13/16" Tie rod ends

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I heard its a good idea to put a set of C body 13/16" tie rod ends on an A body. My buddy gave me a set off a 76 Newport. Will these work with '74 lower ball joints on a 66 Dart? Anybody ever try these tie rod ends, or is it a waste of time?

After a little more research, I guess they are 11/16" not 13/16". Anyhow, are these worth it, or not? Are the sleeves short enough to work an an A body?

I haven't ever tried to use them so I don't know if the tie rod will fit the ball joint but if it does you can always cut the sleeves down if their too long but to be honest unless you drive over rough roads all the time or put alot of miles on your car I don't think you really need to upgrade them. The stock ones are adequete for a A-body car and usually last as long as the rest of the suspension does.

Yes, they are usable, they use the same size tapper holes and are a heavier duty build than the 9/16th's that the A body got stock.

I don't realy think there is any need to beef them up unless you are planning to race the car. but even if the TRE was to large for the tapered hole in the knuckle you can ream it out to accept it. if you guys are wanting to realy beef it up go with the 3/4 ton chevy stuff from the mid 80's it is 7/8". that is what I am planning to use on my Early Bronco...but it is for off road only

The C body adjusters will fit and are worth installing. I am run the solid sleeves that are avaliable from pure vision and I could tell a difference first time I drove with them installed. The steering just feels better. The factory sleeves must flex a lot.

11/16" tie rods Upgrade
The 11/16" tie rod and sleeve set-up that works in virtually all muscle-era Mopars, A, B, and E-body, are just stock replacement 1974-'78 C-body parts. '74-'77 C-body Tie Rod ends bolt into place of the stockers, and are thicker/more rigid to resist torsion/bending while turning. You will have to use the C-body adjusters, but a cheap way to improve your handling. Tell the guy behind the counter that you have a 1975 Newport or some other landbarge.

74-77 C bodies used a beefy 11/16" tie rod setup. These will bolt right up to your Challenger and give some added strength but look completely stock. These are also Moog numbers.
ES352R.....outer tie rod, 11/16 (need 2)
ES355RL.....inner tie rod, 11/16 (need 2)
ES440S......adjuster sleeve (need 2)

don't quoate me on the part numbers. may still work but may have changed. i pulled this info directly from an article online.firm feel sells them as well. i have the firm feel 11/16 on my demon. not a waste of time.

I'm a front end guy from way back and I can tell you that it is well worth it.
Every Mopar I have ever picked up got a fresh rebuild on the front end and I have always upgraded the tie rods to the larger ones. They don't cost anymore than the stock replacement stuff and it is actually a noticable difference. (For me at least.) I haven't tried the solid sleeves yet, but have used them on some of the General Mayhem stuff I work on at the shop. I can only imagine it would be a benefit. Maybe after I get the Roadrunner back on the Road, I'll try 'em on the Valiant.

Revhendo

-
Back