My 67 Formula S Resto. thread

-
I took a break and worked on the car only a few hours yesterday and a few hours today.I got the rear valance and the outer wheel housing welded on.I went ahead and removed the upper cowl to give it a real good coat of paint.Under the cowl was pretty clean for the most part,but there was some surface rust at the corners.The cowl has seam sealer under the seam.Should I use a sealer under there again?

Jim

Attachments

• Formula #8 001.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Formula #8 022.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 999
  • Formula #8 017.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Formula #8 015.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Formula #8 014.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Formula #8 012.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Formula #8 010.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Formula #8 004.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Formula #8 003.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Formula #8 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,013
Hey Jim
Taking off the cowl is a good idea, there was no paint at all under there?
I think I would put the sealer back in there. Cant wait to see what you do next!
Would still like to see a pic of your welder. Its funny, I keep looking in the background of your photos. Ive seen your sand blaster,vacuum,air compressor.Lol
Andy

Here is what I am using for a welder.I am stipping the engine compartment and going to prime it.I sandblasted part of it but my blaster kept getting clogged up for some reason so I am stripping the rest of it by hand.Anyone have any ideas why my blaster keeps getting clogged?

Jim

Attachments

• Formula #9 001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 988
  • Formula #9 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 979
  • Formula #9 003.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 996
Thanks for the pic,Is that a 110 or 220 Im curious cause I am getting ready to start on mine and was wondering if I could do subframe connectors with a lincoln 100
As far as your sandblaster goes, its humidity that clogs it up. check out entry #13 on this link very interesting. Well gotta get back to the laminate flooring
Andy
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=149637

Thanks for the pic,Is that a 110 or 220 Im curious cause I am getting ready to start on mine and was wondering if I could do subframe connectors with a lincoln 100
As far as your sandblaster goes, its humidity that clogs it up. check out entry #13 on this link very interesting. Well gotta get back to the laminate flooring
Andy
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=149637

x2 on the moisture causing the clogging of the sand. It is probably not from the humidity in the air, but rather moisture from your compressor. Do you have a hose connected directly from the tank? If so, the water vapor in the air does not have a chance to condence out of the air until it gets to the outlet. L8r

Jim

Very nice work!! This thread has already answered a few questions. I will be doing much of the same to my 68. I'm hoping that AMD will have the trunk extensions done before I get that far, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the detailed pics

Steve
68 Vert
Charleston SC

I don't know why I haven't seen your thread but I a very impressed with what you're doing. Great job ... rust begone. lol

Andy I have not touched the car in the last few weeks.I have been working alot of overtime at work lately.I did go to the Mopar Nats and pick up a decent trunk lid from FABO member SSCuda.I need to get back at it again..

Jim

I hope to prime the engine compartment tomarrow.I have not been able to get my Uncle to help like he promised.I have not sprayed primer in about 7-8 years.I bought a new set of Devilbiss guns.I will post more pics soon.

Man wish I would have never sold that car. I had to have someone drag it out of the desert for me because it was going to fall thru the floors of the trailer it was on. Looks like it got a good home :) I did find the original fan shroud in my garage a while back. So I guess a piece of it will always be with me. My original plan for the car was to put a hemi in it. I had a Hemi, a Hemi k-member made for it, Found a 67 BB rad the whole works. Then divorce kicked in lol!

Hey Jim, I'm originally from Pana, south of Decatur. When I was 19 I tried to get on at the Decatur CAT plant as a welder but they told me I didn't have enough experience :(
Kinda funny cuz now i fabricate and weld the WOLF Robotics systems that are being put in them plants!! :)
Don't know how long you've worked there or what you do there but did you know a Chris Donnelly?? He used to be a welder at the Peoria plant. If so, I'd say it's definitely a small world!!
Watching the build too, great job!! I wish I had a garage to do mine in. One day.

Hey Jim good to hear your back at it. Sorry to hear about your uncle, but Im sure with your talent the primer will turn out fine. I bought the starting line guns from eastwood. still havent used them yet. I havnt done anything on my car lately. Just to hot.

Andy

Well 31 I was thinking when I get the body done I could sell my 71 Road Runner, and put a Hemi in it.So the Hemi idea has crossed my mind.

I dunno I'm kinda glad I didn't drop a Hemi in it. It being a real "S" I'd probably not mess with it too much. Especially it being the rare buffed silver paint. I actually bought another 67 "S" last year and am doing a resto as well. Its Monotone yellow which i'm not a big fan of but it's going back to original. I think it's a 68 yellow now which is way too bright for me. it's in the paint shop now. This one also had the rear driverside quarter replaced and is a California car as well

Attachments

• DSCN0948.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 817
  • DSCN0949.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCN0946.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 854
  • DSCN0945.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 840
  • DSCN0944.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 860
Clean metal....:blob:

Attachments

• Formula S#7 081.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 845
  • Formula S#7 079.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 858
  • Formula S#7 078.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 809
  • Formula S#7 077.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 773
  • Formula S#7 076.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 819
  • Formula S#7 074.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 813
It now has primer thanks to my Uncle.I just about gave up on him and was going to prime it myself............:prayer:

Attachments

• Formula S#7 091.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 769
  • Formula S#7 090.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 831
  • Formula S#7 089.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 858
  • Formula S#7 088.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 838
  • Formula S#7 087.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 855
  • Formula S#7 086.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 860
  • Formula S#7 085.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 850
Wow that is clean metal. And you even took off the cowl? now that is detailed. You my friend are doing an awsome job, and thanks for sharing

That engine compartment looks beautimus :cheers:. almost too nice to cover with paint, huh. Did you pull that off with just a wire wheel? Nice job, my friend!! L8r

Jim

I intended to blast the whole engine compartment.But my blaster kept clogging up.I blasted the cowl,firewall,and battery area.I then went over the whole thing using a small airgrinder using scotch brite disc.

I have not worked on the car in a few weeks.I have been busy at work and with Monster Mopar.But this weekend I have off so I am working on the Formula alittle.I am replacing the passenger front floor pan.It had some small holes,pitting and surface rust.This is more than I needed to replace but I got rid of all the rust including the surface rust.I am going to butt weld it and skim coat the weld seams,so you will neve be able to tell that area has been replaced,Hopefully LOL.Found another mouse nest,this one is in the torsion bar frame rail.

Jim

Attachments

• formula #9 001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 720
  • formula #9 002.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 715
  • formula #9 003.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 748
-
Back