14 inch wheels and hub caps 1965 Barracuda

-

Ooh barracuda

Reaction score
thinking of installing a set of original Hurst wheels on my 1965 Barracuda.
I would like to know the value of my original steel wheels and 14 inch hub caps.
they are in near perfect condition.
your thoughts?

Keep them in case you ever want to sell the car. Collectors will only pay top dollar for perfect, original cars. Keep all the original parts with the car. Once they are gone, your car becomes a dime-a-dozen.

Any complete, original 50 year old car is VERY RARE to find, you will be foolish to mess that up.

I sold a near mint set of the 14" ones minus the lug its for $200 and was glad to get it! They're not worth as much to sell as they are back on the original car IMO! Geof

Original 14x5.5 wheels $50 ea.
14" hubcaps $50ea.
Lug nuts $2-3 ea.

Would be my guess, wheels are perfect for any early formula s or valiant. I, d buy the lugnuts, wheels and caps would cost to much to ship.

I agree though they should be kept with the car.

I do not want to keep them as if I do swap them over for the Hurst wheels, I need to change my car to 4.5 bolt pattern as the Hurst wheels are4.5....After doing that, I would never change them back. So keeping the wheels and caps would only take up space in my garage..... here are a few pics of the car and the wheels I want to use, Keep in mind, I will also swap over the white wall tires to the hurst wheels....

The tires are nice... do they come with the wheels and hub caps? Could you bring them to Carlisle in July? If yes, I'd like to make an offer- they'd go great on my '65 Valiant.

The tires are nice... do they come with the wheels and hub caps? Could you bring them to Carlisle in July? If yes, I'd like to make an offer- they'd go great on my '65 Valiant.
I plan on using the white wall tires on the Hurst wheels.
and I will be going to Carlisle in July.

I love those Hurst mags, also love that sweet fish....but I would have a hard time swapping the SBP for BBP just to run them, have you thought about using adapters?

I would value your rims, at $200, covers at $250, and $100 for the lug nuts (if they are the factory correct long ones).

The wheel covers need to be repainted....the silver paint is thin and the black paint is missing, the plastic center logo looks faded. But they look super nice but not mint. Those lug nuts don't look correct so they are not worth as much if that's the case. Good luck and post pics with those mags on it.....gonna look cool :glasses7:

I love those Hurst mags, also love that sweet fish....but I would have a hard time swapping the SBP for BBP just to run them, have you thought about using adapters?

I would value your rims, at $200, covers at $250, and $100 for the lug nuts (if they are the factory correct long ones).

The wheel covers need to be repainted....the silver paint is thin and the black paint is missing, the plastic center logo looks faded. But they look super nice but not mint. Those lug nuts don't look correct so they are not worth as much if that's the case. Good luck and post pics with those mags on it.....gonna look cool :glasses7:
I think adapters would push the wheels out too far and they would look wrong.
the wheels covers are VERY VERY NICE and they really do not need to be painted.
no fading on the logo, maybe the picture.
lug nuts are correct.

Save 'em...their original to the car, not reproduced and will take you long time to find another set and longer that are just as nice... I even bought a spare set for my '66 when I realized the lugs don't hold them onto the wheel in case I lose one driving or somebody steals 'em.

I think adapters would push the wheels out too far and they would look wrong.
the wheels covers are VERY VERY NICE and they really do not need to be painted.
no fading on the logo, maybe the picture.
lug nuts are correct.

Lug nuts look to have a flat face on them, the original ones have more of a "point", covers should have flat black paint in the fins or "louvers" area. You are right about the adapters, probably stick out farther.

Keep them in case you ever want to sell the car. Collectors will only pay top dollar for perfect, original cars. Keep all the original parts with the car. Once they are gone, your car becomes a dime-a-dozen.

Any complete, original 50 year old car is VERY RARE to find, you will be foolish to mess that up.

x2

So what good does it do him to keep them if he has to convert to the big bolt pattern for the Hurst wheels? He did say he didn't want to take up room in his garage and was only asking for a value.

There are two widths of the small bolt pattern 14" wheels, 4 1/2" & 5 1/2".
If the wheels are the wider 5 1/2" then they are worth about $200.
If I was selling the hub caps I would sell them for $125, which is about half of what they went for about five years ago.
The original lug nuts can be hard to find so maybe $50 to $75 for all twenty of them.
Not sure about the cool red line tires.
I hope this helps.

Great looking Barracuda!
Enjoy it!
It'll look great with those new wheels.
I don't think there's any reason to keep the original wheels, it's just clutter and other than us here on this board nobody is concerned with the originality of A-bodies.

i say add on to the gargage to make room for the original wheels and then tell the wife NOW there is room for another Mopar!!!!!LOL ( you can tell i have experience with Mopars and X wives!!????)

i say add on to the gargage to make room for the original wheels and then tell the wife NOW there is room for another Mopar!!!!!LOL ( you can tell i have experience with Mopars and X wives!!????)
Wife here LOVES cars we have many of them.
she actually owns a 1970 T/A Challenger 340+6 with a 4-speed that she bought 22 years ago

Lug nuts look to have a flat face on them, the original ones have more of a "point", covers should have flat black paint in the fins or "louvers" area. You are right about the adapters, probably stick out farther.
I did not know that the covers should have black on them...Can you tell me more details? where should the black be? only on the insides of the area or all of the area?
anyone with pictures?

I did not know that the covers should have black on them...Can you tell me more details? where should the black be? only on the insides of the area or all of the area?
anyone with pictures?

Here is a pic... Hub Cap 65 with black in the ribbed area and also an outer line that circles...
Note: I had to wet the black areas so they would show up... They are really Flat Black...

And... on the Lug Nuts... They do have a point... The shorter one would be for the 4.5 wide rims and the longer Nut would be for the 5.5 wide rims that came on the Formula "S" cars...

Attachments

• Hub_Cap.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 507
  • Nut_Short_Long_2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 522
Here is a pic... Hub Cap 65 with black in the ribbed area and also an outer line that circles...
Note: I had to wet the black areas so they would show up... They are really Flat Black...

And... on the Lug Nuts... They do have a point... The shorter one would be for the 4.5 wide rims and the longer Nut would be for the 5.5 wide rims that came on the Formula "S" cars...
Cliff, thanks for posting the picture.
why is there no silver paint on it?
as far as the lug nuts go, you and I have discussed this and you told me that mine should be correct as my car is not a formula S

Yeah, the silver paint got wore off on that hub cap... I guess I did not notice you had no point on your lug nuts at the time... My eyes aint that great... Sorry

Clif...that Barracuda looks a bunch like yours, no???

Ah, Yeah 65Val... It sure does... excepting for the wheels and White wall tires... And the fact I still have the single exhaust w/exposed resonator... :D It's a cool Cuda :burnout:

clif of Az.:coffee2:

-
Back