Philly cheesesteak anyone

-
ive had subs, grinders, hero's from baltimore on up to maine and mostly up north there great!! its something the south just cant get right! the bread gotta be freash and makes the sandwich dont matter if its a philly cheese steak or what kind! the lil deli's up north were getting harder to find last few times i went up north but thay are a treasure when you do!! like to have a philly and a meatball from dino's in atlantic city right now!!! or from any number of deli's on long island!! always look for the boreshead perversions sign in the window!!

You can get cheese wiz at Geno's in Philly, his specialty steak sammie
and Jim's on South Street.
Not my thing but I'm not from here and it shows. LOL.
But when people visit and want a cheese steak, gotta know the places to take 'em.

A Facebook friend of mine had a Philly cheese place in pittsburgh. He recently moved to the Philly area so he’s been busy. I’ll bet he goes out at least three times a week and it sounds like he’s found some good ones.

Genoa and Pats :rofl:
That's where the Tourists, and Drunks go. The best ones come from Johns Roast Pork in South Philly.
Funny how a place that's Famous for their Roast Pork has won best in Philly for Cheese steaks multiple times.
.:thumbsup:

Growing up on the Jersey side of Philly I learned to appreciate a good hoagie and cheese steak sammich. The secret is in the bread. Since we moved to Kansas City 50 years ago, I have spent my time trying to find a suitable sandwich shop. Nothing compares to walking into a deli/sub shop and smelling the smells while waiting for your sandwich to be made.

I made my own last Sunday to celebrate the Chiefs and Eagles playing in the Super Bowl.
H3QmARStATDFECs3GQIKsaTxg=w1236-h928-no?authuser=0.jpg

The bread is the first item that needs to be great. Florida has nothing. Zero. Bland. Even when it’s their best, it’s not good.

The second thing about Florid, they just cut the meats and cheese but…. Get this, they just take huge hunks of the sliced items and slap it on the bread, which equals the same idea of a single slice cut of the meat or cheese. You just don’t slap it on the bread and call it good.

Multi fold the meat and over lap. Thin sliced, not slabs, lightly over lap the cheese, not 6-7 slices stacked like a deck of cards.
Oddly enough, the best sandwiches/hero/hoagie is from a super market not seen up north called Publix. Best bread too. Boarshead cuts is what they use.

The bread is the first item that needs to be great. Florida has nothing. Zero. Bland. Even when it’s their best, it’s not good.

The second thing about Florid, they just cut the meats and cheese but…. Get this, they just take huge hunks of the sliced items and slap it on the bread, which equals the same idea of a single slice cut of the meat or cheese. You just don’t slap it on the bread and call it good.

Multi fold the meat and over lap. Thin sliced, not slabs, lightly over lap the cheese, not 6-7 slices stacked like a deck of cards.
Oddly enough, the best sandwiches/hero/hoagie is from a super market not seen up north called Publix. Best bread too. Boarshead cuts is what they use.

As exited as you guys get for these things they better be damned good. And by damned good I need to fly to Philly just to try one.

Are they THAT good???

The bread! When I went to my cousin's in Philly, we'd raid the bread cooling racks set up in the alley at the back door of the bakery. didn't need any butter. lol
I wonder if they still wheel it out to the alley like they did in the early 70's.
Out west they don't know what a good steak sandwich or pizza is. lol
I remember very well the difference.

As exited as you guys get for these things they better be damned good. And by damned good I need to fly to Philly just to try one.

Are they THAT good???
There are a few selected food items here I just won’t and don’t eat here in Florida anymore due to the poor quality, or, spice level, it’s ether lacking or completely wrong combo, or the taste is so far off it’s super sad.

Pizza- I have found 3 places that do a good job. The best “Manhattan” pizza I had blew my mind like I never left the Big Apple. Why? LOL @ this one, the Pizza shop is called “The NY pizza spot.” I worked mid town Manhattan for years and swore I had this before as I’m eating it. Turns out it was the same guy I went to when I worked the very pizza shop I would eat lunch at in mid town Manhattan. There are two other shops and one is a fella from Queens NY. The last is a small franchise. Their sign says “Our recipes, probably imported from New York.”

It’s not just the water quality ether.

