15 x 7" Slotted Mag fitment problems

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I tried putting a pair of 15 x 7" slotted mag wheels on the front of my '70 Duster with 215/65R15 tires and the tires rub the outside fenders pretty bad when turned a little bit. I was looking for wheels with more backspacing but Terry at AKH Vintage Wheels told me aluminum slots were never made with more than 3.5" backspacing in that size. What have been your guys' experiences with this? What are my other options? Would 15 x 6" wheels fit with the same tires or will they still rub?

i ran a 195/65/15 on a 15x7 cragar with 3.5" backspace with no rubbing. you may need a smaller tire.

Attachments

• d83.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 474
My 73 Dart uses 15 x 7 Magnum 500s that I believe are 4¼" BS with 205/60-15 tires. No rub.

The 72 Demon uses 15 x 7 Police steelies that are also supposed to be 4¼" BS but am using 235/60-15 tires. No problem out back. No rub out front under normal circumstances. Really hard bumps on sharp turns will cause the outboard tire to crash against the inside of the fender. Presently, the car has stock /6 springs. I think that will change with the 1.05" TBs going in this spring.

FWIW, I tried 255/60-15 on the police wheels on the Demon without success. Stockton Wheel told me the max that would fit was a 235/60-15. A 235/60-15 tire is 26.1" tall, a 215/65-15 is 26" tall. IMO, the tire is not the problem, a wheel with more backspace is needed. Hope this helps

I have a 71 duster with the same size front tires as you, and I'm running them on 15x7 rally wheels. no rubbing issues at all. my rims have a 4-1/4 " offset. I would say your tires are fine, you just need a different offset rim.

OK that's what I figured. Damn though, I really wanted to run these wheels they look great. I'll just have to order a pair of cheapo steel wheels from Summit with the correct backspacing. Thanks guys...

if you really like the rims , YOU CAN USE THEM ,just put a smaller tire on them, a 195/65/15 looks good and doesnt rub.

Well a pair of steel wheels off Summit is cheaper than another set of tires. I'd rather keep running the ones I have in the front and save the money for a big set for the back (255/60R15 or similar). Actually I may just look for a pair of Rallye wheels this weekend at the big swap meet in Denver, or see what else there is that might fit. Depending on how much money I spend I'll probably sell these slotted mags that I have.

Well a pair of steel wheels off Summit is cheaper than another set of tires. I'd rather keep running the ones I have in the front and save the money for a big set for the back (255/60R15 or similar). Actually I may just look for a pair of Rallye wheels this weekend at the big swap meet in Denver, or see what else there is that might fit. Depending on how much money I spend I'll probably sell these slotted mags that I have.
is that the TRi-lakes meet up there next weekend? do you have a 5 on 4 or 4 1/2 pattern

is that the TRi-lakes meet up there next weekend? do you have a 5 on 4 or 4 1/2 pattern

Yeah the Tri-State swap meet, are you gonna be there? I have a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern (so far only in front, haven't swapped the rear axle yet but still have wheels and tires for the back).

tri-state is what i meant, great meet up there. the reason i was asking about your bolt pattern is i have 5 stock steel 5x4 rims with great tread if you needed them. i am going to try to get up there, i wasnt sure when it was.

tri-state is what i meant, great meet up there. the reason i was asking about your bolt pattern is i have 5 stock steel 5x4 rims with great tread if you needed them. i am going to try to get up there, i wasnt sure when it was.

Yeah that's this weekend Feb. 4-5, link to the website is HERE. Thanks for the offer but I'm looking for big-bolt-pattern stuff now.

Im looking for a set of slots and have an extra set of 14" BBP 4.5 ralleyes. Shipping would probably suck lol

OK I bought a pair of Rallye wheels, 15 x 7" with 4.25" backspacing... these will fit on my car right?

OK I bought a pair of Rallye wheels, 15 x 7" with 4.25" backspacing... these will fit on my car right?
yes they will work, just be careful of how big of a tire you put on them. a 215 or 225 60 series may rub on the inside when you turn. i would use a 65 or 70 series on the front, but thats just my preference. i have read around that some people were having rubbing issues with a 60 on a 15 x 7 rim, but not enough to really hinder the application.

-
Back