Who's a diabetic??

-
My grampa had it. The bad kind. He lost sight in one eye, lost the felling to his feet. Then from all the rubbing on his feet that he did not know about got sores, then gang green. They started taking toes, then half of one of his feet and he had to weare these boots that fit real good so he would stop rubbing his feet raw. He was also loosing felling to his hands at te end.

He had to prick his hand two times a day for the test and give him self a shot. When he had an attack he would just sit there in a daze and if you did not get shuger in him there was a good chance of death. He was strong about it though and lived life to the fullest.

Died in his early 60's from it. Had a hard attack while driving.

Not trying to scare you but this is a big deal. Take care of your self.

My grampa had it. The bad kind. He lost sight in one eye, lost the felling to his feet. Then from all the rubbing on his feet that he did not know about got sores, then gang green. They started taking toes, then half of one of his feet and he had to weare these boots that fit real good so he would stop rubbing his feet raw. He was also loosing felling to his hands at te end.

He had to prick his hand two times a day for the test and give him self a shot. When he had an attack he would just sit there in a daze and if you did not get shuger in him there was a good chance of death. He was strong about it though and lived life to the fullest.

Died in his early 60's from it. Had a hard attack while driving.

Not trying to scare you but this is a big deal. Take care of your self.

Yeah it's a nasty disease even though you can control it but it never goes away.

Type 2 diagnosed in March of this year.
It's kinda scary, because my Grandpa had it pretty bad since he was in his teen's. He had both his legs amputated as a result of it.
I'm on Metformin, and been watching my food portions, and been trying to eat healthier.
I also have high blood pressure, which is not good for a diabetic, and on medication for that also.

I check my blood/sugar on average about 5-7 times a day and try to stay on top of it.

The doctor tells me it affects your vision, and your legs and feet.

I do have one question, at night sometimes it feels as if my feet are on fire or numb or something like that? Does anybody else have this sort of feeling??

hey 4spd, your not whining i think it's pretty much devastating to most people when the're diagnosed.......i know it hit me like a ton of bricks.....

i was diagnosed about a couple of years ago, had all the standard symptoms, dry mouth, a change in the taste in my mouth, vision, pissing every hour, drinking lots of water (never tasted so good) etc.........sugar was 583. my eye doctor told me i had it when i went in for a new prescription for my eyes, my vision had changed drasticly in about two weeks.

can't express enough how important diet and exercise are.

i was about 205 when diagnosed, i am now about 178 and still determined to get into the 160's.

i was a junk-food junkie........now i eat a low carb diet and try stay away from the bad stuff.

exercise daily, even if its just a walk around the block........work on the car...stay active.

i am on 2500 mils of metformine a day, my average bs is about 120 with a target of 110.

as you can see from some of the other fabo bro's it can be controlled, it takes work, but you can live pretty normally, on the other hand it can have devastating effects if ignored as mentioned above.

change of life coming dude, roll with the punches and make the healthy decisions, and you'll be fine........good luck man,

higgs

hey alley, i have something like that at night with my feet, it's not a numb or burning feeling, but my feet are sensitive, alot of times i have to kick off the blankets because they just bother me sometimes keeping me awake.....
higgs

I'm 32 and the doc said i had low blood sugar. I am on a diet to combat it. The bad thing i gotta watch alot i eat due to high blood pressure, gout and cholestrol. Next week will be 4 years since i had blood clots in my lungs and almost died. So i have lost 20 lbs in 3 months and hope it makes the doc happy

I'm type 1 (insulin dependent). The doctor tried the type 2 route but I was eating salads, vegetable dinners, and it would still go high. The meds wasn't doing it for me and I felt like crap the whole time. He put me on insulin and I felt so much better the first day I felt like a total different person. I been fighting this crap since 03. I started having bad headaches all because my sugar was high. I of course didn't know what was causing it but was going to the doctor to give me something for the pain. The doc told me if the headache comes on again she was going to do blood work. Well the migraine headache happened again, blood work came next and the rest is history.

This weekend I was camping and my sugar got out of whack (low) plus I got sick at my stomach. I just wanted to get home in the air and get my sugar straightened out but I didn't make it out of the camp ground. My motorcycle caught a root and me and the bike fell over. My friends came running got me and the bike off the ground. It was hard getting to feet and walking because I felt so weak. After that they wouldn't let me back on the motorcycle but I really didn't want to get on it after that. I road home with my friends wife and kids and my friend rode my bike home for me today.

Steve I hope you have better luck with it than I do. I think this incident this weekend was a wake up call for me.

I just turned 42 today. Type 2 diagnosed in January of this year. The doctor put me on Metphormin twice a day. I've lost 24 pounds since then due to serious diet modification and my sugar numbers are good now. I used to get light headed, but that quite a long time before I was diagnosed. I'm about to go in for my 6 month check up. Now if I can just get me cholesterol numbers in the green I'll be set.

I just found out in March along with Galstones so my galbladder came out and know I take two pills every morning and I check my sugar every other day it stays around 100 are under I don't drink a lot of sodas either I drink water and unsweet tea now but I'm not over weight I have lost 11 lbs I am now at 186 and thats were I have been sense my surgury,My mom and Dad are diabetic too so it did not go around me.

hey alley, i have something like that at night with my feet, it's not a numb or burning feeling, but my feet are sensitive, alot of times i have to kick off the blankets because they just bother me sometimes keeping me awake.....
higgs

Yeah, I don't really know how to describe it, I don't know if my feet are hot, cold, tingly, or what exactly, but I just know there not right.
I need to go in for my 3 month check up and get my A1C checked, and maybe they can give me some sort of explanation.

