Stroker motor combonations

-
Ok cool.. Is there any advantage to going a bigger stroke if I can get the job done with less..

More cubes= lower rpm for the same power, broader power curve, flatter torque curve, more low end torque. Makes the car easier to run fast, and I'd argue with a lower rpm requirement you can get away with less valvespring pressure, meaning less valvetrain wear. Which is a plus if you drive the thing. :blob:

One more question.. Do you think a aftermarket block is nessasary? If so .. Who makes one?

None are being made at this time...MP stopped making the R3 block..

There is a block made by Kent Ritter....dont know if one of those has ever ran ...alot of problems..

be careful with the "pump gas" term
cause it is different between people.
87?
92?
94?
98?
pump fuel at the airport 110?

compression ratio is usually left out in most magazine builds.

:Dalot of times if the motor is built right with a stroker your power range is down farther in rpms, which keeps you usually topped out around 6500 on most, which makes all parts especially blocks last longer, stock ones, mrl has fully worked pro comps or eddies that will get you 600 + with a 4 inch stroke, 4 inch is a little cheaper and easier, imm has a new set of cnc rhs heads that will get you there, both good guys, match the rest of the motor up with a good intake , carb, 10 or 11 to one comp, you will be where you want to be, best of luck

Problem with 600+HP is that it's not a tame little street engine anymore...and that hurts some guys between the legs!

The difference between 500HP and 600HP is much more money (ouch), more maintenance (OUCH), and less street friendly requiring special driving skills and more pit (gas) stops (BIG OUCH)!

For those of you not familiar with us....http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1110-pump-gas-small-block-mopar/

Louis you'll be the first to know what that engine makes for power...we are dialing the compression back to 10.6:1 so there's no chance of detonation with true pump gas urine...

Brian

Aiming for a specific HP number is sometimes a bad thing. You can do more with less as show by 70aarcuda.
The draw backs are a bigger expense to do a stroker
The strokers create a lot of torque and lower rpm ceilings. But the power comes in earlier.
The need for a bigger head to expolite the HP potential can cost a good bit. The Edelbrock head can in stock form run in the 11's if the rest of the car can help it, not hinder it.
The cars weight, chassis strength and suspension set up alone with the gear ratio and etc.... Is more race like than street driven everyday ride.

Aiming for a specific HP number is sometimes a bad thing. You can do more with less as show by 70aarcuda. The draw backs are a bigger expense to do a stroker The strokers create a lot of torque and lower rpm ceilings. But the power comes in earlier. The need for a bigger head to expolite the HP potential can cost a good bit. The Edelbrock head can in stock form run in the 11's if the rest of the car can help it, not hinder it. The cars weight, chassis strength and suspension set up alone with the gear ratio and etc.... Is more race like than street driven everyday ride.

Yes, I have Gotten an idea with my engine builder what it will cost so that won't be a surprise.

All I'm aiming for is low tens , high nines small block stroker based off a 360.. I'm ordering a custom built Dana so gears will not be a problem.. I'm also having TSR trans build me a prepped power glide out of all JW stuff .. I'm aiming toward more of a drag week type car to compete in the small block N/A class .. Most likely won't be competitive but at least will be a real street car

I can attest to Brian(IMM) building awesome stroker motors. My W2 408 was very close to that 600 mark, too.

Another happy IMM driver here . Best quote about my motor came from an old school Hemi builder / racer who got out grinning from ear to after a test blast and said " Damn I never dreamed a small block could grunt like that , if we had these things back in the day I would have saved a fortune over all them Hemi's I ran " .

Give me a day and I'll get all part numbers off my paper work. The car car weights 3022 lbs with me in it. I run pump gas 93 on street and 112 on the track.

Cole, that sounds like a cool car. As long as you do not break out and run consistent, you'll be fine. Heads up is another thing. But still fun. I'm going to be trying the same thing shortly. Looking to a stroker W5 in a '71 Duster. Same idea as yours. Able to take it out on the street once in awhile is a goal of the car to have without issues.

Its nice to get an idea of what you need here, but once you get beyond simple bolt on performance (400 hp or so) you should seek out a builder and come up with a game plan.

605HP here, 416 built from 340 stock block, Indy top end. Block not filled, but it's only a cruiser/show car. So not every second is WOT, and I have 1000 miles of trouble free driving so far.

Have you looked into the setup of the Demon that won one of the small block N/A classes at drag week? Practically same description of what you're wanting. Was a small write-up in Hot Rod I read over the weekend.

Big difference between a low ten and a high nine. Alot of extra weight and money to be a true nine second car. A low ten second car at 3100lbs and good tires and suspension shouldnt be an issue now a days. And just for reference my 427cu in smallblock goes through the traps at 7100+rpm with the factory heads, intake, carb, and exhaust manifolds. Its all on how the combo works.

Low 10's are totally do able with a stroked small block. For example: My Barracuda is a street/race car that runs 10.5's @ 125 at about 3250 lbs with driver. The motor is 10.8:1 compression, ported eddy heads (stage II by Ryan J @ shadydell), small solid roller (248/254), 727, 8" converter, 4.10 gears, on 275/60/15 drag radials. If I put a descent sized cam in there it would easily go 10.3's at my current weight....If I put the car on a diet it would see very low 10's no problem. It is all in the package.

-
Back