13 sec. 360 for $3,000?

-
It may have been said already, but a 360 with KB107s and some magnum heads with a XE 274 cam and 750dp should be fun with a nice gear too

My bone stock 72 340 Duster with g 70 14’s and 2.02 J heads, thermoquad,a 727 /what ever stock stall torque converter and 3:23 gears in a 8.75 rear would run 14:10-13:90 @ sea level.
I added some Headers, 2.5 exhaust and H 60 14 Goodyears which got me into got me to 13:60-13:40. It should be easy to get to where you want.. I agree with the magnum short block and heads because they will bump compression and the magnum has roller cam.

I lost most of my times at the light or in the 60ft..

It may have been said already, but a 360 with KB107s and some magnum heads with a XE 274 cam and 750dp should be fun with a nice gear too

yup.

like i said i have a good friend with a 66 barracuda that goes 12.50's.

his combo at the time was:

mid 70's 360 stock bore. just honed. no deck work.
kb 107 pistons. no rebalance or anything done.
stock smog heads.
MP Hemi grind cam (280° Hydraulic: P4452992) in straight up.
open spitfire headers
it does have a good dynamic 9.5" converter.
904 trans with low first.
8 1/4 with a 3.21 gear.
tires were 24" slicks if i remember correctly.

he was running a street tunnel ram and dual 390 carbs at the time of those times.. we did install a performer RPM intake and 780 carb and it ran better, especially down low but never took it to the track like that..

Actually, I've not owned a 360 in a A-body that wouldn't run 13's. Even my 2.45 geared - stock exhaust manifolds - stock torque converter 360 ran 13.9's.

Vehicle in question. Unfortunately, not as light as an a-body, and hence probably atleast a few tenths slower then every combo posted here so far. Low 13s is the goal, anything better is extra!

IMG-20230924-WA0030.jpg

Vehicle in question. Unfortunately, not as light as an a-body, and hence probably atleast a few tenths slower then every combo posted here so far. Low 13s is the goal, anything better is extra!

View attachment 1716147671
I like the Aspens and Volares! Yes, it is heavier. But not earth shattering. What would run a A-body low 13's would run that wagon mid 13's like nothing.

View attachment 1716147671
I know it isnt what you had in mind but I have always wanted a mild 440 in volare wagon. It would be such an easy swap.

I did this in the seventies. I bought a low mileage 360 (6000 miles) but it had a split bore. I think I paid about $300 for it. I was given a set of second hand 340 pistons so I sleeved that bore then sent it 040 over and fitted the 340 pistons! My dad being a pre war motorbike racer and tuner forbid me to use a reground cam as he said it destroys the valve gear geometry and said I could only use a billet cam from the states but in those days it took a long time to get any thing. So the standard 360 cam it was but with the high compression of the 340 pistons. I was an eighteen year old apprentice so money was tight so I did a bit of clean up of the ports on my 360 heads and made my own headers with an oxy torch and stick welder and dual exhausts. Car was about 3300 lbs with 4 speed manual and 323 diff and ran mid 13 sec qtrs @ 102 mph straight away. I think It never cost more than about $500 to build that motor back in the day and was considered fast for a street car of the day and idled like a stocker.

I put a 380-360 together back in 05 using a stock bottom end from salvage yard. New rings, bearings, timing chain, mopar top end kit (springs rockers pushrods guide plates) plus an M1 intake and valve covers. Maybe $1100 in it. still not in the Duster, lol. If you have that goal buy a 250 shot of nitros

I borrowed this from a post I made in the 12 second post area. Your are heavier than my old duster but you get the idea.

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member​

FABO Gold Member
JoinedApr 20, 2016Messages13,071Reaction score29,519LocationFreeport, PA.
I sold my first Mopar that I strip and street raced to a friend that was into dirt track racing and he asked if I would build him a nice little small block. This was probably around 38 years ago so I said yes and he said how much would it cost him. I told him 5 dollars plus parts and he laughed. With the five dollars we bought a bag of jawbreakers that we all chewed on while building the engine
340 stock pistons and out of the box rings
Polished stock crank recon rods
Slightly polished set of J heads
484 purple shaft cam
Portasonic intake
750 Holley
3200 pound Duster with super stock springs
727 with J convertor
1 7/8 headers
8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 or 4.30 gears
First time at the track for him he went 12.40’s
Next week he took 2nd and ran 12.20’s
We always laughed and refered to it as The Jawbreaker Engine.

