1' spacer under carb

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I was on Edelbrocks tech site looking for some answers since no nobody is picking up the phone there. Anyway, there saying putting a four hole 1' spacer under carb will help your low end and improve mpg. Thought I would run it through here before moving forward. thanks

They say it works. Many dyno tuned engines use a spacer to improve the numbers

A 4 hole spaced on what intake?

Thisis always a loaded question that has many results leaving the poster more confused and dizzy.

Here is a basic...

Open spacer on a dual plane
Divided spacer on a dual plane
4 hole spacer on a single plane
Open spacer on a single plane

Your results may vary.
Nothing is in stone.

Performer on mild 318 with avs-2 650. Tech site recommended open spacer on single plane

I was thinking of removing my 1" spacer to a smaller size due to clearance.
Between the Edelbrock DP4B manifold, the Edelbrock carb and spacer, the brand new 383 Pie Tin plate has rubbed away. The engine shakes and the aircleaner rubs the hood insulation.
Kind of annoying given the price of Pie Tins. This is my second one, and they always seem to be back ordered.

I'm running an aluminum HVH 1 inch spacer .I think it makes a difference , haven't had it on a dyno . Just wanted to throw that in there .

One of those things you got to try and see.

Just about every dyno pull you see on you tube, that dynos without . Then with ,seem to always pickup in dyno numbers . Seems to me when you start getting into the spacers thicker than 1 inch things start varying a lot !! I’ve never had my race car on a dyno before! I always used the race track for that ! Every engine I have ever had always pickup ET and MPH with some sort of spacers underneath the carb or carbs !

Last edited:
Engine masters just did a spacer test, open and four hole on a two plane, and open and four hole on a single plane. Lots of info there, but in summary, open spacer on the dual plane gave better results, four hole on a single plane worked best.
There are lots of variations of spacer, and countless combinations to put them on. As 273 said, just something you have to try, to know what works for you.
IQ52 tested one of his engines a few years back on his dyno, and reported the results here. He showed a fifteen hp improvement on his combo with the right $20 spacer. Hard to beat that kind of return for the money.

If you use a 4 hole Make sure the secondary throttle plates don’t hit the spacer. Mine did. Machined it into an open one. Works great. Carb runs much cooler too.

7D0D38B2-69BA-47F9-AF26-3AA03EC02B5A.jpeg

Last edited:
1" open phenolic spacer picked up a bunch of seat of the pants power when i put on my 413 performer rpm.

A single plane on a mild 318 does not sound like a correct combo to me.
I did a poor job of information there. What the Edelbrock tech site said was open spacer worked better on single plane with more power higher rpm. (I'm running a performer dual plane) The four hole spacer will give you better low end power but will suffer at higher rpm. It's not often I ever take mine over 4500 rpm so if I can increase my lower power that would be great.
I agree with jah64 when I installed avs-2 650 a couple of years ago my secondaries were hitting my heat spacer and not opening up all the way. I took spacer out and did some carving to make it work.

I was thinking of removing my 1" spacer to a smaller size due to clearance.
Between the Edelbrock DP4B manifold, the Edelbrock carb and spacer, the brand new 383 Pie Tin plate has rubbed away. The engine shakes and the aircleaner rubs the hood insulation.
Kind of annoying given the price of Pie Tins. This is my second one, and they always seem to be back ordered.

Let me suggest the Edelbrock 9265 or 9266.
Closely resembles the factory heat insulator that came on the 340 cars.

350-9266.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

I have a one inch 4 hole phenolic spacer on my 360 in the 71 Challenger conv. It has KB107's, stock J heads, .455 lift MP cam, LD340 with a 600 Edelbrock. Runs good in that heavy car, and will get 20 mpg on the interstate with 3.23's.

-
Back