08 cahllenger ???? a let down

-

flight704

Reaction score
i have seen numerous articles on the 08 challenger and i was caught up in the hype myself. i saw them at the carlisle show this weekend and i was kind of let down. it looks so cool in the magazines but when i saw it in person next to a 70's era cuda/challenger it looks kind of like a bloated whale????
it deos resemble the original and i love the concept but it just looked fat to me?

anyone else think this as well or am i just being too picky?

I just came from a all mopar show at Summit racing and there was one there an orange one. It's cool and all but, the guy told somebody it could be there's for 50g's. I guess if I had stupid money I'ld get one but, I still dig the 70-74 cuda/callenger. Maybe if I drove it I would fall in love. If they brought back the cuda it might be a different story. I have a 71 Duster 340 and it got more attention than the challenger. People would walk up and take a look and keep walking. When it came to a 4406pk bee the stood there a while. Mike

That's funny, I always thought it looked like a "bloated whale" myself until I saw it in person. Sure it's big but it looks muscular and if you take it at face-value instead of comparing it to the original car, it's a real beauty.

I saw them at Carlisle and I thought they looked great. Saw a bright red '09 RT on the fun field that a private party entered. I was surprised to see that car.

It isn't really fair to judge it against the original. These are far different times.

I found a picture of the '09 Red RT that I saw at Carlisle. This was taken by someone who saw it in their hotel parking lot.

09ChallengerRT.jpg

I like it better than the new mustangs, and the camaro concept car, but I'd take an old 70 challenger over one any day.

i like the lines and how it clones the original myself. but when you see them side by side it looks fat is all im saying. maybe its just me. either way beauty is in the eye of the beholder. doesnt matter i dont have 40g to lay out on one anyways lol

I didn't care for it either but same happened when I first saw the PT Cruiser close up so I was really surprised.
Yesterday a orange 08 Chally was parked nearly center of a local cruise-in event. Amongst all the classics it looked waaaay out of place. Nothing eye catching inside or out. 6.1 HEMI in text doesn't impress me.
When rain chased everyone away the guy in its drivers seat sure eyed my car more than I did at his.
I aint saying I inspired him to go home and cry on his payment coupons but with 150 classics cherries around him , he had cause to.
The Chally may stand out or turn heads in todays traffic but we all do.
Redd Foxx joked about not swerving and wrecking to avoid a deer.
"I dont drive in their woods. They dont run on my highways."
I feel the same way about new cars at cruise-ins.

I like the looks and I'd love to have one. I've seen the new 08 Challenger drifter car, from the same guys that have the drifter Vipers & they would 't let me take a picture of it. They chopped the top off and made a carbon fiber top for it. It looked bad ***.

Not a bad car considering the choices we have for a new RWD 2DR Mopar. I didn't like how quiet they were, though. Needs Flowmasters:snakeman:
I did like that 09 Chally in B5 blue:love7:

Anyone know the latest on all of the hail damaged Challengers that supposed have been shipped out to the folks waiting?

Anyone know the latest on all of the hail damaged Challengers that supposed have been shipped out to the folks waiting?

Cars are being auctioned off, the buyers need to order an 09, Dodge is not going to replace those limited edition cars. So the 6400 is hort the damaged units, the people get their deposits back etc..

really sucks!

I think they should have remade those cars, crushed the bad ones etc.

They could have done it really easy. They make 250-300 cars a day on the line..

for 50g's u can make a true challenger perform better than the 08.

dont know about that, mabe if you already had a restored 70 challenger 440 6pack to build on, try buying a half way decent E body thats drivable for under 10k, theres the cost of the car itself. there are people that do have at least 50k into their origional E-body but there is no way to compete with a new one as far as suspension, transmision, ect...i would way rather have a white 70 440 RT with a pistol grip, vanishing point style, it is my dream car but come on. 6.1 (around 392cu) litre hemi that has the same horse as a 426, along with EFI. Not to mention i think the SRT 8 get around 20mpg, wont even get half that with a Big block. Just wait for the hype to die down, this 50k BS is gone after 08. once they start getting on the market the price with get back down. And come on people, at least chrysler finaly got its head out of it A$$ and built a rwd 2-DOOR car with some style. Before this what did we have? the charger, i like them but the mustang guys laughed at them because for the obvious reason that chrysler took a legendary musclecar name and made it into a rwd 4-Door. Now the challenger is out on the streets to compete with the mustangs and camaros

sorry for the rant but i know the new challenger is not an exact clone of the origional but it was never supposed to be.....it was supposed to be retro, and i think they did a hell of a job with it. even non mopar guys recognice the body lines as mopar E-body

Correct they will come down.

