LA 360 or Magnum 5.9

-
Easy to get 325 hp.
Define easy?
if you add 340 heads,intake,cam and carburetor it should fall short of the stock 340 275 hp with very lo compression and smaller displacement.

The new 2018 is actually 460hp. I’m
Not a Ford lover but a man better bring it with one of these old school 5.9’s to run with It.
And they also have a 5.2 @ 526 hp @ 429 lbs. of torque.
It is amazing what the current technology of computers can do for power!
For us old school guys, this maybe impossible for most guys to copy. To overcome, I suggest a simple bolt on. Supercharger with an upgraded ignition.

There was a magazine article with the (IIRC) the supercharger store that built a supercharged 318 that made more than 600hp.

And 318’s can’t perform????

REALLY????

Put this in a lighter car. Which should be a brainless action since the current crop of muscle cars are, well, let’s be honest, there fat and heavy by comparison.

If you still feel your car is fat, there is fiberglass......

Good GOD people! The basic hardware was born with the engine. It’s right there!

Easy to get 325 hp.
Define easy?
if you add 340 heads,intake,cam and carburetor it should fall short of the stock 340 275 hp with very lo compression and smaller displacement.

Easy as in falling off a log. If you can't do 325 with a 318 you have no reason to be building engines.

Not a Ford lover but a man better bring it with one of these old school 5.9’s to run with It.

I know, for a fact, that a bunch of those fords didn't make what ford advertised. In fact, I know, for a fact that one mustang owner was going to sue ford because the power was so far off from what they said.

Eventually ford sent out engineers and got the power up. But it want easy. So don't just assume they make what ford says. Or anyone says.

72 degrees in Vegas today...suppose to be this warm all week...so glad I am not stuck in the house on the keyboard...but actually doing something...

I know, for a fact, that a bunch of those fords didn't make what ford advertised. In fact, I know, for a fact that one mustang owner was going to sue ford because the power was so far off from what they said.

Eventually ford sent out engineers and got the power up. But it want easy. So don't just assume they make what ford says. Or anyone says.
I’m not going bet money on my 350hp 360 against their 460hp. I’d lose a pink slip to a Duster.

I am not really a Mustang lover either, but you gotta admit that dollar for dollar (forgetting brand preference) it's hard to beat the Mustang GT for a performance car.

It’s only money. You can always make more.
LMAO. I've tried that with the wife a few times.

I am not really a Mustang lover either, but you gotta admit that dollar for dollar (forgetting brand preference) it's hard to beat the Mustang GT for a performance car.
And as well with the Camaro and Challenger. Any new modern car is 2 steps above what we have upgraded. For craps sakes a decent driver in a mini van will out do many an old muscle car.
Get a real driver behind the wheel of a maxima and they’ll kick your *** in your muscle car. Stock vs. stock.

*Disclaimer!* The above excuse of “There always more money to be made” only works on stupid women. And since we know there rarely exist.........

I’m only saying, spend what you can. You can make more money for you, later.

The wife? That’s your ball of wax. I got mine and her money pit. At least her car looks good. I’m not so worried about what my crap looks like as long as it goes fast.

That’s my point. I don’t like Fords but I also give credit where it’s due.... technology. A V-6 Challenger isn’t terrible. I had one as a rental. I’d still feel better cruising a slower 360 Duster than a new car at cars and coffee or whatever.

Just build the 318 for drivability and nice manners, if it makes 300 hp it will be plenty of fun, put some 3:23s in the rear and enjoy.
Chasing new 5.0s on the street is just going to send you into a world of spending..., the 2018s Wangs are running 11’s on stock tires

Just build the 318 for drivability and nice manners, if it makes 300 hp it will be plenty of fun, put some 3:23s in the rear and enjoy.
Chasing new 5.0s on the street is just going to send you into a world of spending..., the 2018s Wangs are running 11’s on stock tires
I'm thinking that's what I'm gonna do, just throw some kb167 slugs in it, set of J heads, 4 barrel intake and carb, 270-280 cam, longtubes headers, Mopar orange box with built distributor running 34° total timing, 3.55 gears and go.

I'm thinking that's what I'm gonna do, just throw some kb167 slugs in it, set of J heads, 4 barrel intake and carb, 270-280 cam, longtubes headers, Mopar orange box with built distributor running 34° total timing, 3.55 gears and go.

That should put you in the mid 12's easily.

If you are like me you will always want more power. You'll get bored of that 300 horse 318 and wish you would have built a 400 horse magnum instead. My car came witH a hopped up 318 and I got bored and built the magnum

If you are like me you will always want more power. You'll get bored of that 300 horse 318 and wish you would have built a 400 horse magnum instead. My car came witH a hopped up 318 and I got bored and built the magnum
Well I don't drive it everyday so it will still seem quick when I do drive, but yes your correct. We always want more, faster, quicker

Yup! And then it was a stroker, then it was a big block, then it was a stroker big block, then it was a heavy dose of N02. Dang! Outta money for the next step. Took a break.

It only ends when you run outta money or time.

Yup! And then it was a stroker, then it was a big block, then it was a stroker big block, then it was a heavy dose of N02. Dang! Outta money for the next step. Took a break.

It only ends when you run outta money or time.

Well I don't see track time. Just cruising the streets.

At this point, build the engine you have, work out the little problems, tune it, and enjoy your summer. Follow the path of least resistance. You seem easy to please. The 360 vs 318 debate is so damn boring. However, if your experience is low with flat tappet cam break-ins, find a roller cam block.

You'll have to get that 318 out, disassemble, and see what you have to work with. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. Can't make any educated decisions until you know exactly what you have. Assuming it's completely shot, wore out, whatever(we all know what assumptions are), I agree totally with RAMM.

You'll have to get that 318 out, disassemble, and see what you have to work with. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. Can't make any educated decisions until you know exactly what you have. Assuming it's completely shot, wore out, whatever(we all know what assumptions are), I agree totally with RAMM.

Yeah it will have to be pulled to see what i working with. I know cam bearings are wore out. It holds maybe 10 psi oil at idle. It has seal leaks and I need to either replace or rebuild gear box while motor is out.

I bet you're just about frazzled right now.
... a 275 hp 318 built for the street with a short duration cam that will
pull from 800 - 4800 rpm ( .204 / .214) 3.23:1 gear, 2400 stall converter
and 14"wheels x 26" tires will make a quick, economical package!

I bet you're just about frazzled right now.
... a 275 hp 318 built for the street with a short duration cam that will
pull from 800 - 4800 rpm ( .204 / .214) 3.23:1 gear, 2400 stall converter
and 14"wheels x 26" tires will make a quick, economical package!

Well you know it's all a hp game and we all want the best of the best. Most are just dreams unless you make six figures or don't have a wife and kids. I want power to, but I'm limited on money because I got a family and budget.

-
Back