10 muscle car-era features that need to come back

-
I don't understand why someone would want drum brakes back or no power steering. Does it really rob your car of that much power to use power steering...I mean these are street cars people not factory race cars!

Dodge needs to go buy a new mustang. Then they need to make a challenger like it. Not look like it but weight about the same. Give it 400plus hp stock in a rt. Then go after the ford and chevt guys! That's what they need to bring back. Also someone be able to buy the car for less than 30k. Not a ford fan but the new 5.0 is one of he nastiest stock car.

Long hoods, short decks. Muscle car or not, cars don't look right with the wheels pushed all the way to the bumpers.

Wheels with a dish. Modern wheels are depressing.

Gears.

Make cars weigh less than 3,400 lbs. Two things I realized when I was a tech: 1) there is a mind-boggling amount of wiring in modern cars. Individual components don't weigh much by themselves but when you have 400 computers in the car, it all has to be wired together somehow. Getting to that stuff is no easy task either. It never ceased to amaze me how much stuff was in my way and how far I had to go to get to some things.

2) I think it gets taken for granted now but there is also a great deal of sound deadening material and insulation. That crap was the bane of my existence when I was a tech. No customer could tolerate any noise, even moronic people who bought soft-top Jeeps.

And to the guy that said bring back carbs - no way manufactures will ever go back to carburetors. Plus, with gas generally over $3.50 you wouldn't want them to. Imagine trying to control a carb with OBD II.

Cars are marketed like a living room or an office on wheels now and driving is almost an afterthought. As a culture we continue to pony up for more and more useless crap. Maybe one day that will stop.

I agree on the elimination of electronic components and create a more basic car. Example. Ford EDIS mid 90s. My 96 4x4 ranger is manual everything , no ac and simply edis / efi. Had 1 minor failure in 210k and still runs like a swiss tuned top. I even drove it thru the woods a million times and it still fails to fail.

Cars are marketed like a living room or an office on wheels now and driving is almost an afterthought. As a culture we continue to pony up for more and more useless crap. Maybe one day that will stop.

I think this is the answer to all the questions that have been asked here unfortunately :wack:

I just wish I could walk in, and order exactly what I wanted in a car, as opposed to Option 'A' or Option 'B'. Damn bean-counters.....

Pre OBD 2/Can crap,all the electronics nowadays. A simpler setup. Yes ,I know how fast the new stuff is. All I ask: Minimize the E.P.A. barking dogs,make it work.

I just wish I could walk in, and order exactly what I wanted in a car, as opposed to Option 'A' or Option 'B'. Damn bean-counters.....

Over priced over engineered junky cars, difficult for average joe to work on and fully dependent on the dealership is the optimum way to make money.

I want points and a BB 727 3.23s with triangle corner windows in a 69 coronet RT. 11" manual drums all around. Green with white stripe and white interior. let the EMP come. Only thing that will fail is my radio.

I think this is the answer to all the questions that have been asked here unfortunately :wack:

I watch 'Roadkill' which is a video magazine on You Tube. Its Frieburger and FInnegan from Hot Rod. They drive around in various vehicles doing silly crap. It's a great show.

Anyway, they were talking back and forth during one of their adventures and had some insightful observations that struck a chord with me. I don't remember exactly what they said but it went something like ...

..."Cars are like appliances to most people. That's why they're all silver blobs. It's really too bad as a culture that you can't talk about your car with the person next to you at the gas pump." ...

The reality is that car guys are still outsiders in 2013.

2) I think it gets taken for granted now but there is also a great deal of sound deadening material and insulation. That crap was the bane of my existence when I was a tech. No customer could tolerate any noise, even moronic people who bought soft-top Jeeps.

I was about to pipe up earlier reading this thread and I am sure some will disagree. I did buy a 2011 R/T Challenger and was so unhappy with all the isolation and heavy feel that I traded it in a year later. It was nothing like a newer version of a muscle car to me. I traded it on a soft top Jeep 2 dr. This thing is so great. Roll up windows, noise, road feel. I really enjoy it. It has a manual trans and goes 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds and the quarter in about 15 flat and gets around in the snow no problem. I really think if you want the older car vibe in a new car you will enjoy one of these. I know I do.

at least the charger I rented still has a "modern" flip top gas cap

1413019_10201802748642907_838792957_o_zpsb0547607.jpg

I wish they would bring back that annoying abrasive sounding buzzer when you had the key in the ignition and the door open, instead of all these stupid little annoying tones and dings that new cars make.

Here's one,...Howzabout a "standard' transmission that is a "REAL" Manual shift transmission,...that means three pedals on the floor folks...Yes It is available on some, but it is becoming increasingly rare...

And for gawd's sake,...Why in hell do I need a tach on a car equipped with an automatic and a rev limiter????

No cat, no computer,only one vacume line for the advance and plugs put where you can get to 'em without pulling 400 pounds of plastic off. No lights to tell me it's time for an oil change of if a tire has low pressure, lap belts, wind wings, real chrome bumpers. An air cleaner that looks like an air cleaner. Chrome knobs on the dash instead of plastic buttons,
No stupid bell that tells me my seatbelt is not on or my door is ajar. If I'm to stupid to need a bell to tell me my belt isn't on or a door is open then I probably should not be driving anyways. LOL
Luke

ACCESSIBLE WASHER FLUID CONTAINERS!!! What was wrong with the containers that were mounted on the inner fender??? I went from a 89 s10 with the fender mounted container to my 99 neon with the container behind the bumper and a little hole through the inner fender. What a pain!

I want a stripped down, light weight hard top or a coupe with a fastback, muscular sheet metal, late 60s/early 70s proportions, small bumpers no more than 2 doors and a BIG motor... is that asking too much?

Simplicity is a huge part of what makes these cars so wonderful.

Also...how about cars that look right with 15"-16" wheels? I understand the benefit of big brakes that won't fit into smaller wheels but the proportions of cars these days demand 20" wheels and I can't stand it. :p

You're in luck on that one...The current muscle cars all have true dual exhaust. The Mustang and Camaro (IIRC) do have H-pipes but that could be deleted if you wanted...which would be a dumb idea, IMO. The Challenger has no H pipe anyway.

If it uses the same setup as the 300C, Charger, & Magnum, it has a large central muffler fed by both pipes.

Wth would one want manual steering back for?
Only the one-direction racey-peeps would want that when their engines don't provide enough power to win from the other guy.
For that I would say more engine power, but that hardly seems the issue anymore today.

:)

I would rather have manual steering...after driving many vehicles without it (from 1600lbs to 36,000lbs), I honestly do not see the big deal about power steering.

windows that you can actually roll down and still hear the radio or carry on a conversation without hollering, and get air moving through the vehicle. The worst I had was a 95 Neon, 2 door with no air, roll down both windows and the wind just boomed in the back seat.

-
Back