yup.

like i said i have a good friend with a 66 barracuda that goes 12.50's.

his combo at the time was:

mid 70's 360 stock bore. just honed. no deck work.
kb 107 pistons. no rebalance or anything done.
stock smog heads.
MP Hemi grind cam (280° Hydraulic: P4452992) in straight up.
open spitfire headers
it does have a good dynamic 9.5" converter.
904 trans with low first.
8 1/4 with a 3.21 gear.
tires were 24" slicks if i remember correctly.

he was running a street tunnel ram and dual 390 carbs at the time of those times.. we did install a performer RPM intake and 780 carb and it ran better, especially down low but never took it to the track like that..
Part of why im against a piston for more compression is having to rebalance. Im surprised with kb107s he didnt need to, as i think they are considerably lighter then the stock 360 pistons

I know it isnt what you had in mind but I have always wanted a mild 440 in volare wagon. It would be such an easy swap.
Such an easy swap eh? LOL
Definitely would love to,but not super easy and definitely isnt going to keep me in my current budget, or retain the factory a/c on this small block that I plan to use

That's an expensive way to make horsepower. Reliability becomes an issue.
If youre safe and not greedy, nitrous is not a reliability issue. In fact the only thing stopping me from adding a bottle is the ridiculous prices for nitrous bottle fills here.

I borrowed this from a post I made in the 12 second post area. Your are heavier than my old duster but you get the idea.

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member​

FABO Gold Member
JoinedApr 20, 2016Messages13,071Reaction score29,519LocationFreeport, PA.
I sold my first Mopar that I strip and street raced to a friend that was into dirt track racing and he asked if I would build him a nice little small block. This was probably around 38 years ago so I said yes and he said how much would it cost him. I told him 5 dollars plus parts and he laughed. With the five dollars we bought a bag of jawbreakers that we all chewed on while building the engine
340 stock pistons and out of the box rings
Polished stock crank recon rods
Slightly polished set of J heads
484 purple shaft cam
Portasonic intake
750 Holley
3200 pound Duster with super stock springs
727 with J convertor
1 7/8 headers
8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 or 4.30 gears
First time at the track for him he went 12.40’s
Next week he took 2nd and ran 12.20’s
We always laughed and refered to it as The Jawbreaker Engine.
Nice! Im convinced my stock bottom 360 i built with the ported rhs heads would have ran a high 11 with automatic and converter since with the 4 speed it was still under geared with 4.10s and 28s

Nice! Im convinced my stock bottom 360 i built with the ported rhs heads would have ran a high 11 with automatic and converter since with the 4 speed it was still under geared with 4.10s and 28s

You know as you have been around long enough the right combo of non race parts can go pretty fast. I sold a Very nice 340 machined ready to go, diamond pistons, Scat rods, and what made me sell the combo was a cast scat crank. Rings cam and everything was included balanced ready to go. I knew with a good set of heads it would be low 10’s high 9’s and I wouldn’t be comfortable with that crank. It’s so nice that we have the parts available at the right price (used)

If youre safe and not greedy, nitrous is not a reliability issue. In fact the only thing stopping me from adding a bottle is the ridiculous prices for nitrous bottle fills here.
My point was a reliable nitrous engine can not be built for 3000 bucks and the overall cost of keeping the bottle full over the long term has to be considered.

Such an easy swap eh? LOL
Definitely would love to,but not super easy and definitely isnt going to keep me in my current budget, or retain the factory a/c on this small block that I plan to use
Surprisingly super easy. Easier than an a body and they are easy. Modify the k member just like an a body or use conversion mounts. B body headers fit. But you have a point on the AC I don't know what compressor mounting looks like for that swap. You would need a big block patter 727 also.
Not trying to push you. Just a thought. By all means run what you have to work with.

Do you nitrous guys really feel any pride and satisfaction from putting nitrous on a car to run 12’s or 13’s. I just don’t get it.

here's an older video... this stock 340 is nice
stock cam, smooth idle, quiet through exhaust manifolds, good mileage and nice street performance.
certainly not for the quarter milers.

-
Back