10" Drum Conversion

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
SO Christmas came a little early.

Wilwood 10" drum to disc conversion and RMS uppers.

The stuff just looks amazing and top quality.

Attachments

• 1506775_10202829458806939_1848773213_n.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 378
Sounds like someone is going to have some fun. Keep us posted on the installation. Pictures will be helpful also.

Very cool as I have 10in drum brakes on my Dart and would like to convert it to manual disk brakes

I bought this whole setup from RMS.

He claims this kit is 35 pounds lighter than stock and stops better than the factory disc brakes.

ANd you use your spindles. Bonus.

What does it run I have insterest in those also?

Depends in how you want it optioned... but I got powder coated spindles machined for large ball joint and drilled and slotted rotors for 779 $

Just wondering if they fit the factory 14 inch rally rims? Would love disc brakes but want to keep the original rims. Most websites say need 15 inch rims but some 14 may fit.

Just wondering if they fit the factory 14 inch rally rims? Would love disc brakes but want to keep the original rims. Most websites say need 15 inch rims but some 14 may fit.

I would call RMS. He knows this stuff and these cars better than anyone.

Attachments

• 942174_10202889328343640_144323666_n.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 284
  • 1549276_10202889328543645_333114889_n.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 20131231_080016.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 20131231_080026.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 20131231_080041.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 20131231_080052.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 278
Rocco, are you saying that 10" spindles won't take the large ball joint? Also I recently picked this kit up ,do them pads look kinda small to you? Everyone seems to always want bigger rotors, would'nt it stand to reason bigger pads are better also? I do like the weight savings? I would estimate stock 73+ up pads are another 30% larger? ( Just a couple questions I've had on my mind) thanks

Rocco, are you saying that 10" spindles won't take the large ball joint? Also I recently picked this kit up ,do them pads look kinda small to you? Everyone seems to always want bigger rotors, would'nt it stand to reason bigger pads are better also? I do like the weight savings? I would estimate stock 73+ up pads are another 30% larger? ( Just a couple questions I've had on my mind) thanks

67-72 10" drum spindles will not take the large ball joint unless they are machined to the larger size with a tapered ream.

Pads look normal size to me. These brakes do stop better than 73' stock discs.

Would you happen to know weather or not 73+ up 10" spindles will accept the big ball joints?

Hey roccodart440,
The 10in spindles that you used did you have them machined or did they come with the kit you bought from RMS? What lower control arms are you using? What size tire are you running with the new set up?

Thanks Ken

Would you happen to know weather or not 73+ up 10" spindles will accept the big ball joints?

I'd assume yes but one call to RMS will answer that question.

Hey roccodart440,
The 10in spindles that you used did you have them machined or did they come with the kit you bought from RMS? What lower control arms are you using? What size tire are you running with the new set up?

Thanks Ken

I had them machined (for free by RMS) to the larger ball joint size.

Lower CA's are QA1 units.

Tires are 26x7.50x15

So do you use the original drum master cylinder or change to the disc/drum MC? I can't find any info on the Wilwood site.

Not necessarily; bigger pads may be better or worse, depending; you spread the available force across a larger area, and thus reduce the pad pressure which gives you less braking force. But, this is compensated to some degree by the larger swept area; the end result depends on what direction the pad size is increased.

With a small pad, you can get a higher braking force on the car with the same pedal pressure, by just changing the compound to a higher coefficient of friction. The pads in this kit is the BP-10, which has a moderately high coefficient of friction, which I assume is how they get decent brake torque out of this.

A larger pad with larger rotors increases heat capacity of the brakes (and increase braking torque, all else being equal), but this is a trade off that may or may not be useful for the street, depending on how aggressive you are on the brakes; it will be good for the track. However, with 14" or 15" wheels, you are stuck with just so much rotor diameter. The heat dissipation out of a disc setup should certainly be better than the old, non-finned drums. For daily moderate-to-hard driving here in the Appalachians, that is a big deal. Fading drum brakes are pretty scary!!

Just as a pure guess, I would not expect as much life out of these pads as the pads in a stock Dodge disc system.

So do you use the original drum master cylinder or change to the disc/drum MC? I can't find any info on the Wilwood site.

You can and I have but this Time around I'm using a wormwood 7/8 piston aluminum master with the map offset kit.

So you have used the stock drum MC? Or the stock discs-front MC? (I assume the main issue with using the stock drum MC is that there is not the usual large front reservoir to hold enough fluid to compensate for the large drain of fluid as the caliper pistons move in with pad wear. But that is why I am asking.)

So you have used the stock drum MC? Or the stock discs-front MC? (I assume the main issue with using the stock drum MC is that there is not the usual large front reservoir to hold enough fluid to compensate for the large drain of fluid as the caliper pistons move in with pad wear. But that is why I am asking.)

I don't remember. It was manual brakes. I used an adj proportioning valve.

-
Back