12V Cummins Into An A Body

-

Demon1320

Reaction score
A question??

has anybody on this site looked at what it would take to swap a P-pumped 12v Cummins into an A body chassis? Has anybody done it? Just curious.

Darin

That's a lot of weight!!! I haven't seen it. I've seen all electric dusters, dusters with Japanese turbo'd 4 bangers, small block chevy's, but not that.

Thought this was just talked about a week or so ago???

I think someone was working on it... The single rail, big turbo, full tubular chassis. So long as the entire chassis is built for the weight, it's not a problem. But the only thing you're going to re-use is the exterior sheet metal.

I missed that one. What was the story? Engine too big/heavy without heavy modification?
Don't remember exactly where it was going, but wieght was mentioned a few times as well its size and the general question of why?

How about a 4b cummins ? I put one in a 1970 chevy short bed 4x4 and know its heavier than a big block.

Fast quarter mile ETs from modified ones or not, I can think of a lot better places to stick a Cummins, namely in a pickup to pull my car trailer.
I dare say even the most efficient of them would be hard pressed to get 31.4 miles per gallon on the highway at 288,000 miles like the slant in my Feather Duster did a couple of years back (miles driven verses gallons used on a trip using several tankfuls after replacing the clutch if you doubt the accuracy of my measurements).

Not sure about an A-Body, but here is one in a 70 Monty Carlo.

My guess is that you would want a full frame under it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_kjaxIDzc"]1970 DMC Diesel Monte Carlo '99 Cummins turbo 24 valve - YouTube[/ame]

And a Chevelle

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhgXSlEFncw&feature=related"]Duramax Chevelle 11.6 at 120mph - YouTube[/ame]

Thought this was just talked about a week or so ago???

Sorry, missed that posting. What tweaked my interest was an article in Diesel Power (I subscribe) of a 1994, 9sec 1/4mile Mustang that gets 30mpg running good old #2.

Despite the weight/dimensions, one would think the advantages would obvious given that we are getting upwards of 1200+hp and 2000ftlbs out of a 360ci engine on a relatively tight budget, add the fact that it may have never been done (that I know of) with an A body makes me go hmmmm. Or perhaps Im just a masochist.

Darin

I think it's a cool thing, just not my forte. I like deisels in trucks. I dont like the smell or the sound of them and too much of those two senses are what I like about gasoline engines. I respect what they can do. But they won't ever be more than a workhorse for me and in fact, I don't like seeing them race even in trucks. Too much soot. The place ends up smelling like the inside of a stove pipe or a bus station...lol

A 12 valve with trannie is around 15 hundred pounds [thats why us ram guys have to take our trucks to a heavy truck shop for an alignment] most regular shops won't do them.

-
Back