I have a 2009 6spd on order with every option, but no sunroof. I got it about $1600 under MSRP. I think the total is about $43k and change for the car.

I still want to have Jay's origional 70 hemi 4spd, not gonna happen in this lifetime though.. Huge bucks..

The new car has better top end, handles a bunch better, and has modern conforts etc.. You can not compare the 2.

Hell I rode in my freind Bruce's 70 6pack 340 4 spd car. We did headers, distributor recurve, gears, tires, and rejetted the carbs. It ran mid to high 11s all day long...

Hey they are all good. That is why I still have my 64 Dart with a 416 small block stroker in it..

A lot of the dealers are gonna either come down on the 08s soon, or sell for much less once the 09s are hear next month...

Correct they will come down.

I have a 2009 6spd on order with every option, but no sunroof. I got it about $1600 under MSRP. I think the total is about $43k and change for the car.

I still want to have Jay's origional 70 hemi 4spd, not gonna happen in this lifetime though.. Huge bucks..

The new car has better top end, handles a bunch better, and has modern conforts etc.. You can not compare the 2.

Hell I rode in my freind Bruce's 70 6pack 340 4 spd car. We did headers, distributor recurve, gears, tires, and rejetted the carbs. It ran mid to high 11s all day long...

Hey they are all good. That is why I still have my 64 Dart with a 416 small block stroker in it..

A lot of the dealers are gonna either come down on the 08s soon, or sell for much less once the 09s are hear next month...

when i get a challenger it will be a 6 speed:snakeman: and it will be white, i want a modern vanishing point car. i cant have one with an auto, but that wont be for a few years yet. what color did you order yours in?

i also seen the red challenger at carlisle,,,but could never find it parked to see where he got a red one from,,,the first edition were only in silver black and orange,, i almost thought some one painted a 2008 red,,,i liked the silver and black,,over half of the 2008 models were ordered in hemi orange,,

there was a guy at carlisle with a 08 orange madel,,the car had 10 miles on it,, he had only driven it 1 mile,,the other 9 miles were put on by the factory and the company that installs the spoilers,,,said he decided he wants an 2009 model with a stick shift,,,ive heard that to many times already,,said if he cant sell it at carlisle for 62 grand he will keep it and start putting some miles on it,,

It seems to me that people aren't going to be happy no matter what Chrysler does, people (myself included) BITCHED, MOANED, COMLAINED AND BEGGED for them to come out with a real "New Gen" muscle car. So what do they do they put everything on the line to come out with this new Challenger and in my opinion did a great job, maybe not perfect but never the less. And what do people do they find WHATEVER they can to ***** MOAN AND COMPLAIN about IT. If your not happy with it then jump the band waggon and get a Mustang cause Chrysler/ Dodge tried to make people happy but we all know theres always the few people that once they got what they asked for are NEVER happy and just ask for something else. If you dont want to pay the stupidly marked up price wait till the 09's come out cause they aren't limited editions, if you compair it too much to the Challenger of the past then get one of those, if your not happy with body gaps well guess what, none of the cars your driving now came with handcrafted body gaps eigther thats what happens on mass production etc etc...

I guess what I'm trying to say is stop looking at all all the bad and look at the GOOD! We the MOPAR crowd FINALLY have an obtainable mucle/sports car that inherits everything that we love and respect of our brand, sport and mucle car heritage, no more will it just be FORD and CHEVY ruling the streets in NEW muscle car glory, just like the 60's they got ahead of the 8 ball first but what happend MOPAR came out on top and now we're it's come full circle.

