15 x 10 tire suggestions

-

Heywodja

The Heartbeat Stops Here
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 15 x 10 x 7 5/8 BS.

I am looking for some 27 ~ 28 inch tall tires that will fit on the wheels without a bunch of sidewall bulging outside the wheel lips.

I will admit I have always thought backspacing and offset is sorcery and I never really have understood it. These wheels seem to fit pretty well.

256287F7-43BF-4AB1-97D0-BAE158CDEBF3.jpeg

4082319A-5645-4020-9BA5-31F4A879D63A.jpeg

D6B017A3-22FA-46CA-8790-1FDED875EAE3.jpeg

Take a picture of the back side of that wheel, hard to believe it has 7 5/8 backspacing. What cop car wheel is 10 wide? None of the mopars I know of.

Take a picture of the back side of that wheel, hard to believe it has 7 5/8 backspacing. What cop car wheel is 10 wide? None of the mopars I know of.
Aftermarket makes them. That car must have the springs relocated.

Yeah, there is NO WAY 7 5/8" BS will have that much room from the spring on an a body without work. My 4.5" BS barely have that much room

I had some small boat center lines with the crazy backspacing like that before and mini tubbing and relocating Springs was a must

5.5” B.S. is probably what they have easy to measure with a straight edge across the back of the wheel and measure from straight edge to mounting surface

I have 9” cop wheels with a 275/60/15. If you have a 10” and room for the tire in wheel wells , I would go 325/50/15 or 315 or 295 availability dependent

Aftermarket makes them. That car must have the springs relocated.

My car is mini tubbed and springs relocated.. i will get a pic of the front and back tomorrow.

My centers are mother Mopar, they have the pentastar stamping and 4 tits for mounting the hubcaps.

10x7.5 with the springs relocated is common and pretty ideal.

As far as tire selection I have run MT 28x12.50's on those wheels (Sportsman pro an Sportsman I) The latter of those two is a really outdated look. I used them around Y2K

Op, we need more info on what you plan to do with the car. Are you looking for slicks, drag radials, or just street tires, or autocross. Intended use determines recommendation.
If you want minimal sidewall bulge (section width) look for a tire with section width an inch to an inch and a half wider than the wheel, and tread about an inch narrower. I would look at 60 series aspect ratio, maybe 275/60x15. Up to a 10"rim, 28 tall, 10" tread width.

Last edited:
I am on the fence regarding drag radials vs a street radial. I have a 408 with about 500lbs of torque, I will primarily be driving on the street, but will need the ability to keep traction when necessary.

I have never driven drag radials so I am not sure whether they handle very well, but handling is a big part of my driving style, not just straight line acceleration.

Or... he could have an E-body 8 3/4 under an A-body.

I have a standard width A-body rear axel housing, I have mini tubbed it and relocated the rear springs to the frame rails with the USCT kit.

Looks like they are really 15x10 but the back spacing is 7 7/8”

5748A901-DC76-4388-B2D3-562C28ADCBA5.jpeg

867EE893-9E2E-4CE3-962C-1AED69510641.jpeg

699A18A2-3FBF-4F46-852E-F47680F0C782.jpeg

3ECB4BB0-87CF-4022-8366-5841D54E2F6C.jpeg

8ED1A73C-AB61-4D60-AFD7-05DABBC498EB.jpeg

Nitto and toyo both make more "street friendly" drag radials. I don't know if they make the size you want (the tend to make the larger wheel sizes).
M/T and Hoosier make more drag-intended radials, as does M&H. They handle fine, maybe not as good as the toyo or nitto.
You DONT want M/Tdrag radial pro, et street bias, or quick time pro, those are all basically drag slicks with a couple grooves.
For more street: Nitto NT555Rll in 275/60Rx15
For more track: ET street R or SS, in the same size.
If you decide on pure street radials, there's probably fifty to chose from.
BTW, I love the look of the stock-steelie-with -hubcaps and big tires tucked in look.
And if you have room on both sides to the fender and springs, you can run lots more than 275s on a ten inch rim.

Last edited:
Well, the tape measure says he has two inches until he hits the spring. That’s a bit of tire raised off the wheel.

It’s the wheel opening I am concerned about @ 7/8”

It’s the wheel opening I am concerned about @ 7/8”
The section width is your problem then (Assuming you don't have a full open wheelwell). The deal is: the wider the rim, the wider the tire needed.
You might have to go to a 255, but that is quite narrow for a ten inch rim.
The 275 (accord8ng to Tiresize.com) is 10.8", but that is probably measured on an 8/8 1/2 rim, section will be wider on your 10". Call it 11.1or 11.2, you will have a sidewall bulge toward your fender of about .6" .Very tight, might work.
What body style, and how high is the rear?

Well, the tape measure says he has two inches until he hits the spring. That’s a bit of tire raised off the wheel.

The section width is your problem then (Assuming you don't have a full open wheelwell). The deal is: the wider the rim, the wider the tire needed.
You might have to go to a 255, but that is quite narrow for a ten inch rim.
The 275 (accord8ng to Tiresize.com) is 10.8", but that is probably measured on an 8/8 1/2 rim, section will be wider on your 10". Call it 11.1or 11.2, you will have a sidewall bulge toward your fender of about .6" .Very tight, might work.
What body style, and how high is the rear?

72 Dart Swinger, stock openings. I recall Chip Foose had a clearance problem on one his cars he did, he used a piece of wood between the tire and wheel opening to pry a little relief

72 Dart Swinger, stock openings. I recall Chip Foose had a clearance problem on one his cars he did, he used a piece of wood between the tire and wheel opening to pry a little relief
Base ball bat works good. Just roll it along with the tire.

I use the nitto drag radials.
@cannucky can attest to the nitto drag radials as he has driven across the country twice on the same tires. Last i heard.

nitto was the only one with a wet rating for a drag radial.
just my .02

Last edited:
-
Back