10 Greatest Muscle Cars of All Times

-
Never owned any of the ten close to year models on some...
But I have driven every car listed but # 2 and # 5

9. 1968 Pontiace Firebird Coupe one 400 4spd one 67 same
8. 1969 Dodge Charger R/T one and three 68's
6. 1965 Pontiac GTO two , one 66 one 67 one 68
1. 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500 one Just sold

Owned but not here any more

Too many to chose from for a top 10,without leaving something out,in each persons opinion. ie 65 SS 396 Chevelle's-440 6 pack Cuda's-401 AMX's-L88 Corvette's-455 Hurst Old's-and the list goes on. Can't really rule out the small blocks either. I've seen many 340 Darts,Duster's,and Demon's,small block Nova's,and Mustangs,smoke big block cars.

Not all Buick GSX were Stage 1 (the badest Buick engine ever made). It was optional on all GS. A Buick GS Stage 1 is the same as a GSX Stage 1. The X is just an optional sport package that included Saturn Yellow or Apollo White (in 1970. '71 & '72 could have came in any color), stripes, spoilers, and a hood tach. That said, my dad owns a real #s matching, stock '72 Buick GS Stage 1 that other than lower compression and smog equipment is the same engine as a '70. It won Motor Trends Car of the Year in '72. The Buick Stage 1 was called the HEMI killer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtHASgpeng"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtHASgpeng[/ame]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 172
I know a guy who has a 1/2 dozen gs/gsx cars and he'll tell you he's never killed a hemi with any of them ,the most obvious omission is the car voted and considered the best all around muscle car { not by me } the Olds 442 , my boss has 8 of them but won't race my little barracuda with any of them LOL

Most of the cars on the list are pretty cool cars but I think the list is way screwed up for a list of muscle cars. I've got to agree with Frankie.... large big block, 400+ HP, and 400+ Tq makes a muscle car. When did a 1966 Muttsang raise to "Muscle Car" status?? I hear the owners of 289 Muttsangs and 350 Crapmaros referring to their cars as "Muscle cars" all the time. 429 Mustang or 427 Camaro yeah, but when I think of a muscle car it's a big motor Mopar most likely optioned with a heater and radio. The 413 and 426 cars were the standard to measure up to....

#2 always pops up on lists like this and I don't know why. Awesome car...... Without question, but it is a sports car not a Muscle car.

The hemi darts could not be licensed for street use, that's why they are never on the list.

Just curious, why couldn't the dart/barracuda be licensed for street use? They had a title didn't they?

Always thought a Z16 Malibu was pretty cool despite being a Chev.

Just curious, why couldn't the dart/barracuda be licensed for street use? They had a title didn't they?
Besides street safety features the 23 ran the race 426 slitely different from the street version. Don't quote me on this but I beleave they call the race Hemi a 900 series. I remember when Landy ordered his. That really hooked me on Mopar.

Besides street safety features the 23 ran the race 426 slitely different from the street version. Don't quote me on this but I beleave they call the race Hemi a 900 series. I remember when Landy ordered his. That really hooked me on Mopar.

I remember reading an old mopar artical back in the 80's where someone had traded in their daily driver hemi dart at a car lot somewhere up north, with no smog laws really here in the south back in the 60's it wouldn't have taken much to make one halfass street legal...

As far as the 427 Cobra goes, it was street legal !! And they would run 12.2 @ 118

COBRARoadTest.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/from-the-cd-archives-shelby-cobra-427-road-test-nov-1965/

427COBRA.jpg

As for the Hemi Darts and Cudas go, a couple were street driven.
They were not supposed to be licensed but DMVs were a lot more relaxed back then.

I remember reading an old mopar artical back in the 80's where someone had traded in their daily driver hemi dart at a car lot somewhere up north, with no smog laws really here in the south back in the 60's it wouldn't have taken much to make one halfass street legal...

Your right. I think the difference was just the crank. The dino testing back then was not accurate. I had read that the street Hemi was closer to 500 HP

I own zero but my cousin who is a ford guy has a boss 302. Its a nice car for a FURD.

there used to be a Boss 302 that drove around town occasionally. Beautiful cars (but the guy who owned knew better than to get beside a Duster with a fully built 340:angel7:).

I thought they were bill of sale cars no title and no Vin tag but I could be wrong

They did have titles and certainly had VIN Tags.
And the motors were your basic Hemis.

For a real Super Stock Hemi race motor, you have to go back to the 64-65 Super Stock cars.

12.44 @ 115

4-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

Well, I'm not going to get into all the definitions of a "muscle car"...but all the big-block Ford and Chevy drivers that got beat by my old 340 Dart Swinger back in the "muscle car days" sure thought it had some muscle.

Well, I'm not going to get into all the definitions of a "muscle car"...but all the big-block Ford and Chevy drivers that got beat by my old 340 Dart Swinger back in the "muscle car days" sure thought it had some muscle.

:thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh:

Never owned any on that list, but wouldnt mind owning a few of them! LOL ..

-
Back