Thanx for reading my little rant!

when i get a challenger it will be a 6 speed:snakeman: and it will be white, i want a modern vanishing point car. i cant have one with an auto, but that wont be for a few years yet. what color did you order yours in?

Tored with a 6spd srt with the 6.1. They have no mufflers just resonators. A guy with a pilot 2009 spd put cat backs on it a CAI system and retuned the brain. it made 430 to the rear wheels. I think they estimate 17% loss from engine to wheels on these cars, anyway it gained about 50hp to the rear wheels after updates. Runs 0-60 with the F1 super tires in 4.2 He had it up to 185. Faster than I will drive it. Not bad fo 4000 lbs!

You can get an RT in White with a spd for much less in the mid to low 30s depends on options etc.

The 09s have a true posi rear end with 3.92 and it is a bigger diff than the 08s and much stonger. You can also turn all the computer driver foot to the floor crap off too on a 6spd.

Not bad ride for a newer car..

i also seen the red challenger at carlisle,,,but could never find it parked to see where he got a red one from,,,the first edition were only in silver black and orange,, i almost thought some one painted a 2008 red,,,i liked the silver and black,,over half of the 2008 models were ordered in hemi orange,,

there was a guy at carlisle with a 08 orange madel,,the car had 10 miles on it,, he had only driven it 1 mile,,the other 9 miles were put on by the factory and the company that installs the spoilers,,,said he decided he wants an 2009 model with a stick shift,,,ive heard that to many times already,,said if he cant sell it at carlisle for 62 grand he will keep it and start putting some miles on it,,

This car was a new 08, the guy has deep pockets and already had i repainted. it was pictured on the challengertalk board.

It seems to me that people aren't going to be happy no matter what Chrysler does, people (myself included) BITCHED, MOANED, COMLAINED AND BEGGED for them to come out with a real "New Gen" muscle car. So what do they do they put everything on the line to come out with this new Challenger and in my opinion did a great job, maybe not perfect but never the less. And what do people do they find WHATEVER they can to ***** MOAN AND COMPLAIN about IT. If your not happy with it then jump the band waggon and get a Mustang cause Chrysler/ Dodge tried to make people happy but we all know theres always the few people that once they got what they asked for are NEVER happy and just ask for something else. If you dont want to pay the stupidly marked up price wait till the 09's come out cause they aren't limited editions, if you compair it too much to the Challenger of the past then get one of those, if your not happy with body gaps well guess what, none of the cars your driving now came with handcrafted body gaps eigther thats what happens on mass production etc etc...

I guess what I'm trying to say is stop looking at all all the bad and look at the GOOD! We the MOPAR crowd FINALLY have an obtainable mucle/sports car that inherits everything that we love and respect of our brand, sport and mucle car heritage, no more will it just be FORD and CHEVY ruling the streets in NEW muscle car glory, just like the 60's they got ahead of the 8 ball first but what happend MOPAR came out on top and now we're it's come full circle.

Yep it out handle a stang, in any verion even a gt500, and a vettet and most every performance import too. Also will stop from 100mph i nabout 3 sec too.

Most folks seem to think the car is nicer in erson, especially once you get to drive it.

I agree for 2008+ and the near future, I think it is about dam time something worth a dam to buy that is new. I think for 40K you get a hell of a lot of car. The tires and wheels alone would cost you about $3200 a set of 4.

Hell my freinds little BMW that to me is over rated ha no decent stereo, no handling, and no power at all, and brakes are not even in the same league.. heck he paid 55k for that little box.

my 2cents.. nuff said I am done... sorry to rant...:cheers:

exactly what i was trying to say

Yeah, I just hope Chrysler starts making some forced-induction Hemis for their cars so they aren't left behind by the GT500's and the new Camaros with their 'Vette engines. That's the only reason why I'm not entirely supportive of the whole Mopar muscle-car revival (YET); back in the '60s, GM and Ford scrambled to keep up with the performance and technology of ChryCo cars.

-
Back