1 wire electronic distributor

-

Rick Wellman

Reaction score
has anyone ever switched from regular electronic distributor to a one wire electronic distributor. What do I get into on removing the module, ballast and wiring mess. I’m doing this on a 65 Barracuda, sb v8 that was changed over to regular electronic distributor with ecm. Thanks in advance. Rick

I have a Summit racing ready to run on my 318. Easy to hook up works great. No ignition box needed.It was like $210.00

Check SkipWhiteSpeedShop on ebay. Somewhere around $60
I'm running the ready to run 2 wire electronic with gm internals they sell.
Only other piece is a good coil.
No ballast, no ecu and i'm running a different alt. so no regulator either.
Really cleans up the old wiring a lot imo.

Last edited:
Rick,
Summit sells a one wire alternator, that is in a Mopar case, it bolts right up to the factory brackets.

Rick,
Summit sells a one wire alternator, that is in a Mopar case, it bolts right up to the factory brackets.
Thanks Shaun, I just ordered a one wire off eBay today. I bought a 2 wire last week. Put it in and could not get any fire to the plugs. It was a simple hookup, but couldn’t get anything out of it. It was either bad or I burned it out . Not sure which but never did did it to fire.i think the one wire will cure the problem

Thanks guys for all your responses. I ain’t giving up. I’ll whoop this problem yet
What car are you working on? What distributor were you originally using? On some conversion distributors you’re supposed to connect the ballast wires together bypassing it all together so if you aren’t going to get any spark so something to consider when your new one shows up.

Jake

Thanks guys for all your responses. I ain’t giving up. I’ll whoop this problem yet

Well we need more info. There is no such thing as a "one wire" distributor, except maybe the "big cap" HEI things..........

......................like this monster.............

which won't even fit some bodies or some intake combinations

61hXZ%2B9WAqL._SL1000_.jpg

What car are you working on? What distributor were you originally using? On some conversion distributors you’re supposed to connect the ballast wires together bypassing it all together so if you aren’t going to get any spark so something to consider when your new one shows up.

Jake
Thanks Jake, gonna bypass the ballast and module all together.

In that case it is easy. Where the original ballast is, connect all wires together. Use the original coil+ wire to feed power to your new ignition

You should have:

IGN1 coming out of the bulkhead, usually dark blue
IGN2 coming out of the bulkhead, usually brown
The wire going from ballast to coil+ usually dark blue
The wire going from ballast to voltage regulator usually dark blue

If it was previously converted to electronic, I'd just carefully strip all that out

In that case it is easy. Where the original ballast is, connect all wires together. Use the original coil+ wire to feed power to your new ignition

You should have:

IGN1 coming out of the bulkhead, usually dark blue
IGN2 coming out of the bulkhead, usually brown
The wire going from ballast to coil+ usually dark blue
The wire going from ballast to voltage regulator usually dark blue

If it was previously converted to electronic, I'd just carefully strip all that out
Thanks a lot. Can’t wait to get it running. Been about a 3 month project changing it over to v8. Finding parts, changing differential, changing k member, torsion bars. Almost there

Check SkipWhiteSpeedShop on ebay. Somewhere around $60
I'm running the ready to run 2 wire electronic with gm internals they sell.
Only other piece is a good coil.
No ballast, no ecu and i'm running a different alt. so no regulator either.
Really cleans up the old wiring a lot imo.
Where where did you hook the two wires from the ready to run distributor. I got no instructions with mine. I hooked the red and black wires to 12 volt. Ran a hot wire to the coil, bypassing the ballast and left off the ecu. Moved the black wire from ground to negative on the coil, still Got no fire to the plugs.

-
Back