11 to 1 on pump gas

-

bentman

Reaction score
can you run a ll to 1 on 93 octane if the time is set around 28 to 30*?

We are going to need a little more info on the motor. Aluminum heads? Camshaft duration?

We are going to need a little more info on the motor. Aluminum heads? Camshaft duration?

I agree, i'll assume it's a Abody but weight and gear would help also. Just trying to see how much load is on it.

In houston your right at sea level, even with 93 octane you'll be hard pressed running it on 11.1 with iron heads, detination city, you'll need to pull way too much timing & you won't be happy with the perf., shoot for around 9.8 or there abouts with good quench, modern heart shaped combustion chambered heads work wonders also.

reverse cooling. water to heads, then to block. Dont know how to do it in a SB, but the B/RB guys can do it with a shogun water manifold between the pump and the block.

reverse cooling. water to heads, then to block. Dont know how to do it in a SB, but the B/RB guys can do it with a shogun water manifold between the pump and the block.

Run a magnum cover on an la engine.

11:1 on an iron head, relatively small cam, pump gas, near sea level....BAD idea.

Sure it will run. I am at 11+ with iron heads. I can rumble through town if I keep the load off.

But it's really kind of pointless. You will have all this power that you can't use. Hell, a Geo Metro would probably beat you in a drag race, at least it won't be in chronic detonation when hammering on it, like you would be.

I run over 11.1 on pump gas! iron headed 360, at sea level in the heat no problem and i only get 91 octane california crap fuel.

Sure it will run. I am at 11+ with iron heads. I can rumble through town if I keep the load off.

But it's really kind of pointless. You will have all this power that you can't use. Hell, a Geo Metro would probably beat you in a drag race, at least it won't be in chronic detonation when hammering on it, like you would be.

Almost made me spit coke all over my laptop. Best answer yet.

if you know you the ABDC of the cam you can figure out what the Dynamic compression is and that will tell you if you can. most say 8.5-8.6 is 91 and 8.7-8.9 is 93,

if you know you the ABDC of the cam you can figure out what the Dynamic compression is and that will tell you if you can. most say 8.5-8.6 is 91 and 8.7-8.9 is 93,

I'd like a link to that information. I am in the process now of trying to figure if I will be able to make my slant run on pump gas with the cam and compression I have. Everything I read says 8:1 DCR is max on pump gas with iron and 8:5 with aluminum. So far, I've seen nothing different.

On a side note, detonation isn't always heard. You guys build your engines however you want. But no way no how are you gonna run a blueprinted 11:1 motor with iron heads on pump gas without detonation. Anybody says different has been readin too many BS posts on forums from people that probably have never built an engine. Without quench, 9.2 is about it. With quench, probably 10.5 or so. You're gonna waste a lot of money if you listen to the wrong people.

I'd like a link to that information. I am in the process now of trying to figure if I will be able to make my slant run on pump gas with the cam and compression I have. Everything I read says 8:1 DCR is max on pump gas with iron and 8:5 with aluminum. So far, I've seen nothing different.

On a side note, detonation isn't always heard. You guys build your engines however you want. But no way no how are you gonna run a blueprinted 11:1 motor with iron heads on pump gas without detonation. Anybody says different has been readin too many BS posts on forums from people that probably have never built an engine. Without quench, 9.2 is about it. With quench, probably 10.5 or so. You're gonna waste a lot of money if you listen to the wrong people.

just search it. It is every I have looked, I know I ran magnum heads, but i ran 8.6 DCR on 91 and DCG33 runs 8.7 on 89.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=155297

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180583

there are A LOT more, but here are some from this fourm.

I hope you are right because my slant is coming up with some HIGH numbers for pump gas.

I hope you are right because my slant is coming up with some HIGH numbers for pump gas.
I am just going by what others are telling me and what engine builders like MRL and IMM have told me. You do not need to listen to me, my car is also in Ca at Sea Level. I had Kb107 at 0 deck which was actually 10.9 with 62-63cc magnum heads and a xe274.

My slant is comin up with like 8.67 DCR and 10.482 SCR. I wasn't tryin to be contrary with you, just that I've read different stuff. All this DCR stuff is kinda new to me anyway, so any help is a plus.

My slant is comin up with like 8.67 DCR and 10.482 SCR. I wasn't tryin to be contrary with you, just that I've read different stuff. All this DCR stuff is kinda new to me anyway, so any help is a plus.
Well altitude(sp)? plays a big part also. I will be running I think it is 8.8-8.9 DCR with magnum heads and 91 octane in Ca at sea level. Brian at IMM said he ran this same setup in INDIO Ca which is below sea level and ran fine. I will be mixing gas for break in though. After that i will carry some 110 in the trunk to mix just in case. But If I run 91 on 8.8-8.9 which most are saying needs 93 then I will be a happy kid! :burnout:

-
Back