My 67 Formula S Resto. thread

-
I got a B pillar from Redfish.It had a crack around the striker post and I welded it up.After I got done welding I just didn't like the pitting that was in that area.So I cut out a 3x3 square and welded in new metal.Then drilled the hole for the striker post.I then welded in a piece of metal behind the post area to reinforce it.Then I screwed in the b pillar,hung the door,and hung the rear quarter back on to make sure everything fits before I weld it up.It all fits nice.The door gap is nice,the door fits up to the quarter and rocker nice also.I am also replacing the last 11 inches of the rocker where it meets the quarter panel.They all seem to bubble and rust there.I took two pieces of old rocker to make the rocker patch.Hope to have it all welded up tomorrow.

Jim

Attachments

• Formula S#14 001.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Formula S#14 002.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 997
  • Formula S#14 004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Formula S#14 007.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,032
The rocker patch...

Attachments

• Formula S#14 017.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Formula S#14 016.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Formula S#14 015.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 964
  • Formula S#14 014.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 959
  • Formula S#14 012.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 995
  • Formula S#14 011.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 994
  • Formula S#14 005.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 997
I got the rocker patch and the B pillar welded in.Next on the list is to prime the drivers side door jamb,rocker,firewall corner,and backside of the inner fender.

Jim

Attachments

• Formula S#14 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 980
  • Formula S#14 004.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 953
  • Formula S#14 005.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 967
Here is what I finshed up today.Now I need to do the same with the other side...
Jim

Attachments

• FormulaS#16 015.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 922
  • FormulaS#16 021.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 935
  • FormulaS#16 010.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 906
  • FormulaS#16 004.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 930
  • FormulaS#16 003.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 909
Love the way this car is shaping up. This is a good example of how to do a world class body restoration.

Sort of sux that you had to put so much work into that B-pi;;ar but I gotts tell ya..The result look great ! If The opertunity presents itself I'll discount the next part or service deal we make. Happy moparing

Jim, this is the thread I show Creed my son
on how I need him to do my rear lower 1/4ers
I sure am enjoying watching this thread :coffee2: I say Job well dun sir 8)

I have all week off work this week and hope to get alot done, but I work slow...LOL I have been working on the Formula the last 3 days pretty much all day.
Sun and Mon I worked and relocating the springs.I moved the shackle mounts to the frame.I used metal tube and mounted them 1/2 inch back further than the original mounts.This will allow the wheel to be centered up.I had to take 1 1/4 inch out of the frame where the original shackel mount was bolted to.I had to do this for clearance in order to move my new tube mount 1/2 inch back.I then welded it back up and welded up the 4 holes where the original mount was.
Today I sandblasted the frame inside and out.Going to paint inside the rear frame real good before I put in the new trunk pan.I should have the new pan welded in by tomarrow afternoon.

Jim
Hola Jim: what kind of material you are using in your sand blaster? Iron balls? Could you give me the features of the machine? Congratulations, you're an excellent worker

I am working on the passenger side.Hope to prime the rocker,door jamb,back side of the inner fender,and front of the radiator support by Sat.I will post more pics soon.

jim

Here is what I have done in the last week.Next is to strip and prime the bottom of the roof.back side of the firewall,and floor pan.

Jim

Attachments

• Formula S #18 029.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 754
  • Formula S #18 028.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 775
  • Formula S #18 025.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 728
  • Formula S #18 021.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 747
  • Formula S #18 022.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 763
  • Formula S #18 023.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 735
  • Formula S #18 024.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 752
  • Formula S #18 030.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 785
After reading so many posts stating the front hangers were altered 1 inch to center a 17 inch or larger wheel, I have to question the 1/2 stated in the thread.
I understand the design of the rear hangers. They allow the spring length to change when their arc changes. Since all of that movement is at one end of the spring, the center of the axle will have to move forward and back as the spring arc changes too.
That's where the slip yoke to the trans come into play. Anyway... what's correct ? Not Dart, not Duster but 67 to 69 Barracuda specificly.

"Thou shalt not covenant thy neighbors backbone" would be way down a list of commandments, along with "thy neoghbors skills".
I would give both left and right though LOL

Just centering the rear end to help with tire clearance. If I remember right there is 7 inches from the front of the tire to the quarter and 8 inches from the rear of the tire to the quarter.So I moved it 1/2 inch so now both points are 7 1/2 inches.No 17's going on this car while I am alive just real big 15's.

Jim

After reading so many posts stating the front hangers were altered 1 inch to center a 17 inch or larger wheel, I have to question the 1/2 stated in the thread.
I understand the design of the rear hangers. They allow the spring length to change when their arc changes. Since all of that movement is at one end of the spring, the center of the axle will have to move forward and back as the spring arc changes too.
That's where the slip yoke to the trans come into play. Anyway... what's correct ? Not Dart, not Duster but 67 to 69 Barracuda specificly.

"Thou shalt not covenant thy neighbors backbone" would be way down a list of commandments, along with "thy neoghbors skills".
I would give both left and right though LOL

That's why I didn't center my tire (275/60/15) by shimming the hanger backward. I was to chicken. I have around a half inch from the tire to the front of the quarter fender. Now if I could move the axle back 1" it would locate the tire perfectly centered in the quarter fender.

I have had the car 1 year today.I was hoping to have the whole car in primer by now.Well now I hope to have the whole shell in primer by spring,and the rest of the car in primer by mid summer.In paint by Oct 2012 is my goal......Its alot of work and I work slow.LOL

Jim

-
Back