15 vs. 14 inch rims

-

mrichard

Reaction score
All- just purchased a stock (bone stock) 39,000 mile survivor. It has relatively new tires on 14 inch rims. Anything I need to know about bumping up to 15 inch rims and slightly wider tires? May want to do this at some point.

thanks,

Mark

dart8.jpg

That car will have the small 4" bolt circle wheels, there was never a factory 15" wheel in that bolt circle. You will be limited to aftermarket wheels and there is not a large selection.

I run 215-70 R14's on all 4 corners. Fills the wells nice and JUST fits on the stock rims!
You need a set of "Redline" Dog Dish's for her too!
The ones you have are from '73 up I do believe.

Later,
Bruce B.

Thanks. I actually put the larger hubcaps on it when I got it. Found them in the trunk, completely new. Take a look - also spent about 24 man hours buffing, waxing, buffing, rubbing, waxing, waxing to bring back the finish. It's looking GOOD, but that first coat just sank into the paint!

Dart.jpg

I am picking up some Scamp 71 "Dog Dish" style 14 inch rims today with tires. I am placing them on my 1964 Dodge Dart Gt in order to get away from the stock 13 inch rims without paying a hefty premium for the factory alternative of Cragar rims. Summit carries these, but I will have to wait another year to fund this option. Any ideas for dressing these up with an aftermarket hubcap? By the way your car looks excellent!

All- just purchased a stock (bone stock) 39,000 mile survivor. It has relatively new tires on 14 inch rims. Anything I need to know about bumping up to 15 inch rims and slightly wider tires? May want to do this at some point.

thanks,

Mark

Actually I liked your car better with the dog dishes.
Does your car have a Slant 6 ?
If so I wouldnt go any bigger than a 205/70-14 tire. You can install them on your 14x4.5" steel wheels.Any bigger dogs a stock slant.

If your car is a 318 I would go to either a 14x5.5" factory Steel or Rallye wheel,with a 215/70-14. BFG T/A of course,white letter out.If you go with a steel wheel,painting them body color is the way to go.
Here is a pic of my 70 with the 14x5.5" with 215/70-14 tire,red-line dog dishes.

Hart Basketball 036.jpg

The small bolt pattern will limit your choices. I had Crager ss 14 X 6 (4" bolt pattern) wheels on my duster, which looked great. I had 60 series bfg radial t/a 225's up front, and 245's in the rear. The 245's ballooned a bit on that 6" rim, so I later switched to 235's all the way around. In the end, it's up to you. I happen to like the dog dish look though as well.

Here are some pictures of the Crager's on my Duster. Ignore the duct tape on my passenger side drip rail--I had a nasty leak, only thing I could think of at the time to stop it.

100_0005.JPG

right side of duster.jpg

-
Back