14" magnum wheel problem

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Barracuda that I just put 73-76 Duster disc brakes on. These are the 10" rotors. I have a set of the all chrome Magnum 500 Wheels. Two are 6" and two are 6.5". When I mount them on the hub, they hit the calipers. Just barely. I also have a set of 14" Magnum road wheels that fit and don't rub. However...... I like the 500's better. Now what? Thanks

I guess you should use the ones that dont rub are they both 14 inch or 15 and 14?

I have a 1968 Barracuda that I just put 73-76 Duster disc brakes on. These are the 10" rotors. I have a set of the all chrome Magnum 500 Wheels. Two are 6" and two are 6.5". When I mount them on the hub, they hit the calipers. Just barely. I also have a set of 14" Magnum road wheels that fit and don't rub. However...... I like the 500's better. Now what? Thanks

Let me re-phrase this:

I have a 1968 Barracuda that I just put 73-76 Duster disc brakes on. These are the 10" rotors. I have a set of the all chrome 14" Magnum 500 Wheels. Two are 6" wide and two are 6.5". I was going to put the 6" on the front. When I mount them on the hub, they hit the calipers. Just barely. When I put the 6.5" on, they also rub the caliper. They rubbed about an inch of paint off on the top and bottom outside edge of the caliper. The calipers are mounted to the rear because of the early model sway bar. What are my choices? Grind the caliper a bit, buy some spacers, grind the wheel? Thank you to those that try to be helpful.

Those wheels have been around a very long time. Who knows how many different widths and/or back spacing's may have been offered.
They either fit or they don't. I wont recommend grinding or spacers to accommodate that particular wheel. In my opinion they aren't worth the effort.

You might be able to run spacers. You can "try" them by going downtown and buying a box of say, 5/8 flat washers, stack them and try them, different thickness. Do NOT use the washers on the road, just to try things out. If all you need is 1/8, 1/4", etc, you could actually make a spacer out of plate steel or aluminum

But Redfish, those wheels look sooooooooo good on a 2nd gen. Barracuda! I picked those over the Cragar SS. I think I will try the spacer method for a while. Looks like after the pads wear down there will be more room in there. When did they stop making those wheels? I didn't think they made them for very long. Obviously, there's no way they would fit the large 11" disc brakes

I ran into the same problem on my 75 Scamp. I think it may be due to a different caliper rather than the rim. It only was a problem on one of my calipers. I ground down the caliper a little bit. It worked without rubbing but I ended up going with ralley wheels.

Re phrase or not, i have mopar road wheels that take a trim ring and i can put these on my 73 dart sport with disc brakes , and nothing rubs .As far as the magnums they came on phords and chrysler products and none were 15s, all 14 inch from chrysler, unless you buy them aftermarket Stockton ect .Not sure what phord used.

There's been many many versions of the "Magnum 500" TYPE wheels over the years.

kt340sport - The road wheels don't have a problem with rubbing, it's the chrome wheels. I just prefer the chrome wheels vs the road wheels. Both are 14". The road wheels came off of a 68 Fairlane, but I don't know where they came from originally. Both are nice wheels, along with slotted mags, rally wheels, Cragars, Americans, etc. It would be nice to change your wheels according to mood the way you do with shoes! i'm going to grind a little off of the calipers to see if that will do. It won't take much. Thanks

-
Back