10pt cage & keeping the back seat

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 10pt cage in my Demon and I am trying to figure out how / where to relocate the bars to in order to put my rear seat back in the car.

The main vertical hoop and front seat bar are far enough forward to clear the bottom seat, but the (2) down angle bars that tie the main vertical hoop to rear frame rails would go into the seat.

Can these be located more forward if I tie the frame rails together?

Anyone got some pics of how you did yours.

I know this has t be a simple fix, but my brain just doesn't want to pick it up today.

I have seen cars with the two rear support bars going throught the package tray and into the trunk. They might have to be mounted to the top of the hoop though.

Those would be the (2) upper bars. I already have them routed way above the rear seat and through the speaker holes. Those I figured out just fine. The (2) in question are the ones I listed above. I put them in to clear the bottom seat they would be mounted to the rear seat pan only and never hit the frame rails. Logically that doesn't seem right to me.

Could you post a pic of the cage? That might help the imagery.

I'm thinking you are talking about the rear X bars that tie to the frame rail in the vicinity of the shock mount right? Is the car back halved?

Just wondering, does NHRA care which one of the tubes for the X-brace is the cut one? Seem to remember some one telling me that the one that starts behind the driver has to be the solid one but :dontknow:....and why does it matter?

Just wondering, does NHRA care which one of the tubes for the X-brace is the cut one? Seem to remember some one telling me that the one that starts behind the driver has to be the solid one but :dontknow:....and why does it matter?

It doesn't matter. When we did my car we didn't cut either one, just fish mouthed it and overlapped them. The car is NHRA certified to 8.50. If I add the door X bar it would be good to 7.50.

It doesn't matter. When we did my car we didn't cut either one, just fish mouthed it and overlapped them. The car is NHRA certified to 8.50. If I add the door X bar it would be good to 7.50.
Just another case of fuzzy memory on my part.....thanks for the clarification....

Like this...

4766143-33.jpg

It's a Valiant, same idea for a Demon.

Here are the pics of the bars I am referring to. Couldn't get better pics at the moment, if needed I will run across town to the warehouse for some clearer pics.

I am referring to the (2) pipes that angle down to the floor, from the seat cross bar. You can see the one between the two seats angling down. I want to remove the rear seat metal tin and put my rear seat back in the car.

MVC-169S.JPG

MVC-170S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

Do the bars land on top of your frame connectors? If so, they really need to remain in place.

I've had my back seat in and out with a similar looking cage set up. It's a dance to get it in.

a few pics of my Junk, a buddy bent it up for me. i have rode people in the back seat, its just a little bit of a ***** to get back there.

summer09016.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

HPIM0079.jpg

HPIM0080.jpg

HPIM0317.jpg

P6300144.jpg

Those bars are supposed to weld to the frame rail, subframe connector directly. They are not to be welded to 6x6 plates as the rest of the bar is. They can run in line with the crossbar. They do not need to be angled backwards.

Here's a pic of mine

361169974.jpg

Do my bars land on the frame of frame connectors: They angle backwards to land on the frame since I do not have frame connectors. But I plan to add them. In which I should be able to move the bars.

I'm not too concerned with the NHRA rule book since the car will most likely not be raced but a couple times a year and just in test & tune classes. I am taking my 11 sec drag car and making it more road and user friendly, just didn't want to completely cut the cage out. I figure it I put the interior back in it will also help cut down on the road noise.

Speaker holes like crackedback posted.

Wrong bars. That was the easy one for me to figure out.

Talking about the (2) short angled bars right behind the front seat. I think I got it figured out though. By adding in frame connectors I will have a solid frame tie to relocate these short angled bars to in order to fit the rear seat.

Install more than just a lap belt for your rear passenger(s) with a full cage back there.......

Wrong bars. That was the easy one for me to figure out.

Talking about the (2) short angled bars right behind the front seat. I think I got it figured out though. By adding in frame connectors I will have a solid frame tie to relocate these short angled bars to in order to fit the rear seat.
yep.

so lets say u get the bars figured out and get the seat in! good job!

now ur friend manages to climb back there! even bigger feat!

then u slam on the brakes because some a hole pulled out infront of u...

he will have no face when he kisses that cross bar...

just dynomat the floor and cover it with carpet, then a divider also with dynomat and carpet on it.

i would never climb in the back of that car stairing at that bar...

so lets say u get the bars figured out and get the seat in! good job!

now ur friend manages to climb back there! even bigger feat!

then u slam on the brakes because some a hole pulled out infront of u...

he will have no face when he kisses that cross bar...

just dynomat the floor and cover it with carpet, then a divider also with dynomat and carpet on it.

i would never climb in the back of that car stairing at that bar...
x2

Just a quick question. The crossbar that runs behind the seats. Does it have to be level or could one end be high and the other low? It would make entry much easier to the back.

Just a quick question. The crossbar that runs behind the seats. Does it have to be level or could one end be high and the other low? It would make entry much easier to the back.

pretty sure it has to be level with the shoulders i think??

If it must be level with the shoulders I would think it is intended for a racing harness mounting point.

-
Back