150mph speedo?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
anyone ever converted a standard square A body 120 mph speedometer into a 150mph speedo. I'm sure it would be easy enough to have a custom layover 150mph face made.....but as far as calibrating the speedometer goes does anyone have any suggestions?

I simply bought a used 67/68 150 MPH speedo for $45 and had it refurbished for $59 and swapped them out. It wasn't that hard. I also got the trip odometer and twist knob with the 150 speedo. The hole location for the twist knob is in the dash already so it made it easy to convert on my '69 Barracuda.
So to answer your question....no, I haven't
treblig

I simply bought a used 67/68 150 MPH speedo for $45 and had it refurbished for $59 and swapped them out. It wasn't that hard. I also got the trip odometer and twist knob with the 150 speedo. The hole location for the twist knob is in the dash already so it made it easy to convert on my '69 Barracuda.
treblig

your cuda would have the round Rallye style dash speedometer, I'm trying to do 150 to a standardard 70 and later square speedometer. So it looks like a 67 GTX speedometer.

treblig
Who did you have refurbish your speedo? I have one but it has a light surface rust in one area.

I just installed custom http://www.speedhut.com/ gauges in my e-body. GPS speedo is great, change gear ratio, tire sizes and speedo is not effected. They will work with your custom idea's /designs. Great company IMO.

Interesting, i dont want to swap out my guages......i want my square speedo, but i wonder if i could retrofit it to run off gps like the ones you have.

Electronic and mechanical are 2 completely different animals.
A instrument/speedometer service can convert your standard mechanical instrument and calibrate it to a 150, or 200, or maybe 1000 mph screen. They would take it apart, alter the fly weight of the drum and /or change the strength of the magnet inside the drum. It wouldn't be cheap. If the instrument has significant wear in its spindle, etc.. anything short of complete restore would be a waste of money.
Poor boy method... create a custom screen and change speedo drive gear at trans to get it closer to accurate.

Look for a metric Speedo from our Canadian friends, they go to 200 kph but iirc, they don't say kph.

The key word from the OP "square". As in Duster cluster..... If you can get the new decal then it wouldn't even have to be A 120 SPEEDO. I would like to try one of these Dakota aftermarket digital units...

dak-vhx90fmuskb_oh_ml.jpg

Who did you have refurbish your speedo? I have one but it has a light surface rust in one area.

Give me a little time to find the invoice, I don't remember the guys name off hand. I was very happy with his work and his prices.

treblig

Where can you get different speedo drive gears?

Some of us collected them over the years. Junk yards, transmission shops. You can also get in line transducers / ratio adapters to change the ratio that way if you know how much you need.

speedo.jpg

-
Back