Show Your Big Block A body!

-
my sleeper, 431, 727, dana 60. full street trim, 11.81@112. 10 years of owning it, the sleeper theme got kind of old, should have paint by the end of august.
Scan10030-1.jpg

And he drove it from NY to CT 8)

Seeing where he started and ended, that one tuff terain to transverse. I don't like any of the roads inbetween. Not one bit!

Here`s my 68 Formula-S Barracuda that started life as a genuine H-code 383 4spd. car. When I bought it I found that someone had already replaced the original engine with a 67 383. I rebuilt it to stock first ,then a 383 stroker at 439c.i., now a 440-6 stroker with 496 c.i. and I replaced the 4 spd. with a Tremec 5spd.. I run it on the street exclusively, it`s a fun car to drive.

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_4406 (Medium).jpg

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_4407 (Medium).jpg

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_509.jpg

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_2401.jpg

If any A body needed the fender braces I would think big block cars with fenderwell headers would be them!!??

l_bd3c37347fe77aadd34e574c70e7cf63.jpg

70 DUSTER, 426 HEMI, 4 speed, Dana w/ 410

I see that there are some Big Block A-Bodies coming out of the weeds in Florida. Are you guys planning on going to Big Daddy's in November?
I'll be at Big Daddy's with my Duster. I'll be parked in the Pro Street/Comp/Street Rod class.

Hey Longgone: How do you like that Tremec? Did you use a kit? Has it handled much abuse?

Nice cars, all.

Hey Longgone: How do you like that Tremec? Did you use a kit? Has it handled much abuse?

Nice cars, all.

Can`t say enough about it! Absolutely the best modification I`ve made to the car. I bought the kit from Keisler and used my bellhousing and a hydraulic clutch. With over 600 hp and nearly as much torque ,I have hammered it pretty hard and I haven`t exploded anything yet. I don`t know if it would hold up to drag racing constantly but for me and my purpose it`s just great.

Thanks Longgone. I used to have a 69 440 6pk Dart. I'm now building a 74 Dart Sport small block stroker. I think the OD would be great. Your use sounds like the way I plan to use mine; a little track, some cruising.
However, this new section is making me think about another big block.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack!

ALL OF THESE CARS ARE AMAZING. THIS IS THE FIRST BIG BLOCK I HAVE EVER OWNED.

472 stroker (440)
525 HP, 625 Tqe
Dana 60 4:10's
4 Speed

When I bought it

DCP_3798.jpg

1969DodgeDartGTS440CollectorCarS-1.jpg

69DodgeDart440GTS139.jpg

After some changes to make it look original (Red lines, dogdish hubcaps, etc

Roadknights2007004.jpg

Roadknights2007002.jpg

At Carlisle this year with my oldest son and both cars

Carlisle2008091-1-1.jpg

Carlisle2008062.jpg

Carlisle2008064.jpg

Carlisle2008088.jpg

Carshows7July16and17052.jpg

THE BIG BLOCK

DCP_3780.jpg

DCP_3779.jpg

dcp3780uv8.jpg

Haven't had this much fun since I jumped out of planes in '69

Here`s my 68 Formula-S Barracuda that started life as a genuine H-code 383 4spd. car. When I bought it I found that someone had already replaced the original engine with a 67 383. I rebuilt it to stock first ,then a 383 stroker at 439c.i., now a 440-6 stroker with 496 c.i. and I replaced the 4 spd. with a Tremec 5spd.. I run it on the street exclusively, it`s a fun car to drive.

Where did you get the 5 spd from, and how much, and does it use the same Bell housing, and does the shifter mount in the same area as the 4 spd?

Thanks

Phil

Where did you get the 5 spd from, and how much, and does it use the same Bell housing, and does the shifter mount in the same area as the 4 spd?

Thanks

Phil

Hello Phil, I`ve seen where Summit is selling the transmissions now but I bought the transmission as a kit from Keisler Engineering. I used my Lakewood bellhousing and Keisler provided the machining, driveshaft, clutch, and moral support. You have to do a little bit of cutting to the tunnel but the shifter mounts about 3 inches back and over to the center from the stock location. A small piece of steel welded to my shifter put it right back in place and I was able to keep my console. I recommend it to anybody considering a change in transmission. - John

Hello Phil, I`ve seen where Summit is selling the transmissions now but I bought the transmission as a kit from Keisler Engineering. I used my Lakewood bellhousing and Keisler provided the machining, driveshaft, clutch, and moral support. You have to do a little bit of cutting to the tunnel but the shifter mounts about 3 inches back and over to the center from the stock location. A small piece of steel welded to my shifter put it right back in place and I was able to keep my console. I recommend it to anybody considering a change in transmission. - John

I just finished reading the other posts you had about the tranny. something to think about. will it work woth a stck bell? and what did it set you back...if you don't mind me asking.

Phil

Yes, you can use a stock bellhousing but the opening and the bolt pattern will both have to be machined to work. I believe with the hydraulic clutch it totalled about $3500.00. The transmission alone is around 2k and I just wanted a kit that had everything in it and ready to go, so I went with Keislers set up.

do you think the tremec shifter location will clear a bench seat?

do you think the tremec shifter location will clear a bench seat?

I really don`t know, I`ve never seen one in a car with a bench seat. The Tremec shifter ends up just behind the rear crossmember and near the center of the tunnel. Here`s what comes out.

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_1052 (Medium).jpg

-
Back