Spectra or quanta??? Help!!

-

66cuda

2011Armada K of C 1st PL
Reaction score
Both are FUEL sending units.... the one selling spectra says MINE is BEST....the ONE selling QUANTA says MINE is best. they are both areound the same money....BUT neither can tell me which one is a non linear variable ground and what the specific OHM ranges are??? seems kinda weird that the vendors have no idea what this basic info is...but they do not. I have learned from Autometer than quite a few of the aftermarket sending units make their gauges go crazy....and I have ONE!!! 7 out of 9 people that I trust have told me offload the ebay sender and get a decent one..... here is where we hit the wall

WHICH ONE IS DECENT and which one will work with the AM gauge?

I only want to pull that tank ONE TIME...anyone have direct experience with either sending unit and AM gauges?

AMAzing news....Quanta is a "DISTRIBUTOR" - SPECTRA is the manufacturer, SPECTRA PARTS are available at AUTOZONE for cheaper than QUANTA & cheaper than MANCINI.... they are one & the same....
thanks for the overwhelming flood of assistance on the call for help!!
Saved me oodles of research & phone call time

I just put a Spectra sender in my '67 Barracuda, connected to the factory gas gauge. The gauge remains pegged over full through the first 4 gallons, then drops somewhat linearly through the next 6 gallons 'til it reads 1/8 full. At that point, there are still 8 gallons of fuel in the (18 gallon capacity) tank.

The sender's approximate ohm range is 10 ohms at full, 80 at empty.

BTW, I would have responded sooner, but you did say you got all the help you needed. Then I decided to tell my story anyway.

AMAzing news....Quanta is a "DISTRIBUTOR" - SPECTRA is the manufacturer, SPECTRA PARTS are available at AUTOZONE for cheaper than QUANTA & cheaper than MANCINI.... they are one & the same....
thanks for the overwhelming flood of assistance on the call for help!!
Saved me oodles of research & phone call time

C'mon, if you ask a question at midnight on a Saturday, it might take more than a day for someone who can answer your particular question about gas tanks to see it and respond, don't you think?

I got a Spectra tank from Vans but it's been awhile, sorry, I don't remember any info I thought would be useful.

C'mon, if you ask a question at midnight on a Saturday, it might take more than a day for someone who can answer your particular question about gas tanks to see it and respond, don't you think?

I got a Spectra tank from Vans but it's been awhile, sorry, I don't remember any info I thought would be useful.

errrr ahhh NOT tanks....SENDING UNITS,
and it was 2 days and some 15 people viewed it...I am thinkin plenty of time

Sometimes you just gotta do the hard work yourself. It's a *****, I know, but once you get used to it it kinda grows on you.

I just put a Spectra sender in my '67 Barracuda, connected to the factory gas gauge. The gauge remains pegged over full through the first 4 gallons, then drops somewhat linearly through the next 6 gallons 'til it reads 1/8 full. At that point, there are still 8 gallons of fuel in the (18 gallon capacity) tank.

The sender's approximate ohm range is 10 ohms at full, 80 at empty.

BTW, I would have responded sooner, but you did say you got all the help you needed. Then I decided to tell my story anyway.

NEVER SAID I GOT ALL THE HELP I NEEDED....I was ASKING FOR HELP...

Stock range is 10 73 NON LINEAR config....the repop sending units are LINEAR ....causing the stock gauge to act stupid. That is all I heard RE: stock gauges & repop sending units
I don't have stock gauges so I did no research on that...just relating ancillary info discovered during my investigations about MY problem.

AFTER MARKET gauges are set up for NON LINEAR...RE POP fuel sending units are often made in CHINA...the manufacturers never considered the non linear variable resistance ground. SO they made them all linear...meaning that once installed they will register full & empty just peachy ANYTHING in between is FUBAR!! and if the tank has any sloshing around ( as they all do) your gauge will be completely crazy JUST LIKE MINE IS!!!

Autometer has a right now solution available on SOME gauge models...( meaning YOU buy another gauge.) AM is also considering the idea of making a linear based gauge to also address the issue.

A BODY Joe gave me the solution, I just wanted AM to admit they and their selling dealer screwed UP!!! THEY KNOW this is an issue!!! They have an adjustable gauge that can be programmed to somewhat solve the issue....it is not really exact but it gets you close and if you get close on the high side ( meaning you still have some gas when it reads empty,) you should be ok.

The ***** of it is...these gauges are not CHEAP by any stretch of the imagination AND pulling out your entire IP to swap out a gauge and leaving it out to program said gauge is not at all a fun prospect.

For sending people down the completely incorrect path, I feel the dealer should eat the cost of the gauge that WORKS with aftermarket sending units since it is a well known fact the stock units are no longer available and the aftermarket ones dont work with that gauge, why sell a gauge that ONLY works with a stock sending unit when you already KNOW the sender isnt stock and the gauge will never work with the NON stock sender!!
\
To me that is a plain and simple rip off, because they KNOW as they are selling you the first gauge that you will NEED to buy a second gauge to have it work properly!!!! Assclowns!!

The three tech guys at AM were very helpful over the 4 hours spent talking with them about "what happened and what to do".... apparently several TNL's were sent out to the dealers to let them KNOW NOT to sell the non programmable gauge to use with an aftermarket sending unit...but WHO reads those silly technical news letters?!?!?!? The guys that sell the gauges certainly do not!!! can't imagine WHY?...why sell you the correct gauge when they can make a second sale by selling the incorrect one first Knowing that you cannot return anything electrical and MUST buy another gauge!!!

