‘63 Valiant - steering shaft play

-

shortmort37

Reaction score
No power steering, automatic (no shift lever) - the attached diagram is the closest to what I I have. The play is all at the lower end of the steering shaft (19-15-4), inside the coupling. What is the likely culprit - worn "shoes" (19-15-44)? If I loosen the steering jacket clamp inside the passenger compartment, might it be possible to service the coupling and associated parts without disassembling the steering column?

IMG_0040.JPG

steering.gif

TM-43436AC, $22.95....Steering Column Knuckle Kit All Makes. Technically for the 1967 and newer columns, but we have used them for earlier cars with no issues or problems.

1715098075122.png

Thanks, Rick. I'm wondering, though... What are the chances that the coupling body is worn? Are those available as well?

Thanks, Rick. I'm wondering, though... What are the chances that the coupling body is worn? Are those available as well?
Well......the housing is only about 60 years old, so probably a good idea to pull it off, clean it up, and see what you've got first.

Replacement housings are available if needed.

You don't have to disassemble the steering column, but you should remove it from the car. Just remove the two bolt holding the column to the dash, and the 4 (3?) bolts holding the firewall bracket that supports the lower end of the column. Disconnect the turn signal harness, then remove the bolt and nut holding the coupling to the steering box (later models use a roll pin), and pull the column out. Much easier to mess with the coupling when the whole column is out of the car. Actually, I've never done it any other way.

You don't have to disassemble the steering column, but you should remove it from the car. Just remove the two bolt holding the column to the dash, and the 4 (3?) bolts holding the firewall bracket that supports the lower end of the column. Disconnect the turn signal harness, then remove the bolt and nut holding the coupling to the steering box (later models use a roll pin), and pull the column out. Much easier to mess with the coupling when the whole column is out of the car. Actually, I've never done it any other way.
That seems easy enough. This is an attractive proposition to me, for a couple of reasons - I want to patch cracks in the steering wheel, and replace the broken piece that returns the turn signal arm (I have the part, just forget what it's called). And I can take it to a machine shop in the event I need to press out the shaft to shoe pin, instead of to the car shop. Also, I can assess the condition of the housing. There's a key spline for the housing, correct? Only one way to put it on?

I spoke with Rick@Laysons, and ordered the kit. Thanks for the advice!

That seems easy enough. This is an attractive proposition to me, for a couple of reasons - I want to patch cracks in the steering wheel, and replace the broken piece that returns the turn signal arm (I have the part, just forget what it's called). And I can take it to a machine shop in the event I need to press out the shaft to shoe pin, instead of to the car shop. Also, I can assess the condition of the housing. There's a key spline for the housing, correct? Only one way to put it on?

I spoke with Rick@Laysons, and ordered the kit. Thanks for the advice!
Canceling cam

Keep in mind you won't be able to use most of the parts in the kit Rick posted. Your coupler is a completely different shape. I went through the same thing on the couple on my '66 Dart.

Keep in mind you won't be able to use most of the parts in the kit Rick posted. Your coupler is a completely different shape. I went through the same thing on the couple on my '66 Dart.
Here's the statement about the kit on their website: "Steering Column Knuckle Kit All Makes. Technically for the 1967 and newer columns, but we have used them for earlier cars with no issues or problems. 63 -79 - All Mopar -"

I'm guessing the shoes are shot, so if those parts fit I think I'll be OK.

Here's the statement about the kit on their website: "Steering Column Knuckle Kit All Makes. Technically for the 1967 and newer columns, but we have used them for earlier cars with no issues or problems. 63 -79 - All Mopar -"

I'm guessing the shoes are shot, so if those parts fit I think I'll be OK.
At the very least, be sure to take it apart to see what's going on before you buy anything. There are several versions of these couplers and they're all slightly different.

You may be able to use the shoes in that kit, but you won't be able to use the seal, seal retainer, or spring. Hopefully your spring isn't broken.

If the coupler was disassembled sometime in the past, it may just have been re-assembled wrong. If you turn the shoes 90 degrees, there will be all kinds of slop in the coupler. I'd pull the column and disassemble the coupler before ordering any parts. It's rare that those shoes wear out. They're made some pretty tough steel. The housing wears easier. Hopefully the pin the shoes sit on isn't worn. Those are not available as far as I know, and the amount of pressure it takes to remove one is quite a bit. It also has to be centered very accurately. Take care removing the seal cage/retainer. If you bend it, it's a real ***** to get it straight and reinstalled.

-
Back