tips in the engines book.

image.jpg
image.jpg

-
Back