Yeah, I don't really know how to describe it, I don't know if my feet are hot, cold, tingly, or what exactly, but I just know there not right.
I need to go in for my 3 month check up and get my A1C checked, and maybe they can give me some sort of explanation.

It's neuropthy I have it. It is where the nerve endings die and you get numbness, cold feeling in your feet,shoes are uncomfortable and feels like your walking on needles and it does spread. I have it to my knee's so I am very careful driving when I do my reflexes are slow.

I have been a diabtetic since 1986, got diagnosed on Dec. 30th at age 15. What a great New Years that was. I remembe mt mom took me to see the doc about my eyes, because everthing was blurry. the doc took one look at me and told me to piss in the cup, in 2 minutes I was diagnosed. I had a blood level of 28 from all the pop I had been drinking to quench my thirst. I was down to 114 lbs and felt like the world was ending. Got to the hopspital and was upset saying I did not want this disease...doctor looked at me and said that I had two chioces. One, I could accept the fact that I will take 3-5 needles a day, plus 5-8 blood tests and live a long healthy life if I control my diabetes, OR I can choose option Two and be dead in 6 months. Needless to say I chose option one. As a young man it was a hard to adjust, but I have always been proud of my control and have always had an A1C (Avg. blood sugar test) of 6.1-6.8. As far as diseases go they all suck, BUT this one is manageable if you control it carefully. Your body will adjust. They told me 25 years ago if I ever had a sugar of 2 I would be dead, now days I have had 1.2 -1.7 readings and been able to have a conversation and act normal. My doctor is amazed, but it is still a disease you need to monitor constantly, BECAUSE low blood sugars SUCK! Thanks for letting me ramble on everyone, but it is nice to be able to share this with people in the same boat as myself!

Mark

It's neuropthy I have it. It is where the nerve endings die and you get numbness, cold feeling in your feet,shoes are uncomfortable and feels like your walking on needles and it does spread. I have it to my knee's so I am very careful driving when I do my reflexes are slow.

Thanks for the info OTR

This is me because I didn't listen almost 10 years ago.

It was my 40th birthday present in 1996! It led to retinal detachment and blindness in my left eye, leading to a medical disability retirement from my Law Enforcement career five years ago . . . so, take care of yourself!

Wow, a ton of good info and advice everyone! Lori and I went to the doc today and he said that I am borderline insulin dependent...my blood sugar was 14...but he said we will try the pills(metmorphin), rampiril Onglyza and coated asprin. Good thing is that none of these will interfere with my Percocet and diclofenac(for my back). Today was my 1st day on meds and I didnt **** myself, so I guess any day you dont **** yourself is a good day!! LOL I have an appt on Thursday and they will give me my glucose meter, the one good thing is they will give me the same meter as my dads, and dad gets his test strips for free so he has those for me too. I plan on listening closely to my doc, the plus out of this is it sounds like I will be in g string shape in no time! I hope like hell I dont have to stop drinking beer altogether!!
Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Wow, a ton of good info and advice everyone! Lori and I went to the doc today and he said that I am borderline insulin dependent...my blood sugar was 14...but he said we will try the pills(metmorphin), rampiril Onglyza and coated asprin. Good thing is that none of these will interfere with my Percocet and diclofenac(for my back). Today was my 1st day on meds and I didnt **** myself, so I guess any day you dont **** yourself is a good day!! LOL I have an appt on Thursday and they will give me my glucose meter, the one good thing is they will give me the same meter as my dads, and dad gets his test strips for free so he has those for me too. I plan on listening closely to my doc, the plus out of this is it sounds like I will be in g string shape in no time! I hope like hell I dont have to stop drinking beer altogether!!

Glad it went well. See if you can get a Ultra one touch mini meter the Dr can down load your reading ok

I do have one question, at night sometimes it feels as if my feet are on fire or numb or something like that? Does anybody else have this sort of feeling??

I have that problem sometimes too. Seems like it goes in cycles. Do ok for a week or two then it hits again for a few days. Drives me crazy cause I feel ok until I go to bed and as soon as I pull the covers over it starts and I can't hardly sleep it's so bad. I have never mentioned it to the doctor but maybe I should.

No you won't have to give up the beer. Once in a while do the low carb beer though (Sleemans Clear or Molson 67). Don't be afraid to check your blood often, the more you know the better you will feel. Hell I am drinking a Moosehead as I type this to you, but I was busy and at the gym already today so I deserve one!:toothy7:

i was told by my doc because of the metformin and glybride that i had to limit my intake to 2 drinks a day i have maybe 1 in amonth now

The best thing is to listen to your Doctor I just stopped eating alot of bread which I am a southerner and I love homemade biscuits,Just take care of your self becuase nobody else will good luck.

The best thing is to listen to your Doctor I just stopped eating alot of bread which I am a southerner and I love homemade biscuits,Just take care of your self becuase nobody else will good luck.

I miss my biscuits.

Just came in from talking to my neighbor who has been a diabetic for 41 yrs!

He has good insurance and can afford the pump. I on the other hand would much rather spend my money on something I can sell, touch, sit on, etc.. lol

I learn something every time I talk to him. They (doctors) are saying now that diabetes is not necessarily inherited. Something of the nature if you have had a bad virus with in the last four yrs that it can bring on diabetes. I had a virus about three yrs before I got diagnosed. I don't know ??

Ive made up my mind that checking my sugar three times a day is not working. So I am going to start checking it more often.

-
Back