12 SI Alternator, 78 or 100 Amp?

-

odie601

Reaction score
I am updating the wiring on my 1971 Demon 440-727 combo. The car will be mainly street ;) since the closest track is over 3 hours away. Using a American Autowire Highway 22 kit, AAH trunk long wire kit, trunk mount battery, 4-pole battery disconnect, Autometer gauges, headlight relays, and electric fuel pump. My 440 is mounted with a MRE motor plate so the alternator will be some custom low mount position. I want to use a Denso SI 12 alternator with either 78 amps or the 100 amp version. I know the 100 amp will run a little hotter. I may add electric fans later. I just don't like doing things twice when I coulda-shoulda-woulda. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
:sign3:

as long as you have the proper gauge wire for the amps and if your using any connectors that they can handle those amps. Normally on a stock harness you run into stock wire gauge, bulk head connector, and amp meter not being able to handle even the HO stock ones...

67 will jump in and add anything i messed

You pretty much covered it for factory wiring, LOL but sounds like he is modernizing everything.

Do away with the bulkhead connector, and ammeter, and be sure to use adequate wire gauge. The battery feed to the interior that came with my Painless kit I bought "slightly used" was marginal, and I doubled it

You pretty much covered it for factory wiring, LOL but sounds like he is modernizing everything.

Do away with the bulkhead connector, and ammeter, and be sure to use adequate wire gauge. The battery feed to the interior that came with my Painless kit I bought "slightly used" was marginal, and I doubled it

What wire size did you use for that? I thought I read 8 or 10.

I'm using two no 10s. I'd use that or 8

I guess you realize that originally, all charging current went INTO the interior, through the ammeter, back OUT the interior, and to the battery, along with interior car loads, ignition, headlights, etc

By properly rewiring the car without the ammeter, you eliminate the charging current "going in" so in a sense you relieve some of that strain. But adding modern electronics, etc, you still want plenty of capacity

I would run a 4 or 6 gauge I'm running 4 on my 136 AMP 03 hemi alt. I discontinued my amp gauge and the wire is running right to the battery cable on an external solenoid.

I would run a 4 or 6 gauge I'm running 4 on my 136 AMP 03 hemi alt. I discontinued my amp gauge and the wire is running right to the battery cable on an external solenoid.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the OP was referring to the feed into the interior.

But for the charging line from a (100A) to the battery, at least no6 especially if it's got a "one wire" regulator in.

I have had many a Mopar melted amp gauge wire or heater wires. That's why I am using an aftermarket harness. lol Any one using a Denso alternator?

I have had many a Mopar melted amp gauge wire or heater wires. That's why I am using an aftermarket harness. lol Any one using a Denso alternator?

subscribed to this, getting ready to do the same thing. battery in the trunk-1 wire, self reg. alternator. thinking small 80 to 90 amp, under the motor plate.
ford soleinoid on the fire wall. any comments , or advise?-----------------thanks , bob:coffee2:

-
Back