11.5's

-
BJR racing that would have to be the worlds fastest 318. Not trying to be smart but you should be proud of the what that combo runs. I guess what most are saying is what they see most smallblock cars run. Most 318 builds like you have that you see on the street are 13 second cars at best. But most dont know how to tune and set a car up right either. The 400 in my sons Dart ran 10.90's @ 122 at 3100 lbs in a race Duster but in my sons 3600 lbs Dart (with him in the car) its run 11.59 @ 116 and it is a true real street car. Bottom line is that I think its great the kid is doing what he wants and building a muscle car and not a ricer ! So we have to help steer him to build what he wants the best we can. Just remember keep it simlpe and make the best of what you use in the combo. Ron

I agree, that he needs help and I think that the way that I put the statement up was taken out of context, I didn't mean it in a the way that it sounds. In fact I was happy that he was going to do things his own way and when he was getting so many ideas from so many different people including myself that I could see him getting very confused. As having talked to him he now understands what I ment with what I have said. I apologized to him as I believe that he took it the same way that everyone else did. My point was this, that I have engines on stands that I could sell him for the amount of money that he is wanting to spend on his and get him where he wants to be.
I have to say that I'm proud of him as he wants to do as much as he can, as he can so as to learn everything that he can about his car and power train. Kudos to him!

BJR Racing

383man,allot of amazing power can come from small motors and low ET,s if done right.Take for this instant,a super stock SS/LA 65 chevelle 327 we ran in 76.We had many national event wins,and division wins with a 327 running 11.40 with the wheels 3 feet in the air and making 450hp from it.I will get a few pics out and show you.If a person Wants to maxamize the total power of a car and small motor,you should copy to a point a super stock dart/duster/demon and see the times these guys pull off in NHRA trim.Now they have to use only certain parts from the factory,and certain after market type parts as well.You can stretchthe rules even farther and be as fast or faster?You can make some serious big time HP from a 318,if you listen and under stand the reasoning behind the way you need to approach the motor.Bigger is not better,more expensive is not better,knowing the limits of what can and can not be used to help your combo is the key!Big carbs and big valves will kill your motor,and even buying a set of eddy heads will too.You want to run just on the edge of the max of your combo,to make the max torque and HP for your driving situation.You are going to tell us the who,what and where of the way you intend to drive,and not the guy on the next site,this way you set the pionts of goal and we help you get there and beyond.Mrmopartech

This one of many times we went south of the boarder and won.This is the 76 SportNationals in Bowling green Kentucky,the best go to these meets and you can say that a small motor can,t perform,if that was the case,the little 4cyl and V6 jap motors would not be running times of 7,8,9 second runs,thay all have pistons and valves,and its a compressor no matter what.I am on the right of the picture,and thats like 30 years ago,and I am not going to say how old I was either.If you want power,between me and BJR,you will have what you need and more and do it for less,Mrmopartech

terry-sm.jpg

Oh dont get me wrong I love smallblocks and bracket raced one for years. I was just stating that the 318 build mentioned built by the average street car driver wont touch the 11's or 12's. Sure the right built 318 in the right car will fly as even my buddies 340 E/SA Duster has run 10.70's but its a very trick eng and car. That same combo built in a street car may not even hit the 11's. The same goes for any combo. It just depends who built it and who is fine tuning the most out of it. Oh and most fast Jap 4 cylinder cars are not running on the eng. You know how them power adders double your horsepower with no trouble. Ron

If the average guy does not listen to all sides of story or just goes off in one direction with no real info behind them,disaster will be forth coming.Is a SS/IA car tricker than a street car,for sure,but if a person plays his/her cards right and does not have the rule limitation as a SS/ car does,he/she can out perform just about any one on the street with less motor and expense if approached the right way.The key is understanding what you have,and how to use it in the most effective way possible with out over sizing parts that will never work for your combo.Mr.Greaser is on the right track to becoming a good,one day great mopar driver by learning why it works and what does not and why that is so.To many people just bolt on item A,B,and D,with out knowing why and its affect.Any one that is spending the time to reasearch a product and ask why,when that part works best is person who is going to understand quickly and be way ahead of the game and play it better than every one else,Mrmopartech

Mrmopartech, You were old enough to grow a mustache!..................LOL. So now you'r really OLD!

BJR Racing

All I grow now is long white hairs and drink canadian beer all day long and build motors for freinds and customers and show them how to run a motor on 9% alcohol beer.When my american freinds come by they tend to be blists after two canuck beers and I am still going after 2-3 cases of that so called USA beer.BJR,this old dog is going to teach a even older dog some new tricks,Mrmopartech

Mrmopartech said:
All I grow now is long white hairs and drink canadian beer all day long and build motors for freinds and customers and show them how to run a motor on 9% alcohol beer.When my american freinds come by they tend to be blists after two canuck beers and I am still going after 2-3 cases of that so called USA beer.BJR,this old dog is going to teach a even older dog some new tricks,Mrmopartech

Oh, I get it now you build alky motors..........................hehehehehe :wav:

Now all he needs to do is take that avatar off and put something cool in it's place.

Good luck, the bowl blending and gasket matching you can do your self with a dremel and some stones. It took me about 8 hours to do my heads.

You can get there, just don't rush it.....

Instead of stones get a good carbide, for these reasons, as they are faster and safer, being that they wont shatter and blow apart at high speeds. Also use full face protection as pieces will be flying everywhere. Been doing this for 25+ years and have many a piece dug out of the ol eye balls even with the full shields. Carbides don't create as much dust or get you as dirty.
The last time I was at the ol eye doc to get a piece out I told him that I was there to donate to his checking account, for a once a year donation. Needless to say he was laughing and the eye felt better soon after. You will want to spin the carbides as slow as you can, first so they don't over heat and stop cutting and second to keep them sharper longer, also use some lube like WD-40 or a light oil like trans fluid, even nozzle dip from a welder works very well. The main thing is to take your time and be gentle with the tools, if you force it (the tools) they will work you to death, but by taking your time the tools will cut easier and faster. Have enough grip to hold the driver and a light touch and you'll be fine.

BJR Racing

-
Back