15 Gallon Tank?

-
A

Ace

Anybody know if it is possible a '74 Duster came with a 15 gallon tank? I thought my car was having some sort of issue, because the gas gauge dropped pretty quick and fill ups were too frequent. MPG is OK averaging 14, which is good for the 340 the way I drive it, using the 3rd and 4th barrels quite often. Seemed like it never took more than about 10-12 gallons at the gas station. So yesterday I put a can in the trunk and ran it until it quit. Fill up then only took 15 gallons.

Tks...

Ace, have you checked to see if that tank has a big dent in it? I don't remember what the official capicity is supposed to be, but I've had a few Duster/Demon cars, and I'm sure they held more than 15 gals, and that's Imperial gallons, even biger than your US gallons.

To my knowledge (with is limited with 70s cars) a-bodies came with 17 or 18 gallon tanks depending on the year. I suppose a 15 is possible AFTER the first gas crisis (keeps people from panicking at the pump when the cost reaches a whopping $10).

Nope no dents, and I thought I read somewhere that 17 was supposed to the number. I was going to pull the sender and try to see if maybe it was bent up or something. After seeing Dusterb's comment, I think I'll just leave it alone and install a cell for some added capacity.

The service manual for your year car will tell you. It's in the "Specifications" section. I found out that there were a couple of different size tanks for my '65 'cuda. They held either 18, 19, or 21 gallons.

Just checked my Chrysler info book, 72 - 76 A body 16 US gallons. 1971, 17 gallons. 67 - 70, 18 Gallons. I never knew this, good thing somebody asked! I didn't even realize the tanks were different, or my book is wrong.

Thanks for confirming that, Keith. Can't figure out how people put with the frequent fill-ups these things require. I went a little crazy on the fuel system upgrade and installed a six gallon auxiliary tank. It has an electric pump that dumps it into the main tank with a dash mounted switch, and is vented to the outside. Used a portable boat tank. It is easily removeable before heading to the track. I'll post some pics soon as I get a chance...

Ace said:
Thanks for confirming that, Keith. Can't figure out how people put with the frequent fill-ups these things require. I went a little crazy on the fuel system upgrade and installed a six gallon auxiliary tank. It has an electric pump that dumps it into the main tank with a dash mounted switch, and is vented to the outside. Used a portable boat tank. It is easily removeable before heading to the track. I'll post some pics soon as I get a chance...
:thumblef:

Hey caveman, that's one purdy Valiant ya got there! I'm smack dab in the heart of the country, near Denver, CO.

Can't figure out how people put with the frequent fill-ups these things require.

I don't think the average person put on the kind of miles we do these days. I seem to be getting around 12-13 with my 360. that's with ME driving it, and it's running rich. Not bad...of course I know a guy with a Charger SRT8 and he gets 22mpg highway...with 420hp!!

-
Back