My 67 Formula S Resto. thread

-
I have all week off work this week and hope to get alot done, but I work slow...LOL I have been working on the Formula the last 3 days pretty much all day.
Sun and Mon I worked and relocating the springs.I moved the shackle mounts to the frame.I used metal tube and mounted them 1/2 inch back further than the original mounts.This will allow the wheel to be centered up.I had to take 1 1/4 inch out of the frame where the original shackel mount was bolted to.I had to do this for clearance in order to move my new tube mount 1/2 inch back.I then welded it back up and welded up the 4 holes where the original mount was.
Today I sandblasted the frame inside and out.Going to paint inside the rear frame real good before I put in the new trunk pan.I should have the new pan welded in by tomarrow afternoon.

Jim

Attachments

• Formula S rear frame 002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Formula S rear frame 003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Formula S rear frame 004.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • Formula S rear frame 005.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Formula S rear frame 006.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Formula S rear frame 007.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,251
a few more..

Attachments

• Formula S rear frame 012.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Formula S rear frame 011.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,240
  • Formula S rear frame 010.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,229
  • Formula S rear frame 009.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Formula S rear frame 008.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,231
Out of order a bit but a few more....

Attachments

• formula s spring 009.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • formula s spring 008.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,158
  • formula s spring 007.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,191
  • formula s spring 006.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,188
  • formula s spring 005.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,148
  • formula s spring 004.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,252
I primered and painted inside the frame.Now I need to test fit my trunk pan and then mark it to drill holes for the spot welds.Then spray alittle weld through primer and the pan will be ready to weld in.

Jim

Attachments

• S frame 017.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • S frame 016.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,193
  • S frame 015.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,183
  • S frame 014.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,180
  • S frame 013.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,212
I am starting to feel like I am getting something done!!!I got the trunk pan welded in today!I test fit the trunk pan one more time and this was about 4 or 5 time.I then marked the bottom side so I knew where to drill holes.I then drilled 118 holes for all my spot welds.I scuffed all my holes and then I sprayed all surfaces that needed welded with weld through primer.Then I sanded down the bottom side of the pan and painted the back side of the tire well.Then put back in and welded it up....
Next I guess is to grind a bunch of spot welds.And the weld the rear valance on.My Uncle may come over tomarrow if so I think we are going to start stripping and priming the doors.
I work slow and this is my first real attempt a major body work.I am just doing the best that I can and I am real picky.So any advice you Guys can offer I am all ears.

Thanks,Jim

Attachments

• S trunk pan 011.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,195
  • S trunk pan 010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,145
  • S trunk pan 009.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,142
  • S trunk pan 002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,155
  • S trunk pan 008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,158
  • S trunk pan 007.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,146
  • S trunk pan 006.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,138
  • S trunk pan 005.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,154
Hello Jim
Still watching your progress I was wondering if you got to fitting the duster trunk extensions, I bought a set this weekend and cant see how they would fit
Thanks Andy

I got the valance test fitted.It fits pretty good and the four holes for the bumper bolts to go through are dead on where they should be,compared to my old valance.I also cut out the exhaust tip hole and welded it in.My car never had a place in the valance for exhaust.Also with moving the springs in I do not know where the exhuast will end up coming out.The notches in the trunk pan for the bumpers bolts line up on the passenger side but not the drivers side.So I cut the notches out and welded in metal and made notches in the correct place.
I just got started on the trunk extensions.I will post pics once I have one trunk extension fitted.I will take pics before I weld it into place.Looks like the rear of the extension is going to take alot of work and maybe some luck to get it to fit real nice.Why they dont make trunk extensions and lower quarters for these cars is beyond me.
I NEED LOWER REAR QUARTERS IF ANYONE CAN HELP!!!!

Jim

Attachments

• S valance 039.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,131
  • S valance 038.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • S valance 037.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • S valance 040.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,153
Jim I was at Carlise this weekend. There wasnt anyone ther selling quarter skins for a 67. One guy selling sheet metal, AMD dealer. He had a pass quarterskins not made by AMD for both a 68 and a 69. tiawan stuff.
Andy

AMD is also Tiawan made.An AMD dealer told me a few years back AMD was American made.He lied everything I have see that is AMD is made in Tiawan.On the other had AMD is the best repo metal I have seen.

Jim

Hey Jim
Found this website and called the number, asked the guy if he had 67 barracuda quarter skins. He checked his vender they were in stock I ordered a pair and noticed on the site they have quarter patches. Thier name is Classic 2 Current. the part number for the patch is 250-36L. . the phone is 313 534 2886
http://c2cfabrication.com/
Andy

Thanks Andy but that patch is for the lower front fender.I need the lower rear quarter patch.

Sorry Jim
I thought I was on to something. The cost for their quarter skin was the cheapest I have seen. I will see if the quality matches the price. Just curious could I see a pic of your welder? I was also wondering, when you moved the shackle mount to the frame did you move the front of the spring also? I like the idea of bigger tires.
Thanks Andy

i ll bet they are all the same quality BUT, if you do buy one, please tell what you think about it. (I need to buy a couple of skins too and the price is right even if you jus use em for patches)

Been following this thread and am amazed by your attention to detail and fabrication skills. Great job!

Grant

This thread sure has openned my eyes on a few things
Thank you for keeping a good record of pictures for reference :thumleft:
Things are moving forward and it's great to hear the family is in there with you Jim :happy2:
Looking very nice sir.

I have been on my own so far MeMike hopefully I can get my Uncle to come over and help soon.I have the next 2 weeks off of work so I will have time to work on it but I am about out of money for now.LOL

Jim

The AMD Duster trunk extensions are NO where close.I do not know if I am going to be able to make them work.They are too long and too wide!

I have not got much done this week so far.To hot and humid for me yesterday.I messed with the trunk extension one day for about 3 hours.And I have the top section test fitted.I still have alot more work to the extensions to make them work.
I have the rear valance ready to weld on,and I am going to weld it tonight.

Jim

Attachments

• Formula #7 101.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Formula #7 100.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 997
  • Formula #7 099.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Formula #7 096.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Formula #7 095.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 964
  • Formula #7 094.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 949
  • Formula #7 093.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 974
  • Formula #7 092.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 994
  • Formula #7 102.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,026
Lookin good Jim. You have some real skills.
Its been too hot for me too. Got my quarterskins yesterday. They came from a company named Sherman. I guess they are the importers. They look pretty good. They seem fairly thick. It was a smooth transaction.
Andy

You are doing an awsome job.:tongue9: I'm just wondering what type of work you do to get a few weeks off?:???:

The place I work for makes things for Cat tractors.Cat shuts down 2 weeks in July and we also shut down.I also have 5 weeks of vacation besides that.

Jim

-
Back