#1 hillbilly drag strip

-

Reaction score
Paragould, Arkansas, it can’t get any more hillbilly that this place. Love that guardrail

no jacket, no helmet, no problem!

Last edited:
George Ray is gone, but does anybody know if that track is still operating?

Brown County Dragway in Indiana

Yello Belly in Texas is wild

I love the smaller tracks. You can witness some really crazy $hit.

Rays was going strong last time I was there.

That was pre covid.

Fun place to race heads-up.

There are two more strips close that have closed, One is just South of Sallisaw Oklahoma and it has closed but is for sale.
I do not think it is in disrepair but may be.

The other is (Two Lane Blacktop ), It was between Bee Branch and Greers Ferry Arkansas.
It has been closed for about 15 years.

Lots of Big names and Big money has been run down the strip at Rays. (RIP)

@memike...in 3.....2....1......

That's in his neck'o'the'woods :thumbsup:
Yes it is, 18 miles away from my home here on the hill
That looks like it was a fun place!
Still is, I have been going for 47 years myself
George Ray is gone, but does anybody know if that track is still operating?
Never closed, been running strong to this day, they race 3 day a week now at times if weather permits
The last picture is George Rays grandson driving Georges old race car.
Never closed, I don't know of any spectator thats been hurt.

20220410_104114.jpg

20220410_125706.jpg

20220410_115538.jpg

20220410_125630.jpg

20220326_150654.jpg

20220326_134032.jpg

FB_IMG_1684600369263.jpg

As you can see, the yong children in those little drag racers enjoy it, there Father's are racers and we have a 72 year old lady that wins the money in 7.0 class 50 % of the time. Her name is Jackie, her son has a 6.0 car and her husband has one of his own 6.50 car. Historical track is still running after 60 plus year, never has changed hands.
Last picture is my little 66 I drove there and my friend Mr Hill and his race cars, the black duster in these picture is Mr Hills dought at age 16, she cuts some great lights in her 8.0 class small block

FB_IMG_1624291242472.jpg

20190901_124556.jpg

20190901_150217.jpg

20200510_154641.jpg

20191105_110447.jpg

20190518_101305.jpg

20190519_123436.jpg

20190901_150300.jpg

20190518_101754.jpg

20181007_153700.jpg

Above you can see an American Motors car, and all his friends under the trees, all of them are over 65 years old, they named there bunch No Pep Out law racers.. great bunch of old guys, I helped paint that one red white and blue, raced it as well.

We know how to enjoy our Sundays after church hours. This picture was two fathers day ago, my sons took time out to hang out and watch as I raced another person's car.
Yes, a simple life and good folks have enjoyed George Rays Drag strip for many years, the young man on the right has sat on George Rays shoulders before, I was racing my 70 318 Barracuda. All fun.

FB_IMG_1541950700335.jpg

Right hand lane has no grip from the first few minutes I have seen, loving this place myself
I would love the place at 12 seconds.. not at 9+ :) The left lane has an nice dip in it also down track.. it's scary as hell

I would love the place at 12 seconds.. not at 9+ :) The left lane has an nice dip in it also down track.. it's scary as hell
Wow, left hand lane at George Rays has a dip in it at 120 ft, tires break loss if you don't know how to drive around it or lift a tic (back off) as you hit it in anything faster then an 8.0 car., going to watch that video today .

Wow, left hand lane at George Rays has a dip in it at 120 ft, tires break loss if you don't know how to drive around it or lift a tic (back off) as you hit it in anything faster then an 8.0 car., going to watch that video today .
Yeah, i watch a lot of no prep (the real guys, not the super rich ones that are at like Norwalk and claiming it's "No Prep". The normal noprep guys are just insane

The wow is when they do night races.. with no lights and a lot of the cars don't have lights.. it's truly insane. at 150+ They live stream the events
That's pretty crazy/stupid really. We have had some crashes, injuries, and a few deaths at our local track. 1/4 mile though. That second half can get dicey at the higher speeds.

Ah.. i was wrong, they do have a few lights... some of the tracks are crazy dark

Paragould, Arkansas, it can’t get any more hillbilly that this place. Love that guardrail

no jacket, no helmet, no problem!

Wait, you have a Guard rail at that track?! As cool as George Rays is, and it’s down right cool, Brown County Dragway in Indiana is even more sketch and holds the title of most redneck track . There’s literally a grass strip the length of the track between the lanes. There is no guard rail, go off the track and you have maybe 30 feet of grass, down hill on one side, uphill on the other, then the woods. And then the return lane.

I was wondering how the bite was/is at those small hick tracks . We went up to OKC one time to race on the old Jimmy Nix track , sand dust pits made it impossible to get the hemi moving .
A friends "big inch stripped camaro'' won that day , he had his collectors piped to where they would blow the sand out from the front of his slicks , I kid you not !!

-
Back