1 wire alternator and v.regulator elimination

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
I have a '65 C body that I am going to switch over to a 1 wire setup. Off of the voltage regulator, I know one wire goes to field and the other goes into the bulk head. I know right off the bat that the field side can be eliminated because I won't need it. Can I just clip the wire going into the bulkhead and be done with it?

The wiring has been hacked and I am eliminating anything that will not be needed.

From what I understand, the only wire needed is the one wire going to the battery.

It is a bit like defusing a bomb, if you cut the ignition wire in the wrong place, the ignition will not work. :) Keep the wire that goes to the ballast/coil circuit.

PLEASE do not take a Great Big alternator and hook it to your factory wiring

Read this please:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Please pay attention to 'reading between the lines' IE the why and what of this mod, which is in simple terms, weak old wiring

As Dave said above, you could very well eliminate yourself right out of a running car

What do you have in the way of shop manual/ wiring diagram?

Last, you could very well end up with LOW system voltage because of voltage drop / old connections / under sized factory wire.

The 65 C-body wiring is like any 70- Mopar. The alternator gets only a single "hot" field wire. The other side of the field is grounded to the frame of the alternator. The hot field wire comes from the voltage regulator on the firewall. It does not go into the bulkhead connector. The IGN1 wire (green or blue?) powers the Vreg, and does come from inside the cabin (key switch).

Basically hooked to switched 12V off the fuse panel and ground.

But if you have harness voltage drop issues that you have not fixed, it will probably not read accurately.

-
Back