10" Brake Hardware

-

john1779

Reaction score
Hello. I am rebuilding a 65 Dart with 10" drum brakes on the front. I already have all of the parts to rebuild the drums other than the hardware kit (all the little cables, springs and adjuster). I am having a mighty powerfull hard time finding a new set of these. I do have the old ones but would rather not put them back on. Any advice as to where to get them would be much appriciated.

I just purchased the hardware kit and adjuster kit for my '75 Scamp with 10x2.5 brakes from NAPA Auto Parts.

I have a 65 Dart w/ 10" drums and re-did the brakes a year or so ago. I got a hardware kit at Autozone ~$8 per axle. Just ask for a 74+ Dart. You will have to re-use a few of your hold-down pins since one of your shoes is a different width. I recall the rear ones are 2.25" instead of 2.5" of later Darts. You will also get the later style self-adjusters, which are probably a better design anyway. Will probably have to go to 2 Autozones since each one has only 1 kit (my experience) or order on-line. I recall you also might have to ask for later front hoses. Only difference is they have a longer metal part to make wrenching easier (I think). Go slow, use WD-40, and don't damage your brake tubes.

Make sure you put the parts marked "L" on the driver's side and "R" on the right side. Also, note that there is a primary and secondary shoe in each pair. Put the one with the longer pad on the aft side. Whoever redid my 64 Valiant's brakes didn't know any of the above, plus got grease on the new shoes. I spend a lot of time removing rust and painting my parts, but no need. Photos have been posted on FABO several times, if you don't have the FSM.

Thank you I will try for the 74+ part. I already have the pad pins so that shouldnt be a problem. Sadly though no Autozone here in Alaska. Napa it is.

I just bought some hardware kits from the local NAPA. Part number they sold me was
H7129. See if your NAPA has those.

I also whent to the local Napa last night and got a set. Thanks for the 74 and up advise. Grim, the sets they gave me were for a left and a right side as was posted earlyer by Bill. The Napa also had a hold down pin set for the 65 so I got it as well. It was like $3. This it looks like this got me a whole new set.

-
Back