10 x 1.75" Drum Install

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Is it possible to install SBP 10" x 1.75" rear drums once the drum assembly is fully assembled? I ask because I need help putting the drums together so wanted to build them is a mechanic friend of mines shop and then take them back to my garage to put on along with the axles.

Is this possible?

The shoes have to be assembled on the backing plate first and then the drum is slid in place.

The shoes have to be assembled on the backing plate first and then the drum is slid in place.

What about the backing plate? Can it be bolted to the axle housing once the shoes have been installed? I'm worried there won't be enough room to wrench them on once the shoes are installed onto the backing plate.

What about the backing plate? Can it be bolted to the axle housing once the shoes have been installed? I'm worried there won't be enough room to wrench them on once the shoes are installed onto the backing plate.

You're goin/ the long way around the mountain. It's MUCH easier to install the brake components on the backing plate after it's been installed,

although

I guess it could be done the way you say..

but....why?

You're goin/ the long way around the mountain. It's MUCH easier to install the brake components on the backing plate after it's been installed,

although

I guess it could be done the way you say..

but....why?

Not really sure why yet, just trying to plan for anything. I figured it was possible too, may need an angled wrench but that's easy.

Thanks for the replies.

I think you will encounter great difficulty doing it in that fashion. The backing plates need to be anchored in order to facilitate installing the shoes. The springs are a LOT stronger than you might imagine. You will find that out the hard way I am afraid if you try to install the shoes on the backing plate without it being bolted to the axle housing. But you know what? Different strokes for different folks. If you think you can do it, knock it out man. I think you're gonna have trouble with it. Good luck if you decide to try. Wear safety glasses.

Yes, you can install a complete backing plate assy. onto the axle housing and then install the axles if you really want to do it that way. You may have to take the self adjustment cable loose until the axle is bolted in. As it's been mentioned, it's much easier to install the backing plates first, then axles, then e-brake cables, then brake parts.

I think you will encounter great difficulty doing it in that fashion. The backing plates need to be anchored in order to facilitate installing the shoes. The springs are a LOT stronger than you might imagine. You will find that out the hard way I am afraid if you try to install the shoes on the backing plate without it being bolted to the axle housing. But you know what? Different strokes for different folks. If you think you can do it, knock it out man. I think you're gonna have trouble with it. Good luck if you decide to try. Wear safety glasses.

What he said. Plus you will have to have taken the axles out to get the backing plate off or disassemble part of the front steering to get the front plates off. Lots of work.

-
Back