Chinese- the best one I found around here would probably, probably survive in NY. Every other one is a super fail and I wouldn’t feed it to my dog. Garbage, complete garbage.
Not that I ever eat dog food but I’ll take it over these Chinese places.

Bagels - I give them credit for trying. They’re best shops. Well… They would not be able to stay in biz in NY. Just would not happen.

There’s a few others, but yeah, the two above (not the 2-3 pizza shops, but most of the other pizza shop) I just won’t eat. I’ll wait until I go up to New York to eat it. There just not worth even thinking about.

Florida often kills it on the yummy level on a lot of there steak houses and seafood items. I’d have to go to NY,s absolute best places to match what they do here even at local dive bars.

Dad would stop by his local watering hole after work and pickup styrofoam tubs of beer and birch beer before picking up steak sandwiches and hoagies.
It seems like it was every friday night. Saturday was pizza.

Yep, I was born and raised in South Jersey. That's the one thing I miss is the food. The restaurants in Florida just don't cut it once you've had really good food. Especially since you can go into a Dinner and get anything you want and it's topnotch. I very rarely go out to eat down here. But, I sure do splurge when I go back home.

A true Dinner, hard to find here. I’ve been to a few and they were good.

Now getting my order right….. not a one that I went to gets the order or cooks it correct.

Kaiser roll! Oh, what I would do for Kaiser rolls!
LMAO!

There are a few selected food items here I just won’t and don’t eat here in Florida anymore due to the poor quality, or, spice level, it’s ether lacking or completely wrong combo, or the taste is so far off it’s super sad.

Pizza- I have found 3 places that do a good job. The best “Manhattan” pizza I had blew my mind like I never left the Big Apple. Why? LOL @ this one, the Pizza shop is called “The NY pizza spot.” I worked mid town Manhattan for years and swore I had this before as I’m eating it. Turns out it was the same guy I went to when I worked the very pizza shop I would eat lunch at in mid town Manhattan. There are two other shops and one is a fella from Queens NY. The last is a small franchise. Their sign says “Our recipes, probably imported from New York.”

It’s not just the water quality ether.

Chinese- the best one I found around here would probably, probably survive in NY. Every other one is a super fail and I wouldn’t feed it to my dog. Garbage, complete garbage.
Not that I ever eat dog food but I’ll take it over these Chinese places.

Bagels - I give them credit for trying. They’re best shops. Well… They would not be able to stay in biz in NY. Just would not happen.

There’s a few others, but yeah, the two above (not the 2-3 pizza shops, but most of the other pizza shop) I just won’t eat. I’ll wait until I go up to New York to eat it. There just not worth even thinking about.

Florida often kills it on the yummy level on a lot of there steak houses and seafood items. I’d have to go to NY,s absolute best places to match what they do here even at local dive bars.
the only thing i miss bout running up north east is the deli's and italian restaurants and chinese food nyc has the best authentic food period less ya talking southern food mexican food or BBQ!! was a italian dinner g'pa and dad use to park there trucks at and ate all there mills at when in nyc it was run by old man and his wife from italy, g'pa was friend with them,..half time thayd tell g'pa to get in kitchen and cook his own lol, when thay retired and moved back to italy thay tried to give the place to g'pa but wont no way my g'ma coulda handled living in nyc!!

Last edited:
WOW! That’s cool.

Actual living in Manhattan is a tough thing in my eyes. Too much concrete. It really can be a concrete canyon. I had a good time working there. It was the crew I was with that makes it. Also the gang foreman. Without a good foreman, it stinks.

I learned a little about the island while I was working there, just a small area. I was in Midtown, west side on the river, sandwiched between Chelsea & Hells Kitchen, just a block south of the Jacob Javits Center. When a high school friend of mine became a police officer on Manhattan, he got to know the southern side really well. China town, little Italy, etc… Immigrants would often stay and raise families for generations there. Authentic is precisely what it is.

Today, little Italy in down to a few square block. China town has grown into Little Italy and taken most of it over.

We had Roma bakery here in Kansas City for years. They were a little Italian bakery in the North East side of town. Had everything from canolis to good crusty hoagie rolls. They were in all the supermarkets or you could go down to the bakery and buy it fresh. Over the years they've gotten smaller and smaller. I guess people are just too white bread anymore.

-
Back