Mancini's is going to get an earful from me!!! That gauge was about $75...and so is the new one...bringing my fuel gauge expense to $140 and that does not guarantee that it will work...I may have to replace the sending unit as well!!! I am pretty far from OK on this

Sometimes you just gotta do the hard work yourself. It's a *****, I know, but once you get used to it it kinda grows on you.

YA I know ...re-inventing the WHEEL is always a challenge....especially when it has been done HERE more then once.......maybe we can spend next week re-inventing SHOES!!! I know its a biotch but it kinda grows on ya
LOLOLOLOLOL YOU are hilarious!!!

I got the spectra, not in the car but I got it. I believe Vansauto ones are spectra also

NEVER SAID I GOT ALL THE HELP I NEEDED....I was ASKING FOR HELP...

Re-read YOUR post #2 above. It says "thanks for the overwhelming flood of assistance on the call for help!!
Saved me oodles of research & phone call time"

If you were trying to be sarcastic, know that sarcasm doesn't work very well on internet forums.

As for the linear gas sender I have now, I may not care for how it is calibrated, but my factory gas gauge does not act crazy, it just shows "empty" when I still have 1/3 tank left. Beats the heck out of having no working gauge at all!

My Spectra brand sender was labeled "made in Canada".

Re-read YOUR post #2 above. It says "thanks for the overwhelming flood of assistance on the call for help!!
Saved me oodles of research & phone call time"

If you were trying to be sarcastic, know that sarcasm doesn't work very well on internet forums.

As for the linear gas sender I have now, I may not care for how it is calibrated, but my factory gas gauge does not act crazy, it just shows "empty" when I still have 1/3 tank left. Beats the heck out of having no working gauge at all!

My Spectra brand sender was labeled "made in Canada".

Sorry your bulb doesn't burn that bright to see that NO one had responded when I made that comment....OVERWHELMING RESPONSES MEANS too many to count....did you SEE too many to count?...... or did you REALLY think I had all the answers???

Never engage a battle of wits unarmed....sarcasm is all over this site...where have you been?

Sorry your bulb doesn't burn that bright to see that NO one had responded when I made that comment....OVERWHELMING RESPONSES MEANS too many to count....did you SEE too many to count?...... or did you REALLY think I had all the answers???

Never engage a battle of wits unarmed....sarcasm is all over this site...where have you been?

Ever hear of private messages, "smart" guy?

I'll compare my bulb to yours any day. I found answers to the same questions by searching old threads on this site without whining about anything. Try it some time- you'll be amazed what you can learn with a little work.

Ever hear of private messages, "smart" guy?

I'll compare my bulb to yours any day. I found answers to the same questions by searching old threads on this site without whining about anything. Try it some time- you'll be amazed what you can learn with a little work.

Hmmmm instant messages ,....you mean like the one you should have sent to me before taking a public swipe.... TSK TSK....and honestly missing something THAT obvious in a thread with a whopping 5 whole posts....geeze I am thinkin that bulb is only bright in the mind of the owner..... or maybe it was the two syllable words....not sure. How about if you want to continue this..... YOU do it OUTSIDE MY THREAD!! pretty cool HUH? you can use the TOOL you are trying to INSTRUCT me to use after you used the thread to take a public swipe...... are you aware of your shortcomings or just really that DIM?
..... and since WHEN is asking for assistance on FABO considered WHINING? since you said so? people ask for help here all the time...people get sarcastic here all the time......if the heat in the kitchen is a bit much for your sensitivity...stay out of threads, especially the HUGE ones like this one where the topic or the sarcasm is too convoluted or complicated or sarcastic for you to bear!
That way everybody is happy, you will not get annoyed by being revealed as being dim, I will not get annoyed by you trying to act like an insulting *** and the folks that read the thread will be happy that they don't have to read the pearls of wisdom on where & how to find information.
NOW can we please be through with the nonsense? and if you further desire to continue your feeble onslaught kindly do it in IM's.

I got the spectra, not in the car but I got it. I believe Vansauto ones are spectra also

YEP you are likely correct...SPECTRA is the manufacturer... their products are sold by many distributors...autozone being one of them. Their products are also re-boxed with different "brand"names... the more I investigate the more I am coming to think SPECTRA is the ONLY producer of this unit

Trouble is the Spectra sender is a Linear variable ground....and most of today's gauges ( and yesterdays gauges ) are set up for NON LINEAR sending units. The mismatch is where the issues begin. Before you buy gauges ...esp if they are autometer....ASK for the fuel gauge that is "programmable" so you can at least dial it in and get close to a correct reading.

YEP you are likely correct...SPECTRA is the manufacturer... their products are sold by many distributors...autozone being one of them. Their products are also re-boxed with different "brand"names... the more I investigate the more I am coming to think SPECTRA is the ONLY producer of this unit

Trouble is the Spectra sender is a Linear variable ground....and most of today's gauges ( and yesterdays gauges ) are set up for NON LINEAR sending units. The mismatch is where the issues begin. Before you buy gauges ...esp if they are autometer....ASK for the fuel gauge that is "programmable" so you can at least dial it in and get close to a correct reading.

really...because ive seen people who used these with the stock and autometer not programable and they work...look at Waggins post about it and tobybule? or something search spectra and vansauto on this site

-
Back